Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 redser1

Anyone feeling apprehensive about starting college in the middle of a pandemic? I just hope its not a really isolating experience! Surely with 9/10 people allowed to go out for meals together whenever they want, conducting small group classes for even clinical skills couldn't be that bad? Some of the restrictions contradict themselves a bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ERpunk

redser1 wrote: »
    Anyone feeling apprehensive about starting college in the middle of a pandemic? I just hope its not a really isolating experience! Surely with 9/10 people allowed to go out for meals together whenever they want, conducting small group classes for even clinical skills couldn't be that bad? Some of the restrictions contradict themselves a bit....

I’ll admit I’m a bit apprehensive, part of the appeal of GEM was the comradery with classmates I have heard about which is challenged now. But I already delayed a year for a Dublin spot which I have now, the stars have aligned, albeit at an odd time. Will just have to wait and see.

ERpunk wrote: »
    I’ll admit I’m a bit apprehensive, part of the appeal of GEM was the comradery with classmates I have heard about which is challenged now. But I already delayed a year for a Dublin spot which I have now, the stars have aligned, albeit at an odd time. Will just have to wait and see.

yeah, its a tricky time. Guess we can't complain about missing anything socially with study for the first semester anyways...just realised from researching ucc is just 1st year and 1 semester of second year as lectures, the rest clinical!!! exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Alexion

Given all the money we are spending, does anyone think colleges should be communicating more about how things will be run? I’m really disappointed with UCC. I understand it’s a pandemic but even some reassurance would be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Alexion wrote: »
    Given all the money we are spending, does anyone think colleges should be communicating more about how things will be run? I’m really disappointed with UCC. I understand it’s a pandemic but even some reassurance would be helpful

Yeh its annoying me a bit that Ul has only given an orientation timetable, no proper timetable yet and we're meant to start on the 7th! It would be handy to know what days are going to be on campus and which ones online at this stage!

• Advertisement

yeah tbh I think given the things that are happening, every effort should be made to make it as face to face as possible....students are flying from all over the world to study in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

ERpunk wrote: »

The "pods" that many students will be placed in this year actually foster closer relationships with classmates. It is easier to get to know 7 other students than it is 85 students, who may sit in a different seat everyday im the lecture theatre.

Also, the instruction is better in a smaller group because you get more feedback and the tone is more conversational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Darragh133

How’s do people feel about starting on Monday in RCSI? Or just starting GEM elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hcoben111

I am not starting GEM this year but I completely agree. You guys are paying <€15000 a year for this course the least they could do is communicate and at least send an email saying "we are working on it" as a courtesy if they are still finalizing things. I get that with COVID things are over the place but consistent communication gives reassurance. so many people seem to have a negative experience with UCC this year

hcoben111 wrote: »
    I am not starting GEM this year but I completely agree. You guys are paying <€15000 a year for this course the least they could do is communicate and at least send an email saying "we are working on it" as a courtesy if they are still finalizing things. I get that with COVID things are over the place but consistent communication gives reassurance. so many people seem to have a negative experience with UCC this year

Yeah from hearing from others, RCSI seem fantastic in how they communicate with people....I don't think UL have been great either with communication. I think UCC GEM admissions need a serious revamp in their employees....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

I got an offer for UCC but im really stuck for accom. Does anyone know is there definitely no campus accommodation going??

hrvo1998 wrote: »
    I got an offer for UCC but im really stuck for accom. Does anyone know is there definitely no campus accommodation going??

Congrats! Did you just get an offer today? there must be more offers in further rounds so....Id say you could get off campus accommodation easy enough or check out the FB page...

redser1 wrote: »
    Congrats! Did you just get an offer today? there must be more offers in further rounds so....Id say you could get off campus accommodation easy enough or check out the FB page...

Oh thank you so much!! i got a call Thursday evening. The lady on the phone was actually super nice and helpful. There could potentially be further offers maybe but she did say that there was exactly 2 spots that opened up and i have a few days to decide but i wont get an official offer from the CAO until sept 11th. Kinda crazy to think i’ll start college and lectures before even getting a CAO offer. She was really adamant about not missing any college and starting at the same time as everyone else because its such a tough course though so i dont know if they would make many offers after term starts!

Oh thank you so much!! i got a call Thursday evening. The lady on the phone was actually super nice and helpful. There could potentially be further offers maybe but she did say that there was exactly 2 spots that opened up and i have a few days to decide but i wont get an official offer from the CAO until sept 11th. Kinda crazy to think i’ll start college and lectures before even getting a CAO offer. She was really adamant about not missing any college and starting at the same time as everyone else because its such a tough course though so i dont know if they would make many offers after term starts!

Congrats! Did you contact admissions much about a prospective offer? It’s hard to know how much you should contact them, I’m hoping for UCD but don’t want to pester them too much about upcoming offers!

Congrats! Did you contact admissions much about a prospective offer? It’s hard to know how much you should contact them, I’m hoping for UCD but don’t want to pester them too much about upcoming offers!

Thank you!! im so incredibly happy! in fairness i did pester admissions a little but the woman who contacted me was head of admissions and i’m almost certain she didnt know anything about my previous contact with admissions. Admissions before basically told me to forget about it like they are definitely not issuing any further offers so i wouldnt believe much of anything they say. UCD doesnt start until 21st september so i wouldnt lose hope!!

Thank you!! im so incredibly happy! in fairness i did pester admissions a little but the woman who contacted me was head of admissions and i’m almost certain she didnt know anything about my previous contact with admissions. Admissions before basically told me to forget about it like they are definitely not issuing any further offers so i wouldnt believe much of anything they say. UCD doesnt start until 21st september so i wouldnt lose hope!!

Thanks! I contacted them last week and the week before, my random number is 632 and they said they’d let me know immediately if a place became available... holding onto hope! They really need to change the system regardless, it’s crazy it’s being a lotto like this especially when all scores are so close together! Well done though!

Thanks! I contacted them last week and the week before, my random number is 632 and they said they’d let me know immediately if a place became available... holding onto hope! They really need to change the system regardless, it’s crazy it’s being a lotto like this especially when all scores are so close together! Well done though!

Yeah my random number was 560 for UCC so you’re definitely in with a good chance!! I really hope you do get it and i have a feeling a few people will try deferring or take the year out and reapply next year with the way things are going!! i’ll keep my fingers crossed for you i really hope you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ULhopeful

My random number is 958 for UL. I was hopeful but as time passes I am losing faith. Has anyone heard of anymore offers being released for UL or of anyone who has received one recently?

ULhopeful wrote: »
    My random number is 958 for UL. I was hopeful but as time passes I am losing faith. Has anyone heard of anymore offers being released for UL or of anyone who has received one recently?

I let UL know im not taking my place on thursday and a user on another thread said they gave up their spot on Friday so you have a big chance. First week is orientation so i dont see why they wouldnt make more offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cal100

May I ask if you are on a score of 56 or 55? Thanks

• Advertisement

Do colleges phone people directly if they get offered a place now? Do people expect many offers next Friday? Round 1

Cal100 wrote: »
    May I ask if you are on a score of 56 or 55? Thanks

I am on a score of 55. Are you waiting for an offer for UL also?

Do colleges phone people directly if they get offered a place now? Do people expect many offers next Friday? Round 1

Yes I think they contact by phone and then you will get the official offer from cao by email on the 11th. That’s my understanding but I may be wrong! I’m hoping for an offer but I do not know how many there will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cal100

I am on a score of 55. Are you waiting for an offer for UL also?

Woah. They must not have made any offers at 55 yet then. I'm really surprised! I thought with a couple of people dropping out and receiving higher offers that UL would have been at 55* by now. I'm on 54 so I'm out of the running for sure by the sounds of it. Best of luck to you!

Cal100 wrote: »
    Woah. They must not have made any offers at 55 yet then. I'm really surprised! I thought with a couple of people dropping out and receiving higher offers that UL would have been at 55* by now. I'm on 54 so I'm out of the running for sure by the sounds of it. Best of luck to you!

Yeah it’s strange but even how online orientated things are, people could just decide it’s not for them a few weeks in! It’s a bit strange how offers go this year

Anyone from UCD, RCSI or UCC know how many in person hours they are having this year? After our first 3 weeks (UL) we only have 2 hours of clinical skills in person and an hour of anatomy. The rest is online! Just wanted to compare to see if this is how all the med schools are operating!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ciara_pass124

ma003 wrote: »
    Anyone from UCD, RCSI or UCC know how many in person hours they are having this year? After our first 3 weeks (UL) we only have 2 hours of clinical skills in person and an hour of anatomy. The rest is online! Just wanted to compare to see if this is how all the med schools are operating!

Mature student here for RCSI, 5 yeah programme. I know our timetable is about 50% (face to face) learning. 13/15 hours spent on Campus. The rest is online.

All anatomy and clinical skills are in person.

Mature student here for RCSI, 5 yeah programme. I know our timetable is about 50% (face to face) learning. 13/15 hours spent on Campus. The rest is online.

All anatomy and clinical skills are in person.

Fab thanks for that! Thats a lot more than us, don't know how worried I should be about that 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ciara_pass124

ma003 wrote: »
    Fab thanks for that! Thats a lot more than us, don't know how worried I should be about that 😬

RCSI have a lot of space to utilise though. They have the old medical building and new building, Beaumont hospital has a student centre, and we have access to Croke park Monday to Saturday for lectures/tutorials/clinical skills and a gym.

• Advertisement

RCSI have a lot of space to utilise though. They have the old medical building and new building, Beaumont hospital has a student centre, and we have access to Croke park Monday to Saturday for lectures/tutorials/clinical skills and a gym.

Yeh thats totally true! I think space is the issue in UL!

Advertisement