Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

Alexion wrote: »
    That’s confusing! From what I see ucc are 57* at the moment- I think there will be offers issued still as people are always changing their mind re distance and everything. Are you on 57? It’s all so sporadic this year

Yep on 57 here and my random allocation number is 560 which isn't too shabby i think so i'm keeping everything crossed trying to stay optimistic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Alexion

hrvo1998 wrote: »
    Yep on 57 here and my random allocation number is 560 which isn't too shabby i think so i'm keeping everything crossed trying to stay optimistic :(

Yeah things are always changing! I didn’t get my random number from UCD but they said I was above most applicants on the waiting list so it’s possible I’d get an offer if someone dropped out... it’s awful waiting, where did you get your random number from? Is it the same for all colleges?

Yeah things are always changing! I didn’t get my random number from UCD but they said I was above most applicants on the waiting list so it’s possible I’d get an offer if someone dropped out... it’s awful waiting, where did you get your random number from? Is it the same for all colleges?

so you have a different random allocation number for each college and you can find out what it is by just emailing the CAO and requesting them. i got a reply back within a day actually it was surprisingly quick... From reading previous threads, posters have said that the number is between 0-999 and the closer you are to 999 the more you're "next in line" for a spot i believe?? if that makes sense haha

You also need to remember that there could have been people from UCD who received an offer for RCSI on friday so its consistently shifting and places are opening up! so definitely don't lose hope ;)

hrvo1998 wrote: »
    so you have a different random allocation number for each college and you can find out what it is by just emailing the CAO and requesting them. i got a reply back within a day actually it was surprisingly quick... From reading previous threads, posters have said that the number is between 0-999 and the closer you are to 999 the more you're "next in line" for a spot i believe?? if that makes sense haha

You also need to remember that there could have been people from UCD who received an offer for RCSI on friday so its consistently shifting and places are opening up! so definitely don't lose hope ;)

Ah I see! God it’s such a lotto! Thanks, it’s all such a luck game! Have you accepted Limerick in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

You were above? What does that mean....

• Advertisement

You were above? What does that mean....

I guess near the top of the list... was quite vague!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 redser1

I still can't believe UCC haven't contacted yet... its a bit disconcerting

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skrrskrr97

bella11 wrote: »
    Well done on improving your score! Are you heading to UCC this year?

Sorry I only just saw this. Yeah, I'm heading to UCC - are you?

I still haven't received registration details from them yet, but did receive an email to another question I had which said they will contact us this week with these.

I guess near the top of the list... was quite vague!

Can I ask who did you email exactly? I emailed a health sciences email and got a very angry email back saying only CAO deal with that...I have a place rented in Dublin atm but I don't want to give it up if there's the possibility I could get UCD... I haven't been to Cork since I was a small kid so I put it last but now I'm regretting that decision as I really dont like Limerick at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

Can I ask who did you email exactly? I emailed a health sciences email and got a very angry email back saying only CAO deal with that...I have a place rented in Dublin atm but I don't want to give it up if there's the possibility I could get UCD... I haven't been to Cork since I was a small kid so I put it last but now I'm regretting that decision as I really dont like Limerick at all.

I’m not surprised. I get the impression that UCD don’t want questions at all and want it left to the CAO but then again whenever I ask the CAO anything the tell me to ask one of the colleges!

• Advertisement

I’m not surprised. I get the impression that UCD don’t want questions at all and want it left to the CAO but then again whenever I ask the CAO anything the tell me to ask one of the colleges!

That's exactly what happened :P I emailed CAO and UCD simultaneously and UCD said to contact the CAO and the CAO said to contact UCD! I emailed the same question to the CAO last year and they had no problem telling me where I was on the list but my number was pretty low and points didnt drop so maybe they didn't mind telling me as they knew I had no chance of getting UCD.

Ask for your random number - is it Limerick as a place or the course? I know I wouldn’t be suited to self directed learning myself so that’s whh I avoided it but I think as a place it’s improved a lot in the past few years

Ask for your random number - is it Limerick as a place or the course? I know I wouldn’t be suited to self directed learning myself so that’s whh I avoided it but I think as a place it’s improved a lot in the past few years

As a place...it's a long story but my sister moved to Limerick and that's when her life started to turn to ****, like spiralled, and then something awful awful awful happened, so awful she dropped out of her course and had to leave Limerick. I turned down a place on medicine last year as I didn't think my family could handle the stress of my sister's situation and them me leaving my stable job to go do a financially draining course that would have meant never seeing my family either, too much upheaval at once. So I think I just have super negative connotations with the place because of it. I was never a huge fan of it tho. I love Dublin and somehow managed to find a room near the city centre in a nice house for 365 euro...I'm looking at daft atm and the houses aren't anywhere near as nice and are looking for 500 for a room! Also it takes less than 3 hours to get to Dublin from my home house but over 7 hours to get to Limerick. Given my sister's situation she kind of needs to see me as often as possible, she has a few things going on, and I'm pretty much her only emotional support.

Which email may i ask tho? I emailed CAO and they said to email UCD. I emailed UCD health sciences and they said to email CAO. I had asked my random allocation number from the both of them.

As a place...it's a long story but my sister moved to Limerick and that's when her life started to turn to ****, like spiralled, and then something awful awful awful happened, so awful she dropped out of her course and had to leave Limerick. I turned down a place on medicine last year as I didn't think my family could handle the stress of my sister's situation and them me leaving my stable job to go do a financially draining course that would have meant never seeing my family either, too much upheaval at once. So I think I just have super negative connotations with the place because of it. I was never a huge fan of it tho. I love Dublin and somehow managed to find a room near the city centre in a nice house for 365 euro...I'm looking at daft atm and the houses aren't anywhere near as nice and are looking for 500 for a room! Also it takes less than 3 hours to get to Dublin from my home house but over 7 hours to get to Limerick. Given my sister's situation she kind of needs to see me as often as possible, she has a few things going on, and I'm pretty much her only emotional support.

Which email may i ask tho? I emailed CAO and they said to email UCD. I emailed UCD health sciences and they said to email CAO. I had asked my random allocation number from the both of them.

That’s horrible! You’re best to contact admissions at UCD, that’s who I emailed

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Totally understandable wanting to be nearer to your sister but I hope you saw the Dublin accommodation before you move up. Lived in Dublin my whole life and haven't heard of a room near the city centre going for 365 ever. I live 10km out and the rooms near me are 600 for a single room! Just be careful with that! I have heard of people charging 300/400 for a room but there might be multiple bunk beds in it. I hope for your sake it is that cheap 😊

ma003 wrote: »
    Totally understandable wanting to be nearer to your sister but I hope you saw the Dublin accommodation before you move up. Lived in Dublin my whole life and haven't heard of a room near the city centre going for 365 ever. I live 10km out and the rooms near me are 600 for a single room! Just be careful with that! I have heard of people charging 300/400 for a room but there might be multiple bunk beds in it. I hope for your sake it is that cheap ��

Nope I seen it-the catch was that you had to walk through a bedroom to get the bedroom I would have been renting. I say would have, I already have the deposit and first months rent paid, but I got in contact with UCD and it was not good :( 15 people ahead of me on the waiting list. They basically told me nooooo its not going to happen. :(:(:( I actually dont think I can move to Limerick with my sister's situation, the more I think about it the more I realise its an impossible situation, its why I turned down a place last year. What makes this year any different. Like was there really even that many people with a score of 58 with UCD first on their CAO-I mean probably, but I feel like I must have had the lowest random allocation number there was going if thats the case. Is it done maybe by where you live, cause I do have a home house far away from Dublin, but its far away from every college-Dublin is literally the closest

Nope I seen it-the catch was that you had to walk through a bedroom to get the bedroom I would have been renting. I say would have, I already have the deposit and first months rent paid, but I got in contact with UCD and it was not good :( 15 people ahead of me on the waiting list. They basically told me nooooo its not going to happen. :(:(:( I actually dont think I can move to Limerick with my sister's situation, the more I think about it the more I realise its an impossible situation, its why I turned down a place last year. What makes this year any different. Like was there really even that many people with a score of 58 with UCD first on their CAO-I mean probably, but I feel like I must have had the lowest random allocation number there was going if thats the case. Is it done maybe by where you live, cause I do have a home house far away from Dublin, but its far away from every college-Dublin is literally the closest

Ah fair enough, I guess sometimes you can be lucky and find something cheap. I think the random allocation number is random so it doesn't have anything to do with where you live. I guess you could work for a year, I decided to accept Limerick this year as I've been trying to find a job in Dublin the whole summer since I graduated but the city is dead at the moment. I did get one interview that I am still going to do but as far as I know they are interviewing a good few people. Unfortunately this year with covid makes it harder to plan. If covid hadn't happened I might have done the gamsat again and tried for Dublin as I already have somewhere to live but I also don't think I could sit at home for the year if I can't find a job. Really hard to know what the best decision is but obviously you have your sister to think about so you sort of know you can't go to Limerick as its too far away from her. But for say next year when you might not have to consider that, I have talked to so many people who love the Ul campus and curriculum as well as living there, no one I have talked to had anything negative to say about it. Best of luck!

Has anyone who accepted a place at Ul recieved any sort of correspondence yet? The orientation is mean to be in less than 2 weeks, bit wary of finding accommodation then only needing to be in Limerick for 2 days or something.

ma003 wrote: »
    Has anyone who accepted a place at Ul recieved any sort of correspondence yet? The orientation is mean to be in less than 2 weeks, bit wary of finding accommodation then only needing to be in Limerick for 2 days or something.

An email came yesterday. If you didn't get it you can pm me your email. I can send it on.

An email came yesterday. If you didn't get it you can pm me your email. I can send it on.

Sent you a pm there ! Thanks so much !

• Advertisement

no offers made today :( i emailed the CAO to ask when they think the next batch could be and they said round 1 sep 11th but to email the specific college for more information... just going around in circles at this stage im starting to lose hope. has anyone else heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DivaDanto

Hey guys, anyone receive any correspondence from UCD yet aside from the vetting email? A simple "you have been accepted" email from them would have been lovely!

There might be more a shift in places once rcsi starts... the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ERpunk

DivaDanto wrote: »
    Hey guys, anyone receive any correspondence from UCD yet aside from the vetting email? A simple "you have been accepted" email from them would have been lovely!

There was a vetting email sent out? Didn’t even receive that, I’ll have to email them.

UCC emailed at last....Anyone any experiences of UCC Gem? Old threads seem to be a bit dated on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hazelnut11

Anyone get any offers since last Monday? It makes no sense that they wouldn't be issuing offers after that, as a lot of people took offers from higher preferences...maybe another round at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PhoenixD15

DivaDanto wrote: »

Hopefully you got the "we are delighted that you have accepted a place to study at UCD" email that went out yesterday.

How are most of you funding your studies? I am applying for a loan to cover the fees but my dad wants to put down the house as collateral which I think is crazy. He has offered to pay rent whilst I will try to find a pt job to fund living expenses, which means probably working about 20 plus hours a week on top of lectures and study, like I think just the business of that, nvm the difficulty of the course and workload will be crazy af; it seems crazy that I am going to be broke af for the next 4 years, only to start paying 850 euro a month for the next 10 years on top of that. I have some savings but I was hoping to use that maybe for a deposit for a house, or maybe in the clinical years I maybe too tired/workload too high to hold down a pt job, so I could perhaps cut back on hours or the likes and rely on the savings a little. I tuned into the Derry Medical School seminar today but if I turn down my place this year theres no guarantee Ill get Derry-although it is ideal finance and logistically-but Ill be 30 going on 31 graduating.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hazelnut11

How are most of you funding your studies? I am applying for a loan to cover the fees but my dad wants to put down the house as collateral which I think is crazy. He has offered to pay rent whilst I will try to find a pt job to fund living expenses, which means probably working about 20 plus hours a week on top of lectures and study, like I think just the business of that, nvm the difficulty of the course and workload will be crazy af; it seems crazy that I am going to be broke af for the next 4 years, only to start paying 850 euro a month for the next 10 years on top of that. I have some savings but I was hoping to use that maybe for a deposit for a house, or maybe in the clinical years I maybe too tired/workload too high to hold down a pt job, so I could perhaps cut back on hours or the likes and rely on the savings a little. I tuned into the Derry Medical School seminar today but if I turn down my place this year theres no guarantee Ill get Derry-although it is ideal finance and logistically-but Ill be 30 going on 31 graduating.

Im the same, will be 30 graduating if I go for it this year! I wouldn't let age be a barrier, 30 is very young to be starting a career for life - 35 years working! funding wise, I have some savings and am getting the loan....lots of people manage it so I'm hoping its manageable

• Advertisement

I'll be nearly 32 finishing so its not that uncommon i don't think to have hit 30 and be doing it. I'll have to get the loan for fees and don't have a lot of savings so I'm relying on family and possibly getting some sort of part time job. Also gonna try work the summer of first year as it seems to be the only substantial period of time off in the 4 years. Otherwise I'm actually just winging it as I'm scared if i leave it another year or two it will be harder to get in with the looming recession and healthcare being peoples choice of a new career when that happens. I'm really worried about the repayments on the loan to be honest as I think it will be pretty rough the first couple of years trying to pay them back. I was also considering derry but again no guarantee, the interviews in the uk seem to be where people fall down. Also Scotland is free fees if you can get in but i feel like its a tougher application process as the 2.1 and gamsat are only really the start of the application. So i might just have to go with it this year and hope for the best!

Advertisement