Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family member rule / termination of tenancy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

You should be thankful you lived there for 10+ years with only 1 rent increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Firefork wrote: »
    Not at all

At our last chat a year or so ago
    We agreed on a change of rent
    I gave him a time frame on how long I’d be staying we agreed
    And now this
    I see your end as a land lord
    But I’ve met all my commitments all along

I’ve cost him €80 over 12 years in the upkeep of the property

Then why would you rip out any fixtures of fittings unless you are trying to get some revenge. They are worth very little to you and it is a lot if effort to remove them.

Had tenant who put up 2 €5 shelves. Because he was leaving he decided to take them with him. He pulled them off the wall destroying the plaster on the wall. A wall that had been plastered before he moved in when I did the place up. He then start questioning why he wasn't getting his deposit back. His deposit didn't cover the damage to the place that was like bew when he moved in. Petty person who intentionally damaged the place. I would see anybody pulling out stuff like you have said the same way.

You rented a property for 10 years with no increase you got every good deal. You could always have got him to pay but you didn't. Did you not ask because you felt the rent would go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

good luck in your next rental you might catch a recession dip soon, such as life market decides

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Firefork

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Then why would you rip out any fixtures of fittings unless you are trying to get some revenge. They are worth very little to you and it is a lot if effort to remove them.

Had tenant who put up 2 €5 shelves. Because he was leaving he decided to take them with him. He pulled them off the wall destroying the plaster on the wall. A wall that had been plastered before he moved in when I did the place up. He then start questioning why he wasn't getting his deposit back. His deposit didn't cover the damage to the place that was like bew when he moved in. Petty person who intentionally damaged the place. I would see anybody pulling out stuff like you have said the same way.

You rented a property for 10 years with no increase you got every good deal. You could always have got him to pay but you didn't. Did you not ask because you felt the rent would go up?

I’m not ripping out anything
    Yes I gather you’re a landlord

I’ll be taking things I’ve added I can use in my other home

I won’t be undoing the waterlogged garden I had piped and drained
    And the decorating I have upgraded the house with for my own comfort

All I’m saying is I’ve greatly upgraded the property drainage and fencing off the garden

I’d have hoped the landlord would have at least spoken to me
    Before shoving a legal letter through the door after he had assured me our arrangement would not change for the next 2 to 5 years

It’s in the country not Dublin
    It has not until recently become a renting hotspot

good luck in your next rental you might catch a recession dip soon, such as life market decides

Exactly

There’s a bit of a boom here for the next year or two and things will calm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes apart from the flooring I will be returning the house back to the original state
    If you replaced any hardware, you will probably have to leave it there. Otherwise he could have you charged over stealing items.
    And We agreed I’d stay no longer than 5 years
    And you're not staying there longer than the 5 years...
    Exactly the same house
    I believe the Tennant passed away
    Is it back on the market? He could be selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

1874 wrote: »
    You mean the landlord did it officially and correctly as they should? because they would be faulted for not doing that officially and correctly.
    Landlord tenant relationship should be kept business like, anything else is hassle, for tenants and landlords. Ive read threads of overbearing landlords and this guy was hands off and allowed the tenant to live in peace and do as they pleased, at the worst they had averaged out over the years but by the sounds of it, if rent had not changed for a long time, then they have saved a fortune in rent, you simply cannot win as a landlord with tenants views as you are damned if you do or dont.

After 14 years of a no hassle tenancy, the landlord could have had the common decency to knock on the door, and hand his tenant the termination notice in person, face to face, with the explanation that he needs the house for his son (if that is even the truth, which its probably not).

Doing it the way he did, just shoving it through the door, was cowardly - especially as not to long ago he seemed ok with the OP saying he wanted to stay for at least another 5 years.

So yep, still an asshole. IMO. For the way he did it.

the_syco wrote: »
    If you replaced any hardware, you will probably have to leave it there. Otherwise he could have you charged over stealing items.

And you're not staying there longer than the 5 years...

Is it back on the market? He could be selling it.

Well that’s the thing

My cousin is selling her house
    It’s been on the market a while
    She’s been advised to rent for 3 years
    There’s guaranteed twice the average rent because a multinational is building a complex in a local Ida business park
    And need properties for the people getting it up
    Guaranteed income for a few years lease

AulWan wrote: »
    After 14 years of a no hassle tenancy, the landlord could have had the common decency to knock on the door, and hand his tenant the termination notice in person, face to face, with the explanation that he needs the house for his son (if that is even the truth, which its probably not).

Doing it the way he did, just shoving it through the door, was cowardly - especially as not to long ago he seemed ok with the OP saying he wanted to stay for at least another 5 years.

My point exactly
    Thank you for understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ahh I know
    Just wondered was there any options

If anything I’ll make sure he does make his son move in and stay the proper amount of time before he Re rents it

As I said
    It’s a rural area everyone knows everyone
    Could you ask that if another of his properties becomes available you can have it or his son takes that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She’s been advised to rent for 3 years
    There’s guaranteed twice the average rent because a multinational is building a complex in a local Ida business park
    Tell them to talk to an accountant, as what they makes in the 3 years they could end up paying a chunk of it as CGT. The EA just wants their cash whilst they rent your cousins property; they don't care if it'll cost your cousin in the long run.

It’s a business transaction, the bank or your insurance company doesn’t send someone around to hand you a letter. Also posting it give the LL proof and also avoids a confrontation which is a valid reason too.

It’s a business transaction, the bank or your insurance company doesn’t send someone around to hand you a letter. Also posting it give the LL proof and also avoids a confrontation which is a valid reason too.

Still an asshole!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Still an asshole!

That'll teach him to leave the rent below market rate for all those years, you get no thanks for it in the end.

14 years of a no hassle tenant who has probably paid the equivalent of the mortgage off for him, as well as improved the house, with decorating, floors, landscaping, fencing and a patio

And a letter shoved through the door without so much as a conversation is the thanks the tenant got..

Maybe he should have ripped up the house and destroyed it, the way landlords claim so many tenants do.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Well, it is his house, which means if his son needs accommodation then he is entitled to give it to him.

You have saved a lot of money over the years because the landlord didn't increase the rent, so at least that is something positive.

As a tenant (I have spent many years renting in different countries), I would never have dreamed of spending my money to improve my landlords house, because it is not mine. Sure, I might make very minor cosmetic changes to make it comfortable but installing a new patio, draining the gardent - not a chance.

You will need a reference from your previous landlord, so I would not rock the boat on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If it’s a “business arrangement” why didn’t the landlord have the tenant registered originally, or have a rent book, or have records of formal agreements, or carry out repairs in a professional manner rather than a nod and a wink that it would get done? You can’t have it both ways.

The issue here is that they pretty much had an informal agreement and the landlord ended it with a d1ckish move with the solicitor’s letter. It’s sh1t, but unfortunately that’s life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

14 years a great tenant, and he doesn't even have the courtesy to call in and speak to you in person, just shoves a letter through the door?

What an asshole.

Why? They're not mates. The landlord provided the OP with a place to live and now he wants his house back. You know, the house that he owns.

As for expecting compensation for unsolicited, non-essential improvements to a house you don't own, lol.

Look, you have your opinion, I have mine. Opinions are not open for debate!

In my opinion, the manner in which the landlord delivered the termination notice to his good, reliable tenant of 14 years, who looked after the property, and in fact, improved it, was asshole-ish.

You are free to have a different opinion, but it will not change mine. :)

Look, you have your opinion, I have mine. Opinions are not open for debate!

On a message board, they actually kind of are.

• Advertisement

People need to be careful what they wish for.

Sure, there's bad landlords but the sheer hassle and orprobrium heaped on small landlords even though they provide people with homes and even when they act by the book is just making them leave the market in droves and investment or buy to let companies won't be interested in humouring long term tenants with cushy rents and will give even less of a rats ass about you.

On a message board, they actually kind of are.

No, they actually kind of aren't. My opinion is already decided. I don't need your input to form an opinion.

But for the sake of it, I never said the landlord was an asshole for terminating the tenancy.

I said he was an asshole for the manner in which he delivered the termination notice to his tenant.

It was an asshole way to do it after 14 years. End of story.

No, they actually kind of aren't. My opinion is already decided. I don't need your input to form an opinion.

But for the sake of it, I never said the landlord was an asshole for terminating the tenancy.

I said he was an asshole for the manner in which he delivered the termination notice to his tenant.

It was an asshole way to do it after 14 years. End of story.

I think a blog or podcast would be a better discursive medium for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

People need to be careful what they wish for.

Sure, there's bad landlords but the sheer hassle and orprobrium heaped on small landlords even though they provide people with homes and even when they act by the book is just making them leave the market in droves and investment or buy to let companies won't be interested in humouring long term tenants with cushy rents and will give even less of a rats ass about you.
    Did he though?

I think a blog or podcast would be a better discursive medium for you.

That's your opinion. :)

That'll teach him to leave the rent below market rate for all those years, you get no thanks for it in the end.

Can you show me any evidence or statistics where I was paying rent below the market value ????

Why? They're not mates. The landlord provided the OP with a place to live and now he wants his house back. You know, the house that he owns.

As for expecting compensation for unsolicited, non-essential improvements to a house you don't own, lol.

We were mates
    On previous interactions before I rented
    He looked for discounts / mates rates when I did work for him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can you show me any evidence or statistics where I was paying rent below the market value ????
    Would a quote from one of the people involved be considered evidence?
    The local rents have sky rocketed because of the local Ida business area taking on new companies

He could easily get a higher rent now

Would a quote from one of the people involved be considered evidence?

Indeed the last few months

Unfortunately the landlord had already given me a €100 rent increase

And due to to rent increase laws he can’t increase it again for two years

Hence his pulling the family needs clause

• Advertisement

ANYWAY
    thank you for the helpful and not so helpful information

Particularly for the two private pm’s

Most helpful and informative

Apologies to any landlords who may have been triggered or offended .

Advertisement