Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On a scale of 1 to 10. How would you rate morale in this country?

Options
  • 10-03-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭

I'd put it at about a 3. Between the worries over Covid 19 and the deep division over political loyalty. Ireland feels like a sh*tty place to live in right now. Maybe not as sh*t as other countries but that's not saying much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I think it's pretty good. Probably a 7 or an 8. Salaries are increasing, standard of living improving and unemployment really low. Yes this virus is not good but once this passes its onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Probably 3 by next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

flazio wrote: »
    I'd put it at about a 3. Between the worries over Covid 19 and the deep division over political loyalty. Ireland feels like a sh*tty place to live in right now. Maybe not as sh*t as other countries but that's not saying much.

Dont get too upset over politics op.
    There is definite fear and concern over the virus, but surely every country is feeling that.
    Stay off social media if political **** talk upsets you, the reality on that is that the power play going on politically is a sign of the dissatisfaction with some or all of our services. It might waken some of the people we vote for up to trying to do a better job and improve the situation that has some people feeling aggrieved.
    But it's a case of the best of the worst we could end up with is probably what's going to come out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Needs to be two metrics. RL about 7. Prolly was 8 or 9 a few weeks ago. Online -10000, was 1 a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Tbh given our financial and tech industries.

You could be living in a lot worse places!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Online minus one thousand? Bwahahahaha. Go on, stock up on loo roll and canned food. You might run out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Personally at this point in time. 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Not great people are coronaed out, but hopefully this will pass. On plus side spring is here, daffodils out, day time temperatures hitting double digits and the sun out between the showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In truth it depends on the day you ask. About a 6 I'd say, but coronavirus will put that on the floor when people start dying and greater impositions are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the one thing i hope comes out of this virus panic is the question of social responsibility. The term "civic duty" is almost unknown in irish public discourse. we are such a me fein culture since the celtic tiger, its sad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

About a 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Was in Aldi today and there was panic buying at 11am on a Tuesday morning.

Anyone who says the mood of the country is higher than a 3 is either delusional or a member of Fine Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

the one thing i hope comes out of this virus panic is the question of social responsibility. The term "civic duty" is almost unknown in irish public discourse. we are such a me fein culture since the celtic tiger, its sad.

Like the oft quoted JFK line:

"ask not what your country can do for you,
    Ask - 'What can you do for your country' ".

I think the simplest acts can make it a better place - casually wishing good morning to a passing stranger, or perhaps picking up that piece of litter that YOU didn't throw there, checking if neighbours need anything. The usual caveats apply to the second one there, but you get the drift.

edit to add my response to the topic:

7 or 8, even with the covid, as it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

touts wrote: »

Anyone who says the mood of the country is higher than a 3 is either delusional or a member of Fine Gael

What is with Aldi and Lidl that attracts all the panic buyers? I haven't seen it any local SuperValu, Dunnes or Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Think we are in for a mixed year so i'll give it a 5. On the negative side the virus is going to be an absolute disaster for us but i think on the flip side the UK will use it as an excuse to cancel Brexit which will be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

It’s bad yes but no wonder why, the media and corona twenty four seven, very bad for mental health...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Was in Tesco this morning, and all the shelves were full, apart from the hand sanitizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm going to say 5. 2.5 million people who are always miserable are on a 2. A lot of them seem to turn up on Boards. The other 2.5 million who are normal are on 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tesco Ardkeen Waterford today, bog roll section!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

10 for me OP, Spring is here and Liverpool are just 2 wins short of winning the league. Couldnt be happier.

For all other football supporters the beatings will continue until morale improves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Tesco Ardkeen Waterford today, bog roll section!

Dont know how true this is, but a girl in a shop told me that the loo roll crisis is due to the forest fires in Australia which has led to a scarcity of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What "deep divisions over political loyalty" are you talking about? I don't come across anything of the sort in Irish life, outside of internet folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Muahahaha wrote: »
    10 for me OP, Spring is here and Liverpool are just 2 wins short of winning the league. Couldnt be happier.

League will be cancelled and written off.

Could be 30 more years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

2 before the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What "deep divisions over political loyalty" are you talking about? I don't come across anything of the sort in Irish life, outside of internet folk.

The results of the last election. Definitely no consensus there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

7, if you arrived from outer space however and made an assessment based on listening to RTE, 2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Boggles wrote: »
    League will be cancelled and written off.

Could be 30 more years. :)

lol we'll be taking that trophy even if it means walking over dead virus riddled bodies to get it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

This is a ridiculous OP.

Ireland is amongst the very best of places in the whole world to live.

It is a great little country, and I'll tell you, the criac. You'd get the like of it nowhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

What is with Aldi and Lidl that attracts all the panic buyers? I haven't seen it any local SuperValu, Dunnes or Tesco.

Unemployed all shop there

Advertisement