Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Kauto wrote: »
    Pure rubbish! Cop yourself on.

I thought that was a thoughtful and realistic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

kaymin wrote: »
    Some countries are over reacting others aren't.

Which ones aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Is it? What part?

I wouldn't bother. Just one of the last remaining "it'll be grand" er's still deluding themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

Which ones aren't?

Italy.

China, Korea, Singapore also did what was necessary and came out the other side. Given there's a proven template to follow to beat the virus, the hysteria is unwarranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

89% of those currently infected have mild symptoms.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/#recovered
    "Mild" is a self reported number. It means nothing. You want to take worldometers stats as the benchmark for mild? Ok, Let's do that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/

Iran have reported 9000 cases as mild. Not a single critical case in Iran.
    They have closed 3313 of those mild cases.
    There has been 354 deaths, 11% of closed cases.

Must be a few mild cases of death.

Some countries are over reacting others aren't. Trump's announcement this evening is purely political. If he was serious about addressing the virus he would roll out free testing for it rather than expecting people to pay up to 2 or 3k to be tested. I'd have liked the Irish govt to shut down flights from Italy weeks ago but other than that I think they have found a proportionate approach.

Other countries such as slovakia have closed all schools and universities despite having minimal cases and generally not many visitors from abroad. The public there is almost in a state of hysteria - complete over reaction led from the top.

Yes and no.

I think this crisis could, or should, be a test of the American healthcare model.

Other countries can see what's happening and are taking early precautions so as to protect their health care systems too, which I think is rational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I do believe the majority of people who get this will be fine. That's not to downplay the deaths. It's going to be devastating for a lot of people.

Even more devastating are going to be the economic effects. I live in Vegas, its going to be decimated if it isnt brought under control sharpish. I've already seen reports of some hotels running at 9% occupancy. That's unheard of, it's usually pretty much 90%+ year round. Not sure what the future holds and that's scary

Mellor wrote: »
    "Mild" is a self reported number. It means nothing. You want to take worldometers stats as the benchmark for mild? Ok, Let's do that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/

Iran have reported 9000 cases as mild. Not a single critical case in Iran.
    They have closed 3313 of those mild cases.
    There has been 354 deaths, 11% of closed cases.

Must be a few mild cases of death.

It means nothing for Iran. Not all countries are like Iran.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yes and no.

I think this crisis could, or should, be a test of the American healthcare model.

Other countries can see what's happening and are taking early precautions so as to protect their health care systems too, which I think is rational.

The American healthcare model will fail miserably to cope with this virus. There's no safety net for those without health insurance and on the margins of society.

• Advertisement

Is the around 20% figure for critical going of confirmed cases or estimated total cases?

Edit: Stupid question. It must be for confirmed or everyone confirmed would be critical.

What do you know about Iran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Italy.

China, Korea, Singapore also did what was necessary and came out the other side. Given there's a proven template to follow to beat the virus, the hysteria is unwarranted.

Just curious, what do you think will happen once these countries loosen up their restrictions and attempt to go back to normal everyday life?

I don't disagree with you btw, that there are drastic measures we can take to curtail this outbreak... but the real question is just how permanent or temporary these measures actually are?

China, for example, could very easily have another massive wave of this outbreak if they go back to normal protocols. It could be like removing flood defences, before the flood waters have receded... you would be back at square one yet again!

Is the around 20% figure for critical going of confirmed cases or estimated total cases?

Edit: Stupid question. It must be for confirmed or everyone confirmed would be critical.

11pc for serious or critical active cases, don't know about closed.

I expect all of the numbers to go down, but could rise again.

Italy.

What makes you think they are "out the other side"?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    11pc for active cases, don't know about closed.

And is there a good estimate of people infected but not enough for hospital? 5x? 10x?

And is there a good estimate of people infected but not enough for hospital? 5x? 10x?

No idea. Anyone's guess.
    I'm just going by worldometers stats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The American healthcare model will fail miserably to cope with this virus. There's no safety net for those without health insurance and on the margins of society.

Fail? Or work exactly as intended? A culling of the old and poor is the market at its most efficient. When this virus gets into those Californian skid rows it's going to be a horror show.

sabat wrote: »
    Fail? Or work exactly as intended? A culling of the old and poor is the market at its most efficient. When this virus gets into those Californian skid rows it's going to be a horror show.

For sure. Won't show in the stats though, who is going to assess cause of death in some homeless or poor person when the system is already under pressure. Just numbers, not people.

I'm going to list some statements. Feel free to point out where I'm wrong.

Most people who get it are asymptomatic, based on the cruise ship stats.

Off the rest who are symptomatic, most people have mild symptoms and don't go to hospital.

Of the people who are confirmed to have it in hospital, 11% go into critical condition.

Of the confirmed who have it in hospital, it kills 0.9% of youngish adults who don't have underlying conditions.

It doesn't kill children. It affects the elderly and people with underlying conditions far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No, not all countries are like Iran.
    But you're including Iranian mild cases in your post.

Off the rest who are symptomatic, most people have mild symptoms and don't go to hospital.

Of the people who are confirmed to have it in hospital, 11% go into critical condition.

Of the confirmed who have it in hospital, it kills 0.9% of youngish adults who don't have underlying conditions.

It doesn't kill children. It affects the elderly and people with underlying conditions far more.

Mostly wrong (all wrong)
    As you know.

I'll leave it to others to tease apart each myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Your wrong about children,

They said last week young children are vulnerable because their immune system is not fully developed

Seems like some people on here are really wishing it gets bad in the US so they can moan about the healthcare system/Trump/Americans in general etc. Pathetic

What makes you think they are "out the other side"?

Each of those countries have had miniscule or no new cases in recent days and weeks.

They spread it. It can be spread during incubation.

20% will require hospitalisation

Yes

Unknown. Evidence suggests so.

Again unknown.

I go back to a previous post - a virus needs a host. It won't be killing young people it needs as future incumbents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If you say so. There's an election approaching in the US in case you hadn't noticed.

Who gives a rats about an election in the US.

Last thing on most peoples minds.

IrishHomer wrote: »

They said last week young children are vulnerable because their immune system is not fully developed

No one under the age of 9 has died from the virus

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Seems like some people on here are really wishing it gets bad in the US so they can moan about the healthcare system/Trump/Americans in general etc.

We don't have to hope, even if were so inclined.
    Evidence is enough, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »

When did they say that? I dont remember it. All I hear is how children arent affected which seems dubious to me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement