Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

NSAman wrote: »
    The worrying thing in the States is that there is NO information locally about where cases are creeping in. I know only a few cases in Chicago and Madison. It has been reported that a family in Iowa were supposed to be in self isolation but went out shopping and the kids mixed with other kids.

People, in general, where I am have NO concept of this virus. I have been preparing for this for a number of weeks. Tomorrow marks things becoming REAL for staff and people who interact with the office.

My own opinion is that the USA has NO idea how many actual cases it has.

It worries the hell out of me that such draconian measures are being taken to ban all travel, this from someone who didn’t seem to take it seriously until this evening. what are they NOT telling people.

I agree. I was basically laughed at a few weeks ago when I expressed concern about a student from China, which was the epicentre at the time, spending 2 weeks in my daughters classroom. Only one person I know even gives the slightest sh!t about it and still thinks it will just go away when it gets warm in a few weeks. I know frontline medical workers who just don't think it's a big deal. While I'd like to find that reassuring, I'm not sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

kaymin wrote: »
    See link above.

Pre-existing medical conditions (comorbidities)
    Patients who reported no pre-existing ("comorbid") medical conditions had a case fatality rate of 0.9%.

That is 1% - even if that were true that's catastrophic. How many perfectly healthy individuals are there at 45, never mind 70?

The CFR in Italy at the moment is north of 8%.

There is a reason countries are taking the extreme measures they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Alot of European airlines have suspended flights to Asian destinations, and were redeploying resources onto transatlantic routes to wait it out. This is a disaster for the aviation industry. I can think of at least one airline I would expect to collapse in the next 24 hours. Possible another couple to follow within the 30 days.

CNN doing its best to criticize Trump.

"Trump misrepresents Europe travel ban during primetime address, causing confusion.

Trump said "we will be suspending all travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days" before adding that there will be "exemptions for Americans who have undergone appropriate screenings."

Those exemptions are far more extensive than the President made them out to be. They apply to all US legal permanent residents, citizens and some of their family members, according to a statement from the Department of Homeland Security.

The travel restrictions Trump is enacting are in fact far more similar to those enacted on China."

I'd say they're raging it's China and not Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I agree. I was basically laughed at a few weeks ago when I expressed concern about a student from China, which was the epicentre at the time, spending 2 weeks in my daughters classroom. Only one person I know even knows or gives a **** about it but still thinks it will just go away when it gets warm in a few weeks. I know frontline medical workers who just don't think it's a big deal. While I'd like to find that reassuring, I'm not sure it is.

If it's a few weeks ago then why would you still be concerned, give the incubation period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

That is 1% - even if that were true that's catastrophic. How many perfectly healthy individuals are there at 45, never mind 70?

The CFR in Italy at the moment is north of 8%.

There is a reason countries are taking the extreme measures they are.

As another poster pointed out, that's 0.9% of hospitalised cases. The true % of actual cases leading to death will be far lower.

As someone that recovered from a cancer with a 75% recovery rate / 25% death rate, I'm comfortable with those odds.

The high death rate in Italy is due to the older demographics which is not replicated elsewhere. Not to play down the issue if old and / or in poor health.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hard to follow this. Can someone explain the logic behind banning Schengen but not Ireland and the U.K.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would be surprised if Trump's flight ban isn't challenged in the courts.
    https://www.change.org/Covid-19IE

Sign this petition if you want immediate and responsible action on these emergent issues by the Irish government.
    faceman wrote: »
    Hard to follow this. Can someone explain the logic behind banning Schengen but not Ireland and the U.K.?

It's trying to create an English-speaking trade and tourism Bloc. F that, personally I prefer Europe for all their crap, any day. Well... no time soon. But at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

imfml wrote: »
    Alot of European airlines have suspended flights to Asian destinations, and were redeploying resources onto transatlantic routes to wait it out. This is a disaster for the aviation industry. I can think of at least one airline I would expect to collapse in the next 24 hours. Possible another couple to follow within the 30 days.

Do tell

Sign this petition if you want immediate and responsible action on these emergent issues by the Irish government.

What you're asking for there would destroy more livelihoods than the virus in this country. IF we get what you want :
    300k US jobs - gone
    Aer Lingus - gone
    50% of Irish exports - gone
    (thus 50% of Irish manufacturing jobs not owned by US companies - also gone)
    and the rest. and thats just from the travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Bit of a contradictory statement - or does Italy, followed by Spain and France and Germany get an exemption?
    Now is not the time to form a coalition against this union which has brought many benefits to its members; certainly not just because English-speaking bullies intend to unite against them
    Please sign this petition to support implementation of a prompt travel ban or mandatory quarantine period from ALL regions of the world badly affected by Covid-19

As another poster pointed out, that's 0.9% of hospitalised cases. The true % of actual cases leading to death will be far lower.

As someone that recovered from a cancer with a 75% recovery rate / 25% death rate, I'm comfortable with those odds.

But you, as so many, misinterpret basic numbers and percentages.

1 in 100 healthy die - ok.

10 in 1,000 healthy die - seems reasonable.

100 in 10,000 die - becoming a bit dodge but still reasonable.

1,000 in 100,000 die - ok now we are getting in to dodgy territory.

10,000 in 1 million - now it's unacceptable and scares the sh!t out of the public.

You are, of course, in your absurd attempt to downplay the seriousness of the situation forgetting about the circa 20% (on available data) that will require hospital care. And the circa 10% requiring ICU.

Not looking so rosy now, is it? Consider the consequences of those last two figures on health systems and society and you will quickly realise it is more than the virus killing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

cnocbui wrote: »
    If it's a few weeks ago then why would you still be concerned, give the incubation period?

I'm not still concerned. At the time I was. Even though the school actually had a rule in place stating that people who had been in China within the past 2 weeks could not attend, they looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to verify that they had checked that the child had been here for the required time before coming in. People here in the US dont seem to care or be concerned at all about any of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Tom Hanks is a reasonably old age and he has type 2 diabetes.. Hope he'll be OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gone for a bit and what the hell has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The US is going to get pretty hard with CV because of the basic problems of not having socially based healthcare nor sickness pay for workers.

There'll come a time when many other countries will be banning flights from there instead.

I expect the death rate in the US to make China and Italy look minor in comparison, both countries that actually have better capacity to treat people who can't afford private care.
    Agreed. Trump could probably have done more to halt the spread of CoViD-19 in the USA by introducing free public health screening and treatment combined with income support for anyone needing to self isolate or diagnosed with CoViD-19 but that would have taken some nuanced intelligence.

As the travel restrictions only apply to aliens, a US national is free to travel from a high risk area to the US.

There is already significant community transmission of CoViD-19 in the USA and medical advice is that restricting travel has limited effectiveness once community transmission is established.

I get the feeling this travel restriction is far more about appearances than effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

If I see another “happy” story in the local news here I think I will throw a block at the damned thing.

Covid19 made the top story for the FIRST TIME tonight. It took 10-15 seconds on the travel ban then went on to talk about the NBA..which of course took up most of the time.... fans worrying about where to stay and whether they will be getting a refund. The sheer lack of awareness of this virus in the States (local to me) is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

What an Interesting and worrying development tonight. It will impact me directly and also every business worldwide. I saw it first and thought SH!T if anything happens to anyone at home, how the hell do I get back.

Then read the details: Ireland and the UK not included... relaxed a little and then got MORE angry. This is making a political statement about a f***ing virus.
    Doesn't make sense to ban individual Schengen countries as potential infectees can simply drive to a neighboring country and fly out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

But you, as so many, misinterpret basic numbers and percentages.

1 in 100 healthy die - ok.

10 in 1,000 healthy die - seems reasonable.

100 in 10,000 die - becoming a bit dodge but still reasonable.

1,000 in 100,000 die - ok now we are getting in to dodgy territory.

10,000 in 1 million - now it's unacceptable and scares the sh!t out of the public.

You are, of course, in your absurd attempt to downplay the seriousness of the situation forgetting about the circa 20% (on available data) that will require hospital care. And the circa 10% requiring ICU.

Not looking so rosy now, is it? Consider the consequences of those last two figures on health systems and society.

I'm just stating facts and giving my personal perspective on how I feel about it. Getting yourself worked up about it will only suppress your immune system and make yourself more susceptible to the virus. I've been through far worse though i will take all precautions that are within my control to take. That is all anyone can do. Beyond that I won't worry about it as it achieves no good and probably will harm you

Also you need to use far less than 1% in your calculations and even then you're supposing it gets totally out of control which I don't foresee. See China, Korea, Singapore etc for likely path it will take.

I'm just stating facts and giving my personal perspective on how I feel about it. Getting yourself worked up about it will only suppress your immune system and make yourself more susceptible to the virus. I've been through far worse though i will take all precautions that are within my control to take. That is all anyone can do. Beyond that I won't worry about it as it achieves no good and probably will harm you

I'm not worked up about it.

But I am under no illusions about the scope of the crisis we face. The virus is at the center of it but it represents only a small part of the collateral damage.

Neither are world governments which is why you are seeing the actions that are being taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

fritzelly wrote: »
    Bit of a contradictory statement - or does Italy, followed by Spain and France and Germany get an exemption?
    Don't take sides, just impose the quarantine on all actually affected regions. It will cost money on the ground, but it will save many lives.

The US and UK are trying to strong-arm Ireland into some sort of English-speaking travel area. I would propose that this would open the floodgates and we'd be inundated. US and UK are probably doing an even worse job than EU of containing this, but it's hard to fully understand because they have idiotic testing criteria and other shortcomings. We're already in a union and they're f°°ked too, let's not join with the more evil of two evils. Let's just say "Yeah Europe, bon chance. Yeah USUK, cheerio and have a nice day". Thoughts and prayers all.
    sdanseo wrote: »
    What you're asking for there would destroy more livelihoods than the virus in this country. IF we get what you want :
    300k US jobs - gone
    Aer Lingus - gone
    50% of Irish exports - gone
    (thus 50% of Irish manufacturing jobs not owned by US companies - also gone)
    and the rest. and thats just from the travel.
    So are you against any, even temporary, travel restrictions? Seems very short-sighted and like a reckless strategy that is not likely to work even in the short term. Stimulating jobs in the face of recession will be the next issue, if we manage to contain this pandemic we're facing. I hate to be the one to tell you about this. It's called SARS-Covid19 and it's going to cause worldwide disruption to supply chains, tourism and domestic movements of all varieties.

Petition https://www.change.org/Covid-19IE

Typical Kermit. Asks for stats, doesn't like them, blows up the numbers to make them scary anyway, and ignores the poster's point about it being 1% of hospital cases, when the majority of cases don't end up in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,256 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If I see another “happy” story in the local news here I think I will throw a block at the damned thing.

Covid19 made the top story for the FIRST TIME tonight. It took 10-15 seconds on the travel ban then went on to talk about the NBA..which of course took up most of the time.... fans worrying about where to stay and whether they will be getting a refund. The sheer lack of awareness of this virus in the States (local to me) is amazing.

If this is true the situation could get very unstable in the next few weeks. Where do you live? In a sense if everyone else is still oblivious you should go and stock up on a few weeks of supplies now before everyone realises whats happening.

Typical Kermit. Asks for stats, doesn't like them, blows up the numbers to make them scary anyway, and ignores the poster's point about it being 1% of hospital cases, when the majority of cases don't end up in hospital.

The facts are the facts.

The poster said 1% - I gave the poster 1%.

I also gave the facts as we know them on hospitalisation in order to save the lives of sick and healthy people.

Too inconvenient for you.

Typical Ads by Google (if that is your real name)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It's trying to create an English-speaking trade and tourism Bloc. F that, personally I prefer Europe for all their crap, any day. Well... no time soon. But at some stage.

That petition makes no sense and neither does your explanation.

A thread on After Hours of all places explained it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

For those who are stating that Covid-19 will not last in warm weather, take a look at Tom Hanks and his Wife Rita Wilson. Tom is in Australia making a movie and it's their summer. Tom and Rita just caught Covid-19 in warm weather. This could be another game-changer.

So are you against any, even temporary, travel restrictions? Seems very short-sighted and like a reckless strategy that is not likely to work even in the short term.

Not at all, see my post a page or two back (thread is very fast moving so very hard to keep track of them all)
    sdanseo wrote: »
    Speaking politically if this does happen Ireland will have a very split loyalty and ultimately must act unilaterally and resist.

We can and should close the borders to hotspots, for sure Italy, particularly affected cities, maybe impose quarantine. But blanket banning the US is a step too far. It would destroy any economy the 99.5% of survivors have left to enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

faceman wrote: »
    Fewer barriers between countries within Schengen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement