Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family member rule / termination of tenancy

Options
  • 11-03-2020 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Seeking advice

I’ve fallen fowl of the areas influx of workers and rent hikes

I’ve been renting over14 years
    Same house same landlord
    Absolutely no issues
    In fact have only spoken to the landlord maybe 4 or five times in that period

Most of them in the last two years
    Once to inform him I had replaced the electric shower and would he contribute

And recently the oil boiler had packed in
    It was fixed and he raised the rent €100

Which was fair enough I was paying the same rent the last 10 years plus
    These things happen

While talking to him he asked my plans
    I said I had no immediate plans to move
    And he said that’s perfect your a great Tennant no problems you look after the house well and I’m happy for you to stay as long as you want
    I said well I’ve no real plans for the next 5 years at least

I’ve spent a lot on the upkeep of the house for my own comfort
    Fenced off the garden
    Put a patio in “ garden was alway waterlogged” painted the whole house inside and fitted wooden floors
    For my own comfort “ yes I know rented house “

Last week
    There was a legal letter pushed through the door
    Notice of end of tenancy because of a family member moving in a son

Which I’m sure I just a loophole he has two other houses in the same street and several other houses .

He’s give me the legal minimum time to move which thankfully
    Is over 200 days because of my
    Long time there .

Have I any options to at get back some compensation for all the work and money into upgrading the property ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Produce the contract where he asked you to do any work and agreed a price with you to do the work, and then ask him to adhere to the contract you both agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Firefork

Produce the contract where he asked you to do any work and agreed a price with you to do the work, and then ask him to adhere to the contract you both agreed.

Unfortunately it was just a verbal thing
    It was a very relaxed agreement

Come to think
    I had a conversation with the local tenants association about the upkeep of the grounds
    They wanted me to contact the landlord about the fees which he was liable for
    And they told me I had not been registered as a Tennant in that house and he owned other properties which he had owed them fees on in the area

Not long after that
    About a year ago
    I
    Got documents to say he had registered my as an official Tennant

Think that’s we’re the issues started

The local rents have sky rocketed because of the local Ida business area taking on new companies

He could easily get a higher rent now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If your rent hasn't gone up for 10 years you were more than compensated for any work you did.

It was not a good idea buy and pay for improvements to the house. Given the rent wasn't raised for a 10 year period you basically agreed to not hassle the landlord and pay for it yourself. I have had tenants do work because the thought I would put up the rent if I had to pay. I gather that was your thoughts too.

Now he is ending the tenancy you feel hard done by and want to claim back for the work you did. I can't see where he could have verbally agreed to this and never gave you money over the years.

He can remove you for a number of reason legally and given he didn't raise the rent it is doubtful he is kicking you out to raise the rent. Just believe him and move on as you had a good deal and he isn't obliged to keep renting to you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Take the patio, fence and floors with you. Return then to original state.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    If your rent hasn't gone up for 10 years you were more than compensated for any work you did.

It was not a good idea buy and pay for improvements to the house. Given the rent wasn't raised for a 10 year period you basically agreed to not hassle the landlord and pay for it yourself. I have had tenants do work because the thought I would put up the rent if I had to pay. I gather that was your thoughts too.

Now he is ending the tenancy you feel hard done by and want to claim back for the work you did. I can't see where he could have verbally agreed to this and never gave you money over the years.

He can remove you for a number of reason legally and given he didn't raise the rent it is doubtful he is kicking you out to raise the rent. Just believe him and move on as you had a good deal and he isn't obliged to keep renting to you forever.

Well it’s a fairly rural area
    In the beginning the rent was about average for the area “ new private development “ which after after a few years the standard of the area declined rapidly
    With the crash newer better developments in the area and planning permission issues
    A lot of owner occupiers and families moving on
    And the council taking over properties etc

So my rent had been the average or even above for many years

Now the area has become a rent hotspot
    Due to a Ida business park
    Attracting multinationals

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »

Yes apart from the flooring I will be returning the house back to the original state

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Crikey, a bit extreme. I dont think he will be getting a glowing reference from his landlord of 10 years if he does this. OP it sucks, but I think maybe you gonna say you got a good run for a decade and head on amicably. Get a good reference from him. In your next place dont invest heavily time-wise or financially in a property you are renting even if it is for your own comfort. I wouldnt anyway.
    before the Nuclear Option of removing all that would a better way to do it be ask him politely if he could do anything for you for the extra work you have done.
    Patio Materials supplied and Install
    Laminate Flooring Supplied and Install
    He would be very mean spirited to not give you a golden handshake! Is he fully aware of works done and happy with the end result? If its a decent job if i was the owner I would certainly look after the tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Firefork wrote: »
    Well it’s a fairly rural area
    In the beginning the rent was about average for the area “ new private development “ which after after a few years the standard of the area declined rapidly
    With the crash newer better developments in the area and planning permission issues
    A lot of owner occupiers and families moving on
    And the council taking over properties etc

So my rent had been the average or even above for many years

Now the area has become a rent hotspot
    Due to a Ida business park
    Attracting multinationals

You got a good deal if your rent didn't increase for 10 years no matter what. Landlords expenses went up over that time.

If you are going to remove fixtures and fittings like fences, patio etc.. it better not be damaging in anyway.

You really seem to want to get back at the landlord, am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Yes apart from the flooring I will be returning the house back to the original state

You would need to be careful if he left the kickboards damadged or not in original state from pulling up those floors.
    Have you the original carpets or floor coverings? Will you just leave a bare concrete floor:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I appreciate that its a sore point, but your best course of action here is to try and put it behind you and move on.

The LL has no obligation to pay for, or compensate you for the work you've done as you've no formal agreement in place. It's a pisser getting evicted (I know, it happened to me for "renovations") but it appears the LL has provided a legitimate reason. If he doenst move in a son, you've grounds for a complaint, but thats months down the line, and you might find in the balance of things, your happiness and well-being is better served moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

14 years a great tenant, and he doesn't even have the courtesy to call in and speak to you in person, just shoves a letter through the door?

What an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Is the 4-year cycle coming to a close?

I think the LL cannot use the 'son/daughter' clause except at the end of the 4-year cycle, Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You got a good deal if your rent didn't increase for 10 years no matter what. Landlords expenses went up over that time.

If you are going to remove fixtures and fittings like fences, patio etc.. it better not be damaging in anyway.

You really seem to want to get back at the landlord, am I wrong?

Not at all

At our last chat a year or so ago
    We agreed on a change of rent
    I gave him a time frame on how long I’d be staying we agreed
    And now this
    I see your end as a land lord
    But I’ve met all my commitments all along

I’ve cost him €80 over 12 years in the upkeep of the property

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Is the 4-year cycle coming to a close?

I think the LL cannot use the 'son/daughter' clause except at the end of the 4-year cycle, Correct me if I'm wrong please.

He can use the son/daughter excuse during the 4 year cycle. He doesn't need to at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I do feel sorry for you OP but you have a business relationship with your landlord and he now wants to end it, which he is entitled to do. It was never going to last forever!
    I wouldn’t bother taking the patio etc with you but I guess that’s up to you.
    If the house is in an RPZ, I would be keeping an eye out for the landlord putting it back on the rental market at a significantly increased rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So has he.

So has he.

I don’t think so
    I
    Was promised a rent book At the last rent hike
    And We agreed I’d stay no longer than 5 years

All verbal of course
    But I’ve been give no rent ever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Not at all

At our last chat a year or so ago
    We agreed on a change of rent
    I gave him a time frame on how long I’d be staying we agreed
    And now this
    I see your end as a land lord

I’ve cost him €80 over 12 years in the upkeep of the property
    Sadly that counts for nowt now.

You've been issued (on the face of it) a valid termination notice. You can rage against the tide, but you on a hiding to nothing.

Sorry. I know it's a kick in the stones.

Zulu wrote: »
    Sadly that counts for nowt now.

You've been issued (on the face of it) a valid termination notice. You can rage against the tide, but you on a hiding to nothing.

Sorry. I know it's a kick in the stones.

Ahh I know
    Just wondered was there any options

If anything I’ll make sure he does make his son move in and stay the proper amount of time before he Re rents it

As I said
    It’s a rural area everyone knows everyone

C3PO wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for you OP but you have a business relationship with your landlord and he now wants to end it, which he is entitled to do. It was never going to last forever!
    I wouldn’t bother taking the patio etc with you but I guess that’s up to you.
    If the house is in an RPZ, I would be keeping an eye out for the landlord putting it back on the rental market at a significantly increased rent!

That’s exactly what I’m doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Probably worth checking if his other tenants got the same letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Well, that might backfire, does the tenant have the original floor coverings or records to their condition.
    Thats just being dickish.

Might not go all your way, how old is the stuff you had put in? have you had good use out of it? essentially it's value to you is limited and all the inconvenience of taking it out and then maybe replacing what you removed to fit it!
    Did you have written permission to fit those items, because you might be called upon to replace them with similar, which would be cheaper to leave what you put in, you had them for their purpose and it could go against you and just be an inconvenience too.

AulWan wrote: »
    14 years a great tenant, and he doesn't even have the courtesy to call in and speak to you in person, just shoves a letter through the door

What an asshole.

You mean the landlord did it officially and correctly as they should? because they would be faulted for not doing that officially and correctly.
    Landlord tenant relationship should be kept business like, anything else is hassle, for tenants and landlords. Ive read threads of overbearing landlords and this guy was hands off and allowed the tenant to live in peace and do as they pleased, at the worst they had averaged out over the years but by the sounds of it, if rent had not changed for a long time, then they have saved a fortune in rent, you simply cannot win as a landlord with tenants views as you are damned if you do or dont.

Probably worth checking if his other tenants got the same letter.

I’m assuming so
    One other one up the street is vacant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’m assuming so

How many sons does he have?

Crikey, a bit extreme. I dont think he will be getting a glowing reference from his landlord of 10 years if he does this. OP it sucks, but I think maybe you gonna say you got a good run for a decade and head on amicably. Get a good reference from him. In your next place dont invest heavily time-wise or financially in a property you are renting even if it is for your own comfort. I wouldnt anyway.
    before the Nuclear Option of removing all that would a better way to do it be ask him politely if he could do anything for you for the extra work you have done.
    Patio Materials supplied and Install
    Laminate Flooring Supplied and Install
    He would be very mean spirited to not give you a golden handshake! Is he fully aware of works done and happy with the end result? If its a decent job if i was the owner I would certainly look after the tenant

Indeed
    That’s what I would expect at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I’m assuming so

If the vacant house is a similar size &/or the other tenants have received similar notices you might be in a good position to dispute.

Another poster was in a similar position recently and successfully disputed it.

Read here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111880179

C3PO wrote: »
    How many sons does he have?

One

I knew the family fairly well
    Even did a few jobs for them in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have you spoken to him about it?

If the vacant house is a similar size &/or the other tenants have received similar notices you might be in a good position to dispute.

Another poster was in a similar position recently and successfully disputed it.

Read here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111880179

Exactly the same house
    I believe the Tennant passed away

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Have you spoken to him about it?

Not
    Yet

I’m getting my homework done first

Advertisement