Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Nbc have just said that the US has only done a single contact trace and that was on a lawyer in New York and the results are that 50 were infected.
    Crazy that its only 1 contract tracing done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

fritzelly wrote: »
    Being very conservative there

Yup and now down nearly 1500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    ‘English Premier League to by postponed, no winner this year”
    Oh well.

Would not like to be out in the streets of Liverpool during Phase 3/4 implimentation, they'll kick-up a major fuss too when there no toilet roll to throw also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Upside of this is that Dublin Airport is well placed to capitalise with no APD and US pre clearance.

Could the EU decide to reciprocate with suspensions? Would that not include Ireland suspending them too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

Further to the Homeland press issue, confirmed by the White House moments ago, the Presidential Order covers Schengen countries only, so Ireland is also exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Tippex wrote: »
    Nbc have just said that the US has only done a single contact trace and that was on a lawyer in New York and the results are that 50 were infected.

The US is riddled with the virus and they know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Imagine how it’s gonna feel when life goes back to normal.

There's alway this as a distraction, announced yesterday. :)

6193_announcement_launchpartyscreens_04_v2.1.jpg?itok=uaDRLezm

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

fritzelly wrote: »
    You really are the harbinger of doom - every single post of yours is doom and gloom, listen to what I'm saying, mark my words....

Starting to think you are one of the more elaborate trolls

do you need the world to crawl in the window and slap you in the face?

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    If they haven’t been to any schengen country in the last 14 days, right?

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

pad199207 wrote: »
    Could the EU decide to reciprocate with suspensions? Would that not include Ireland suspending them too?

I'd imagine they will reciprocate tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Tippex wrote: »
    The more we learn about this virus the more of a concern it is.

Medical chap on radio today said it will survive on almost any surface for 5days no bother. Some EU states are advising 60-70 penetration rates.

We can only hope the WuhanL4 near the wetmarket had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I can’t even sleep for worrying. The repercussions of this whole thing is going to be felt for years to come.
    I’m thinking about who was around the dinner table just a few months ago on Christmas Day and imagining who might not be there for 2020.
    I have more than a few vulnerable relatives who this could potentially kill and I’m asthmatic myself.
    I am of an anxious disposition anyway but seeing Boardsies who I would know to be sensible, measured, and intelligent people starting to really panic is freaking me out even more.
    I might have to unsubscribe for awhile. It feels like it’s all escalating at an astronomical pace now and it’s going to get worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

MadYaker wrote: »
    What do you think might happen so? Do you think the virus will stop for some reason? Or are you just in denial? This time last week I was agreeing with you by the way.

I don't think it's going to stop no but I do think the actions of governments and citizens will severely reduce the spread so the doomsday prophecies of 5%+ of world population dead by the summer just won't happen.

Immunity will increase over time as people catch and recover from the virus, better treatments are being trialled and will be discovered.

Hopefully it tapers off by the summer. The drastic actions that are being taken will have longer term economic effects that will effect millions more people than the virus itself imo though but they are required.

Still a lot of unknowns. It is scary for sure. These are unprecedented measures in our lifetimes.
    'Realist' (while you've been dismissing this as a bit of a cold for weeks now).
    And if this isn't a Pandemic of what could be called 'biblical proportions', you'd be right to get your coat.

Anyway expect you'll be awating some sort of bloodbath, to wallow in, Bloodbath, my, what a cherry little name to choose!

I never once dismissed it as a bit of a cold so you are talking ****e. But hey that is what you do best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There probably won't be any need. The airlines are not going to fly almost empty planes to the US.

And no one will want to fly on the planes to Europe, least they get stuck there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

GM228 wrote: »
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

Further to the Homeland press issue, confirmed by the White House moments ago, the Presidential Order covers Schengen countries only, so Ireland is also exempt.

A ban on US-Ireland travel would have been disastrous. There must be a huge number of business travellers, not just tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The US is riddled with the virus and they know it.

Yep nbc saying that and Andrew Couco was on CNN said effectively it is rampant in new york and I’m sure they said there will be hundreds of thousands infected in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭audman13

Are flights from Ireland to USA affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

TOM HANKS AND WIFE JUST TWEETED

THEY have the Coronavirus

Excellent tweet. Very calm and assured to be fair to the big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

CNN just said that yesterday the CDC sid no tests and the public health departments did 8. So right now the HSE is testing more people than America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Upside of this is that Dublin Airport is well placed to capitalise with no APD and US pre clearance.

Big opportunity for Ireland here. Executive types with money to waste from all over Europe. Fly to Dublin, quarantine in a hotel for 14 days (at full rate ofc), build the price of tests for guests and hotel/airport staff into it, test them on day 13, and let them off to US on day 14. Bus them to and from the airport directly to/from the tarmac to minimise contact.

audman13 wrote: »

No.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Strazdas wrote: »
    A ban on US-Ireland travel would have been disastrous. There must be a huge number of business travellers, not just tourists.

I'd say most business travel has all but stopped. Plenty of companies have either banned all business travel or heavily restricted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The goods will fly themselves so

Cargo planes are a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I can’t even sleep for worrying. The repercussions of this whole thing is going to be felt for years to come.
    I’m thinking about who was around the dinner table just a few months ago on Christmas Day and imagining who might not be there for 2020.
    I have more than a few vulnerable relatives who this could potentially kill and I’m asthmatic myself.
    I am of an anxious disposition anyway but seeing Boardsies who I would know to be sensible, measured, and intelligent people starting to really panic is freaking me out even more.
    I might have to unsubscribe for awhile. It feels like it’s all escalating at an astronomical pace now and it’s going to get worse before it gets better.

The only thing we can do is to channel the energy used in worrying, which is an entirely rational response, to productive activities to help keep ourselves and loved ones safe.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No, Ireland is exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ireland is outside Schengen anyway but also individual countries can decide third party immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No unless Trump changes his mind again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement