Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicked out of a thread by a moderator abusing their power

Options
  • 11-03-2020 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to complain. Ive been on boards for many years now and have had some great discussions. Today the moderator "Spurious" didn't like a question I asked regarding teachers being paid throughout the summer in the schools closing because of the virus thread. I wasn't abusive or disrespectful. I pointed out that teachers are paid throughout the summer and if the virus closes the schools why not make the teachers work the extra time in the summer as they are paid anyway. I also mentioned that we pay teachers to correct state exams even though they are paid anyway. I was told I hadn't a clue what I was talking about so I asked the person to please elaborate for me. Totally respectful. The mod banned me and didn't give a any reason. N/A was the reason in the private message warning. If boards mods ban anyone that disagrees with them or challenge their way of thinking whats the point of it. I'd like to know why I was kicked out. Id also like to know how to officially make a complaint against the mod he/she was out of order and abusing their power completely. Thank you

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Are you appealing the warning you got or here to complain about the thread ban alone?

The Dispute Resolution forum is the best place for appealing a card so I will move it there if it is the warning you want to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Are you appealing the warning you got or here to complain about the thread ban alone?

The Dispute Resolution forum is the best place for appealing a card so I will move it there if it is the warning you want to appeal.

Hya tried to appeal it. Sorry didn't mean to start a thread on it. Thanks

No worries, moved to Dispute Resolution now. The first step in appealing is to discuss the warning with the Mod so please PM spurious to talk about this if you haven't already.

If there is no resolution after that, we will ask a category mod to take a look.

You can delete this thread, sorry. Ill make a formal complaint. I sent a private message to the mod but was ignored. The reason for my ban was given as N/A. Ill begin the thread on the dispute forum. Thanks. Just checked and the dispute forum is closed.

The warning was only given this morning so the mod may just not have had time to reply to your message about it yet. Mods are all volunteers so give a bit more time for a reply. This thread has been moved to the Dispute forum so you don't need to start a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I replied to the PM and said I had no issue with the poster taking it further.

My actions on thread were questioned on thread. It seems fairly straightforward to me. No issue whatsoever with an Admin looking at it.

Banned again after you guys unbanned me. This person is abusing their power. Please go and look at my posts and explain to me why I was banned. Spurious bans anyone who disagrees with him/her. What is the point in boards if we all agreed with each other?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As the mod in question is also a CMod for Education I've taken a look at this

This was a thread about school closures. The post that resulted in this ban stated:
    You think it is unreasonable for a person to be available for the hours they are being paid for? What do you want exactly? Money for nothing?

The Opening Post stated
    It is NOT for
    moaning about teacher's wages
    moaning about teacher's holidays
    moaning about teachers in general
    moaning about having to use our own IT equipment - I know, along with many other things, teachers should not have to fund these, but we do and it's not going to change before tomorrow, so however valid, that is an argument for another day.

Please keep posts helpful.

You had previously posted in a thread on a similar topic that had been closed because of the disruptive posting by a number of posters. You had been banned from posting in that thread and then picked up a yellow and subsequently a 3 day ban for ignoring that threadban and discussion moderation in the thread you were banned from posting in.

You completely ignored the mod instructions in the new thread and decided to have a dig at the teaching profession. You were banned for a week for what was more disrupting posting in a thread that was set up to
    ONLY to be used for queries regarding closures, or to share information on methods of 'remote working' etc

That ban was entirely reasonable and I am upholding it

Advertisement