Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary recommendation thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Nal wrote: »
    Watched the first 3. Some good stuff in there but another 6 hour doc that should've been 90 minutes.

The 6 hours really is showing the cat and mouse game being played between the documentarian and Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gmisk wrote: »
    Sky have the Tina Turner doc Tina available it's a really good watch. She was some performer, the live performances are electric!
    This was very good, if a bit depressing. I have a few dvds of her live in the 60s youtube is full of them if you want to see more old stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Monkey arris

Amazing lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Reeling In The Years - 2010-2019 starts on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Filmworker

Documentary film about Leon Vitali who gave up acting to learn everything about the film making process under Stanley Kubrick.

The poor man is all I can say after watching it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I recommend watching some of the Vice documentaries on Youtube, the content is very topical and with journalists ranging from the gonzo journalism popularised by Hunter S. Thompson, war-torn situations, pandemics. many wide ranging subjects. The cocky American journalist who visits North Korea and finds a karaoke bar where the machine is European made so it has westernised pop music. The journalist gets the shy karaoke host to sing the Sex Pistols God Save the Queen along with him, a moment worth watching. The Gonzo stuff, drug taker/scientist/journalist Hamilton Morris goes on ultimate drug trips around the world and describes his experiences while off his head. There is also a bunch of potential Louis Theroux types who work for the documentary covering a wide range of subjects. Worth a gawk once in a while. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

For true crime/serial killer fans, maybe this has been mentioned before (apologies, if it has)

The Real 'Des': The Dennis Nilsen Story

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-real-des-the-dennis-nilsen-story/10a0156a0001

Also the 3 part TV miniseries "Des" based on the Dennis Neilsen story is pretty decent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_(TV_series)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

sherpa on netflix,pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this is a fascinating watch...
    An account of the two women convicted of assassinating Kim Jong-un's half-brother, Kim Jong-nam. Were they trained killers or simply pawns?

Assassins sky/now tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I recommend watching some of the Vice documentaries on Youtube, the content is very topical and with journalists ranging from the gonzo journalism popularised by Hunter S. Thompson, war-torn situations, pandemics. many wide ranging subjects. The cocky American journalist who visits North Korea and finds a karaoke bar where the machine is European made so it has westernised pop music. The journalist gets the shy karaoke host to sing the Sex Pistols God Save the Queen along with him, a moment worth watching. The Gonzo stuff, drug taker/scientist/journalist Hamilton Morris goes on ultimate drug trips around the world and describes his experiences while off his head. There is also a bunch of potential Louis Theroux types who work for the documentary covering a wide range of subjects. Worth a gawk once in a while. :)

Its ok. Starts off great, but then becomes a snooze fest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'll second the Tina Turner documentary a hard watch at times with a happy ending finding love.

For an 80 year old woman she looked damn well sitting there being interviewed in that black suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

If anyone has access to Sky Crime, I’d highly recommend the 5 part documentary “A Wilderness Of Error”, based on the Jeffrey McDonald case in which he is serving three life sentences, Renowned documentary film maker Errol Morris appears in the series and makes some interesting observations on the case and subsequent trial that took place and the fallout of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

'Promises and Lies: The Story of UB40' BBC. (Could be available on the iPlayer).

Great watch. Not primarily about their music...

Watched Allen v Farrow on Sky docs. recently. Four-parter. Worth watching.

Watched Sherpa on Netflix last night and it was excellent. Some great shots of Everest, learned a lot about the Sherpa people, and encountered one of the most arrogant displays of US arrogance ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Watched Sherpa on Netflix last night and it was excellent. Some great shots of Everest, learned a lot about the Sherpa people, and encountered one of the most arrogant displays of US arrogance ever seen.

I'll second that. The tragedy happened during film making, but they then got a fascinating insight into the mindset of some of the climbers. The self entitled attitude was incredible.

When you have people talking openly about how devastated they are to miss the climb seemingly oblivious to the tragedy that just happened.
    I can understand disappointed, but to talk about been devastated in those circumstances was crass in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tina Turner doc was excellent. Such a harsh life. What a fecking comeback. Glad she found the love of her life at 50. Inspirational woman, not like the current dose today.

Just passing, so thought I'd throw a few out there that others may have not seen:

The Mole - North Korean arms deals
    Maradona - self explanatory
    Three identical strangers - triplets separated at birth get reunited
    King of Kong: a fistful of quarters - Epic Pacman related doc, the best in this list probably
    Word Wars - Tracking the competitive scrabble circuit as it tours america

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

RichT wrote: »
    The Keepers

Had to resist the urge to throw something at the TV screen when I watched The Keepers. Very very frustrating watch!

Jesus this is a tough watch. Not sure if I can see this one through. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

gmisk wrote: »
    The dissident is on amazon prime.
    It is a terrific documentary about Jamal Khashoggi.
    I watched this, amazing and well worth a watch. You couldn’t make it up, poor man must have had a horrific, agonising death, how did they think they’d get away with it.

Jesus this is a tough watch. Not sure if I can see this one through. :(

you must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

you must.

Does it get any easier? I only made it to the end of ep 2. The urge to get away from the stomach churning ugliness of it overtook any curiosity to see if justice was done.

Does it get any easier? I only made it to the end of ep 2. The urge to get away from the stomach churning ugliness of it overtook any curiosity to see if justice was done.

It does not ,it gets more appalling,things went on for a long time,a familiar story unfortunately.

Just passing, so thought I'd throw a few out there that others may have not seen:

The Mole - North Korean arms deals
    Maradona - self explanatory
    Three identical strangers - triplets separated at birth get reunited
    King of Kong: a fistful of quarters - Epic Pacman related doc, the best in this list probably
    Word Wars - Tracking the competitive scrabble circuit as it tours america

Three identical strangers was very enjoyable.

The Real Manhunter on Sky Crime is very interesting imo, episode 4 this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭robwen

One to keep an eye out for new documentary about the unsolved murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier in west Cork, five-part series, directed by Jim Sheridan, is coming to Sky Crime soon

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40270100.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

robwen wrote: »
    One to keep an eye out for new documentary about the unsolved murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier in west Cork, five-part series, directed by Jim Sheridan, is coming to Sky Crime soon

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40270100.html

Someone mentioned here on Boards how this case and the fascination surrounding it is just a modern for of gossip and curtain twitching. True Crime is such a strange mass appeal cultural phenomenon of our times.

I can see it being something that future generations will find odd and bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Someone mentioned here on Boards how this case and the fascination surrounding it is just a modern for of gossip and curtain twitching. True Crime is such a strange mass appeal cultural phenomenon of our times.

Our time is a bit of a stretch it at least goes back to Jack the Ripper

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

True, I was originally involved in setting up the true crime forum here on boards.

I think it's natural to want to know what drives people to murder someone else and the investigation that follows. It's like a game of cat and mouse, the psychology involved, what happened and when, the evidence, tv Court case, it can be very interesting especially with serial killers.

Interest has gone onto a different level in the last 10 years, the quality of the documentaries has really stepped up, podcasts are a new dimension and are hugely popular. I've stopped consuming alot of it though as it can be normalised and nothing shocks anymore, but every now and then a good true crime documentary or podcast is hard to beat.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Watched The Inventor;out for blood in Silicon valley on Sky documntaries last night for the second time and i just cant keep my eyes of Elizabeth Holmes,she is the nearest thing to a charismatic robot i have ever seen and mindblowing how she fooled people like Schultz,Matis,Kissenger,the Walton family,Rupert Murdoch to name a few.

Wild Country is superb and has got me into listening to singer Bill Callahan who sang the beautiful theme song for it,The Drover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Last Narc on Amazon is well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC9zhwPRxzQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

joe40 wrote: »
    I'll second that. The tragedy happened during film making, but they then got a fascinating insight into the mindset of some of the climbers. The self entitled attitude was incredible.

When you have people talking openly about how devastated they are to miss the climb seemingly oblivious to the tragedy that just happened.
    I can understand disappointed, but to talk about been devastated in those circumstances was crass in the extreme.

I watched Sherpa tonight and was absolutely gobsmacked when one of the Western climbers said “There’s no way you can talk to their owners?”. Owners? Like the Sherpa are donkeys. Or slaves. Not fellow human beings. And he seemed totally oblivious to the dehumanising thing he had just said. :mad:

Advertisement