Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd say most business travel has all but stopped. Plenty of companies have either banned all business travel or heavily restricted it.

For sure, but the optics of a US-Ire ban would have been terrible. Imagine it being literally impossible for any Irish person to fly to the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The only thing we can do is to channel the energy used in worrying, which is an entirely rational response, to productive activities to help keep ourselves and loved ones safe.

This. I've been trying very hard to stay calm and not panic, for my daughters sake. That's it , no school for her until I see where this goes and we are effectively stuck here the US for the foreseeable as theres no way I'm travelling even if we could. Worried for family back home though, but being anxious wont help. I'd rather stay optimistic and hope we can stop this being too bad by making the sacrifices needed for now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Excellent tweet. Very calm and assured to be fair to the big man.

Trumps making the big calls, fair play to him, right or wrong his not following like a sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Im going into fucķıng lockdown. Batten the hatches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I'd say most business travel has all but stopped. Plenty of companies have either banned all business travel or heavily restricted it.

Exactly. It is just tourists that are/will be affected.

And the airline and the whole tourism industry. But that's not just limited to the US and would happen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well, with all the co2 that will be saved over the next 30 days, at least Greta will be happy. And she's conveniently virtually immune to the disease. Almost no kids getting it.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Well, with all the co2 that will be saved over the next 30 days, at least Greta will be happy. And she's conveniently virtually immune to the disease. Almost no kids getting it.

They get it but have 0 symptoms apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fritzelly wrote: »
    You really are the harbinger of doom - every single post of yours is doom and gloom, listen to what I'm saying, mark my words....

Starting to think you are one of the more elaborate trolls

Get a grip. She's just telling it like it is. Fame and fortune won't sway a virus from it's course, or any disease for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The only shops to open in Italy tommorow will be Pharmacies and Grocers.

The uk will likely follow their move(s), in the coming weeks, Phase 2/4 to be announced tommorow (containment has failed, delay actions to start).

The only shops to open in Italy tommorow will be Pharmacies and Grocers.

The uk will likely follow their move(s), in the coming weeks, Phase 2/4 to be announced tommorow (containment has failed, delay actions to start).

Meanwhile ireland keeps licking windows.:D

I wonder will we have to wait another 2-3 weeks before ourcontainment... to our absolute shock...also fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oil fallen another 6%. Gas how it never suddenly plunges in the filling stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

pad199207 wrote: »
    Oil fallen another 6%. Gas how it never suddenly plunges in the filling stations.

It's clearly price gouging. Regulator should do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Big opportunity for Ireland here. Executive types with money to waste from all over Europe. Fly to Dublin, quarantine in a hotel for 14 days (at full rate ofc), build the price of tests for guests and hotel/airport staff into it, test them on day 13, and let them off to US on day 14. Bus them to and from the airport directly to/from the tarmac to minimise contact.

Trump will include us with the stroke of a pen if things are not kept under control. In order to grab this opportunity, we will need to accelerate into the next phases which will impact the economy elsewhere. Hopefully Ireland can benefit without increasing the risk of spread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The more we learn about this virus the more of a concern it is.

Medical chap on radio today said it will survive on almost any surface for 5days no bother. Some EU states are advising 60-70 penetration rates.

We can only hope the WuhanL4 near the wetmarket had nothing to do with it.

Who is "chap on the radio" , some random caller , because hes talking horse****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Imagine a bat in a open mart out in a far away land has caused the system to shake to its core. It’s mind boggling. Need to remove myself from this news and watch some always sunny but how to take your eye off when living in such epochal changing times.

It is insane when you think about it.

But in many ways not surprising in an increasingly complex (and insane) world.

I, and i'm sure others, frequently have the feeling that systems nowadays are just way too complex for any one person or group of people to control. And way too susceptible to chaos. The potential for chaos is immense IMO in modern society.

Sounds a bit gloomy but i don't think it's far from the truth.

The Ruskies are having a game of who'll blink first with the Saudis.

In a time of pestilence, you'd surely favour the hardened outdoor Siberians over empty barren sand dunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Surley banning any flights into the U.S. is a good thing ? and its only for 1 month. The UK should be included in that . I didn't watch the speech but who cares? Are alot of people on boards planning on going to the States in march?
    The airline companies will take a hammerig but shouldn't every country already be doing this anyway ?. this is how it spread around the world afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Could the EU decide to reciprocate with suspensions? Would that not include Ireland suspending them too?
    Technically directed at Schengen free travel area not EU per se.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've started a typed diary with daily entries describing events happening and my feelings in relation to them, these are historic times and I want to have some record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Cupatae wrote: »
    Meanwhile ireland keeps licking windows.:D

I wonder will we have to wait another 2-3 weeks before ourcontainment... to our absolute shock...also fails.

HSE are well aware of the risks and are contemplating shutting schools and even a total lockdown. But they don't want to move too soon - for sensible reasons.

There was a good discussion about this on Late Debate tonight.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    Who is "chap on the radio" , some random caller , because hes talking horse****.
    He was meant to be a high ranking medic, your right may have been overhyping it, the googlebot points to studies for the following:

< 3 hours in the air (assuming thats standard air-con blasting)
    < 4 hrs on copper
    < 24 hours on cardboard
    and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    This. I've been trying very hard to stay calm and not panic, for my daughters sake. That's it , no school for her until I see where this goes and we are effectively stuck here the US for the foreseeable as theres no way I'm travelling even if we could. Worried for family back home though, but being anxious wont help. I'd rather stay optimistic and hope we can stop this being too bad by making the sacrifices needed for now

No one under 9 has died from the virus, anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not technically directed at Schengen area; actually directed at Schengen area.

Plus, not a flight ban; a ban on entry by non-US persons who have been in Schengen area in the previous 14 days. So flights will travel as normal (unless cancelled due to lack of demand) but everyone will be screened and passengers who have been in Schengen area and who are not US citizens/permanent residents will be denied. Same screening will apply to flights arriving from non-Schengen countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

What an Interesting and worrying development tonight. It will impact me directly and also every business worldwide. I saw it first and thought SH!T if anything happens to anyone at home, how the hell do I get back.

Then read the details: Ireland and the UK not included... relaxed a little and then got MORE angry. This is making a political statement about a f***ing virus.

Then to hear all cargo is included and thought SH!T how does this work... then another tweet and most cargo is not affected... WTF??? Can they get nothing right in this announcement??

I have a co-worker due to come back to the States next week. From a shengen Country... does this mean he will have to be isolated for 14 days???? The whole situation is a complete trainwreck....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not technically directed at Schengen area; actually directed at Schengen area.

Plus, not a flight ban; a ban on entry by non-US persons who have been in Schengen area in the previous 14 days. So flights will travel as normal (unless cancelled due to lack of demand) but everyone will be screened and passengers who have been in Schengen area and who are not US citizens/permanent residents will be denied. Same screening will apply to flights arriving from non-Schengen countries.

There will probably be some form of retaliation tomorrow from countries on the continent.

Let's hope we don't have difficult decisions to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

NSAman wrote: »
    What an Interesting and worrying development tonight. It will impact me directly and also every business worldwide. I saw it first and thought SH!T if anything happens to anyone at home, how the hell do I get back.

Then read the details: Ireland and the UK not included... relaxed a little and then got MORE angry. This is making a political statement about a f***ing virus.

Then to hear all cargo is included and thought SH!T how does this work... then another tweet and most cargo is not affected... WTF??? Can they get nothing right in this announcement??

I have a co-worker due to come back to the States next week. From a shengen Country... does this mean he will have to be isolated for 14 days???? The whole situation is a complete trainwreck....

Trump is a real genius alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The US is going to get pretty hard with CV because of the basic problems of not having socially based healthcare nor sickness pay for workers.

There'll come a time when many other countries will be banning flights from there instead.

I expect the death rate in the US to make China and Italy look minor in comparison, both countries that actually have better capacity to treat people who can't afford private care.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

kaymin wrote: »
    No one under 9 has died from the virus, anywhere.

Of course not.

Viruses require hosts and it does not work if it's killing off future victims. Supply and demand I guess.

Strazdas wrote: »
    HSE are well aware of the risks and are contemplating shutting schools and even a total lockdown. But they don't want to move too soon - for sensible reasons.

There was a good discussion about this on Late Debate tonight.

Id rather less contemplating and more action tbh, we all know the route its going i dont see the advantage of delaying the inevitable, its a matter of time.. no contemplating needed. id Rather we move too soon than too late.

• Advertisement

Can only assume the volume at DUB (and all of uk) will be +++,
    what if the Italians are hoping to get off to MIA, will they Ryanair it over here with great gusto next week?

Maybe start spraying the place down, luggage en al.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement