Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hazelnut11

coopersock wrote: »
    And not to mention it’s ridiculous that the Grad Med offers come out in Round 0 (beginning of August) for courses that start in a few weeks’ time, when offers for grad med could easily be made in May following March GAMSAT results. UK and Aus applicants accept their offers approx 1 year before starting so they can like, I dunno, make preparations for a major life change such as going back to full time education and relocating etc!

I’m not even sure why it’s done this way and not earlier in the year, as surely all of this faffing round mid to end of August trying to fill places for courses that start in a few days can be avoided by just offering places earlier?

its crazy. the whole entry process into gradmed needs to be revamped. the numbers are too close together, its a total lotto getting in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Peek1 wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that a 55, with the random number of 505 for UL is pretty much guaranteed to NOT get an offer?
    Im not trying to be pessimistic about it, but its very distracting trying to focus on the September sitting :(

I have no idea about the random numbers and what is a good one to have but I just started in UL and my roommate said her friend got in on 55 in the last few days so all the 56s have gotten offers now obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aoifanac

Peek1 wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that a 55, with the random number of 505 for UL is pretty much guaranteed to NOT get an offer?
    Im not trying to be pessimistic about it, but its very distracting trying to focus on the September sitting :(

I emailed UL to ask could they tell me how many are ahead of me on the waitlist - I knew they couldn't but was hoping for some info. Got the reply this morning and they said there will be no further offers. I called admissions to confirm and she said the info they have is that there won't be anymore offers but to remain hopeful as things can change. I had actually called admissions yday too and then they said there will be more. So even though there may be a glimmer of hope I'm not expecting to hear anything from them. My random allocation number is 664 and I'm on 55 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peek1

aoifanac wrote: »
    I emailed UL to ask could they tell me how many are ahead of me on the waitlist - I knew they couldn't but was hoping for some info. Got the reply this morning and they said there will be no further offers. I called admissions to confirm and she said the info they have is that there won't be anymore offers but to remain hopeful as things can change. I had actually called admissions yday too and then they said there will be more. So even though there may be a glimmer of hope I'm not expecting to hear anything from them. My random allocation number is 664 and I'm on 55 too.

Thans, I got the pretty much the same email from them also.

Suppose it's best to keep head down for the September gamsat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Alexion

Anyone get any word from UCD on further offers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

coopersock wrote: »
    And not to mention it’s ridiculous that the Grad Med offers come out in Round 0 (beginning of August) for courses that start in a few weeks’ time, when offers for grad med could easily be made in May following March GAMSAT results. UK and Aus applicants accept their offers approx 1 year before starting so they can like, I dunno, make preparations for a major life change such as going back to full time education and relocating etc!

I’m not even sure why it’s done this way and not earlier in the year, as surely all of this faffing round mid to end of August trying to fill places for courses that start in a few days can be avoided by just offering places earlier?

UK is definitely not a year before hand. I accepted an offer mid June. Still better than August mind you!

Its looking like random selection is going to be the cause of me moving across the country....and the cause of other people not getting a place. This has to be abolished for next year, the scores are too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 redser1

UCD still saying there could even be offers the first week they start which is the 21st of September....its mad how spread out the start dates of the programmes are, it will have to result in some wasted spaces, for example someone could do nearly 3 weeks in UCC and then get UCD and its too late for the UCC place to be offered...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Luna73

Hi - anyone looking for a room for UCC GEM - please DM me. Owner/occupier DEM student. House 15 mins drive to UCC - bus stop nearby and I have good broad band as well as 2 cats - one of them loves cuddles.

Any hope for round 1 offers tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ULgem

Hey! I got accepted to UL on friday but have heard nothing from the school and I am stressed out as I know the programme is already full on.

Anyone there atm who can tell me about whats happening? Eg. about the course, Covid-19 situation and measures?

Thank you!

ULgem wrote: »
    Hey! I got accepted to UL on friday but have heard nothing from the school and I am stressed out as I know the programme is already full on.

Anyone there atm who can tell me about whats happening? Eg. about the course, Covid-19 situation and measures?

Thank you!

I would just contact admissions there immediately....they should have sent you instructions... did they phone you with an offer?

No Dublin colleges put out round 1 offers... looks like Dublin is going into lockdown so maybe a few may pull out of UCD? 😅

ULgem wrote: »

Thank you!

If you want to know anything specific send me a message ! I just started 1st year in UL !

Alexion wrote: »
    No Dublin colleges put out round 1 offers... looks like Dublin is going into lockdown so maybe a few may pull out of UCD? ��

Maybe though if it was me I'd be more likely to stick with it if there was a lockdown to have something to do...could be just me though

ma003 wrote: »
    Maybe though if it was me I'd be more likely to stick with it if there was a lockdown to have something to do...could be just me though

maybe... it will most likely all be online though..

hazelnut11 wrote: »
    maybe... it will most likely all be online though..

Yeh exactly, have some thing to do rather than sitting at home doing nothing! Sure mine is mostly online now anyway! I think less people will leave the courses in case the points rise next year with the looming recession and lack of job prospects! I'd say the only reason people will leave will be if they can't afford it. That's just what people I've talked to have said anyway...that they are prepared to put up with online learning and no social life because they don't have any other options so better to get a year out of the way. Maybe a few will hate online learning I guess.

Yeah I guess nobody knows what next year is going to be like either...... paying thousands to do it all at home is tough going too though!

Yeh totally agree but theres no guarantee next year is going to be any different unfortunately. I've been telling myself that things are going to get better all year and have yet to be proven right! But yeh the money is sickening either way !

Yeh totally agree but theres no guarantee next year is going to be any different unfortunately. I've been telling myself that things are going to get better all year and have yet to be proven right! But yeh the money is sickening either way !

It’s just such an intense course it’s very difficult to do it in an isolated way! I for one will be prioritizing my mental health either way - moving to a new city to learn in an isolated way is not good for mental health... for me anyways!

• Advertisement

It’s just such an intense course it’s very difficult to do it in an isolated way! I for one will be prioritizing my mental health either way - moving to a new city to learn in an isolated way is not good for mental health... for me anyways!

Yeh I agree! I did think that though and then I moved and am really enjoying living with new people from my course so it did work out! The fear was worse than the reality !

Yeh I agree! I did think that though and then I moved and am really enjoying living with new people from my course so it did work out! The fear was worse than the reality !

Yeah people can be lucky I guess! UCD have said theres still a possibility of an offer so still hopeful!

Yeah people can be lucky I guess! UCD have said theres still a possibility of an offer so still hopeful!

Oh thats great! Hope you get it! Will you only accept a Dublin offer or do you have one somewhere else?

Oh thats great! Hope you get it! Will you only accept a Dublin offer or do you have one somewhere else?

No only Dublin- mainly due to health reasons and being near my family! If it doesn’t work out I’ll wait another year! I’m not going to rush into it for the sake of it this year- hoping UCD let me know by the end of the week

No only Dublin- mainly due to health reasons and being near my family! If it doesn’t work out I’ll wait another year! I’m not going to rush into it for the sake of it this year- hoping UCD let me know by the end of the week

Thats totally fair! Fingers crossed for UCD so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DetectiveBread

Hey there, just wondering if any incoming UCD GEM students have heard from BOI in regards to the GEM Loan? I sent in the application about 3 weeks ago now and getting slightly worried..

does anyone anticipate a higher drop out rate with GEM this year? with the fact its predominantly online?

hazelnut11 wrote: »
    does anyone anticipate a higher drop out rate with GEM this year? with the fact its predominantly online?

I guess it could happen if people really hated it! Most people I've talked to are still enjoying it as a lot of the sessions are live and interactive!

I guess it could happen if people really hated it! Most people I've talked to are still enjoying it as a lot of the sessions are live and interactive!

I guess, its not the best though,,,but it is what it is

• Advertisement

are there still offers going in UL/ new people starting?

Advertisement