Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sdanseo wrote: »
    Completely incorrect. If the President can no longer serve, the VP takes over.

As it is more than halfway through the current term, he could also be re-elected twice. It's the only way a US President can serve more than two terms outside of a world war.

Eh I said Pence would take over as President?

I was unsure about if Trump died and Pence took over and how that would affect the election

Can you not read?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Ireland excluded! Only Shengen countries.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I posted that, there's no photo in that link but a lot of people gave me sh!t for it saying I was spreading rumours. But this was my point, he's a buffoon not taking it seriously and now we'll probably be saddled with all the other English speaking cunce in the world bringing viral loads in by the Ryanair plane-full.

An bhfuil aon seans a bhfuil Gaeilge ag einne níos mó?

Oops wrong link will post up correct link.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

The New York Times
    (Link below)

Tom Hanks and his wife have tested Positive for Coronavirus, Covid-19

I am so sorry to hear this and wish them well….(I friggin love Tom Hanks)

New York Times;
    The actor said he and his wife, Rita Wilson, have tested positive while in Australia, where he is set to begin production on a film.
    Tom Hanks said on Wednesday that he and his wife, Rita Wilson, learned they had the coronavirus. The 63-year-old Academy Award-winning actor is in Australia, where he was set to film a movie about the life of Elvis Presley.

“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia, We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers, too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the coronavirus, and were found to be positive...
    We will be observed and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires.”

“Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no? We’ll keep the world posted and updated,” he said.

“The health and safety of our company members is always our top priority, and we are taking precautions to protect everyone who works on our productions around the world,” Warner Bros., the studio behind the film, said in a statement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/media/tom-hanks-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

On a plane destined for Ireland from the US. Awaiting take off but seems we'll be able to fly, a lot of confusion for anyone looking to return to the US though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Listen, people need to get real. If it won’t call you in the next week then it is going to be back-burnered. Welcome to what happens in real crisis.

Right now Italian doctors are officially moving into what is called “mass casualty ethical triage”. This is a fancy way of saying that if you’re old or have underlying chronic illness you won’t get antibiotics or a ventilator and they’ll do their best to keep you comfortable. You’ll be triaged to the “will die” treatment pathway where no resources will be wasted on trying to keep you alive.

This was unofficial for a few days now ( since the death rate jumped ) but it is becoming official reality there.

This is why ( broken record mode ) EVERYONE needs to stop being an idiot and needs to hand wash, socially distance and socially isolate. At work today some non-medical staff ( not doctors and nurses ) were worrying about the sick pay etc. The medical staff were all eye-rolling because we were all thinking they needed to worry about being alive in 6 months, not their pay.

People, stop thinking it is a flu, stop thinking schools might stay open or it’ll be difficult to cope with kids at home etc etc etc. Those are laughable concerns at this stage compared to what you should be worried about.

If you think I’m exaggerating go back and check my post history. Two weeks ago I was pilloried for coming here and trying to sound a note of warning. What I was saying two weeks ago has come to pass. What I’m saying now will come to pass. If you change your behaviour now your changes of surviving this ( and the overall death rate in Ireland ) will be better than if you wait another two weeks until we reach the point I’m telling you we will reach.

All the eye-rolling in the world doesn't change the fact that people still need to pay their rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Definitely a political slant to that decision then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Arghus wrote: »
    It's all fairly mad lads isn't it?

'tis... 'tis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I don't think Ireland is on the list of banned

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Seems Ireland's excluded. Looking at the DHS page, it's the Schengen area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ireland not included:
    WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Apparently the EU ban only applies to Schengen areas so not Ireland. From DHSS in US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It would make sense that Ireland wouldn't be part of Trump's ban with all the US multinationals based here, plus his own Business interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd suggest after wearing the masks to cut them to stop others trying to resale them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Arghus wrote: »
    It's all fairly mad lads isn't it?

I would normally be a fairly laid back person but I am positively ****ing ****ting myself now. Is this real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

On a plane destined for Ireland from the US. Awaiting take off but seems we'll be able to fly, a lot of confusion for anyone looking to return to the US though.

Just confirmed on CNN, US citizens allowed to fly to US from Europe. How they'll get back with a flight ban in operation is another matter..

...Maybe on a cruise ship?

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Link?

Watching CNN. Only Shengen area countries it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

*sigh* there’s stuff health care professionals can do and there’s stuff joe public can do. Sure handwashing won’t “stop” anyone getting it but on a population level it WILL slow the spread and that will save lives.

As to people over 65 being screwed... Only if we get to a point where the HSE is overwhelmed and runs out of ventilators. So, if you don’t want the over 65s to be screwed then DO the hand washing and social isolation etc to give us the best chance of not being overwhelmed.

FFS! Attitudes like yours will kill people going forward.

No, you are scaremongering saying we are fecked in this country and start saying goodbye to your older relatives
    If you think I’m exaggerating go back and check my post history. Two weeks ago I was pilloried for coming here and trying to sound a note of warning. What I was saying two weeks ago has come to pass. What I’m saying now will come to pass. If you change your behaviour now your changes of surviving this ( and the overall death rate in Ireland ) will be better than if you wait another two weeks until we reach the point I’m telling you we will reach.

Washing your hands will not stop it if someone is coughing in your face - you need to get real - it's nothing more than a token guesture to slow it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Clarification from US Dept. of Homeland Security : ban applies to the Schengen Area only (nearly all of Europe) which means Ireland is also exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I posted that, there's no photo in that link but a lot of people gave me sh!t for it saying I was spreading rumours. But this was my point, he's a buffoon not taking it seriously and now we'll probably be saddled with all the other English speaking cunce in the world bringing viral loads in by the Ryanair plane-full.

An bhfuil aon seans a bhfuil Gaeilge ag einne níos mó?

A few days ago somebody posted on here about Leo out and about in a gay bar whilst this cluster**** is going on around us. Here is a photo of Leo on that night in a restaurant near that gay bar and he is not keeping the recommended social distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

schengen area banned.

Just when I thought I was out, Trump pull me back in.

BUILD THAT WALL
    BUILD THAT WALL
    BUILD THAT WALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Cupatae wrote: »
    What sort of trouble will we be in if the virus is given free reign to spread? for the time being i think the right call is to put the economy on the back burner and tackle the virus.

The cat is out wrt the virus and it's not going back in. Trump's move is purely political as the virus is already well established in several US communities. Stopping trade with Europe will not stop the spread in the US.

In case you forgot, 2008-2011 was a real **** time to be alive - no one wants to see those days return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Trump took one look at Ita/Fra/Spa/Germany and made the correct choice.

One problem with leaving the uk open (and Dub?) to travel however, is that hundreds of thousands of highly mobile eu/int'l folks (all potential carriers) will now flood into London, Man, Glas and any other airport serving the states.

The uk will move into 'Phase 2' from tommorow onwards - which is sooner than expected.

ps. Who gives a flying monkey bat about some film celeb, even if he made a couple of decent films.
    This is a biblical pandemic underway, likely 5% of the global population won't exist by end of Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I don't think Ireland is on the list of banned

Watching on CNN Dhs said it only applies to people who have been in shengen countries within 14 days prior to travel to the US.

CNN are ripping them over the announcement.

I would normally be a fairly laid back person but I am positively ****ing ****ting myself now. Is this real?

If you think that’s bad, the NBA season has been suspended. Seems to be of more concern on US network TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

laugh wrote: »
    NOT TOM FUCKING HANKS! NOOOOOOO!

He's very calm about it. Probably all that preparation he did in Philadelphia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Trump has ****ed up here....why exempt the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

sdanseo wrote: »
    Completely incorrect. If the President can no longer serve, the VP takes over.

As it is more than halfway through the current term, he could also be re-elected twice. It's the only way a US President can serve more than two terms outside of a world war.
    At any rate the RNC would probably finagle the Convention to make Pence the candidate regardless,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement