Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview & Freesat Combo Box

• 11-03-2020 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

A very elderly relative of mine has a Humax Freesat box, which has been faultless for about 14 years, but has now packed up.

Her tv (working perfectly) is one of the older variety, so she has a Saorview box as well.

She does not want the hassle of 3 remotes (tv, Saorview & Freesat) and having to change inputs on the tv, to switch from Saorview to Freesat and vice versa.

She specifically does not want the usual Free to Air combo box - she will finish up with a mess of satellite channels, in random order and requiring periodic re-tuning to recover "lost" channels.

Is there a box out there which combines Saorview & Freesat?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Poulgorm wrote: »
    A very elderly relative of mine has a Humax Freesat box, which has been faultless for about 14 years, but has now packed up.

Her tv (working perfectly) is one of the older variety, so she has a Saorview box as well.

She does not want the hassle of 3 remotes (tv, Saorview & Freesat) and having to change inputs on the tv, to switch from Saorview to Freesat and vice versa.

She specifically does not want the usual Free to Air combo box - she will finish up with a mess of satellite channels, in random order and requiring periodic re-tuning to recover "lost" channels.

Thanks.

There is no such box on the market.

Get a good FTA combi or put up with the remote situation.

Else get a new TV and use that for Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

Thanks.[/quote

Saorview and FTA not FREESAT, there are a number of tv's with sat tuner built in, Walker, Nordmende, one remote, all on the one list. The main sat channels, BBC, ITV, etc don't change frequency too often, so retunes for these channels would be minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭BowWow

OP, does she record programs, pause live tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

BowWow wrote: »
    OP, does she record programs, pause live tv?

No, she has no interest in doing that type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭BowWow

No, she has no interest in doing that type of thing.

If that's the case I'd look at buying a TV that has Freesat and Freesview on it. I have a Samsung Tv, I set it as UK, not Irish, and it has Freesat on it and it has Saorview in the 800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

BowWow wrote: »
    If that's the case I'd look at buying a TV that has Freesat and Freesview on it. I have a Samsung Tv, I set it as UK, not Irish, and it has Freesat on it and it has Saorview in the 800.

Thank you, BowWow. That sounds like her best option.

Advertisement