Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

khalessi wrote: »
    I am sitting here awake tears in my eyes reading this, cant sleep as my one of my kids is worried Im going to die. It was the last question I was asked last night before they fell asleep.The second last question was whether they would get it and die.

How do I reassure them?

This is heartbreaking

Just reassure and do it over and over again, Your voice and your words and you being there will ease this. ((((HUGS!)))) And look after YOU!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MadYaker wrote: »
    If this is true the situation could get very unstable in the next few weeks. Where do you live? In a sense if everyone else is still oblivious you should go and stock up on a few weeks of supplies now before everyone realises whats happening.

Reading the list recently many have stocked up. Wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,575 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A bit sweeping considering all Irish cases, so far, have been hospitalised, but that's just for monitoring (rather than them all being seriously ill).
    Precautionary admnission verses "had to go" to hospital. Once we hit ICU capacity, precautionary admission goes out the window.
    One quarter of people who have to go to hospital die?

Yes. Rounding for clarity.

If the hospitalisation rate is 20%.
    And the death rate has been 5%.
    Then 5/20 = 1/4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Strazdas wrote: »
    So the ban is on anyone who has been in Europe recently, not just EU citizens. Even a Brazilian or a South African who has visited a Schengen country cannot fly on to the US.
    Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus, Croatia are not in Schengen and therefore are excluded from the ban, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

All of the people talking about how it'll only be 0.9% mortality should consider the following:

1. 20% of people will be hospitalised.

2. Many of these will develop Bilateral Interstitial Pneumonia.

3. Even if you survive this episode the long-term consequences can be devastating. There are many types of interstitial lung disease but mean survivals range from 2.5 to 7 years. Let's be optimistic and assume that with this it is 5 to 10 years.

Well, reducing the life expectancy of a large number of people in Ireland to 5 to 10 years and having these years be very limited in terms of their ability to do anything active and maybe people will begin to realise that even if we only have a 1% death rate now having a 9% rate of long-term complications from interstitial Lung Disease reducing life expectancy for this cohort to 5 to 10 years would be utterly devastating to the country and really drop average life expectancy for the next couple of decades.

There's a reason China is doing full lung transplants on survivors already.

People are just far too blase about this.

I've read and listened to many commentators and not one has detailed outcomes like this!?

What's this based on?

Where is China getting all the healthy lungs from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭sudzs

Graces7 wrote: »
    Reading the list recently many have stocked up. Wisely.

I was in one of the big Tescos yesterday and ALL the pasta was sold out. All except the wholewheat stuff! The hoarders are willing to starve rather than eat wholewheat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

That was some night of developments...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nijmegen wrote: »

Aye, i'm still erect :P

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Very hard to believe this is actually happening, like a really bad dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

sudzs wrote: »
    I was in one of the big Tescos yesterday and ALL the pasta was sold out. All except the wholewheat stuff! The hoarders are willing to starve rather than eat wholewheat!!!

Fools. The trick is to over do it in the fibre and constipate yourself to save TP.

Prepping 101 like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Nijmegen wrote: »

Mind summarising? So hard catch up on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just reading my multinationals update for each region. Absolute mess to be honest. So many country legislations, travel restrictions, site closures and employees testing positive in different sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Fools. The trick is to over do it in the fibre and constipate yourself to save TP.

Prepping 101 like.

Pasta & toilet rolls, that's all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Trump cancels all flights to America from Europe for 30days and our spineless leo wouldn't do the same for italy, the mans a joke and not fit to be leader, I hope trump turns him away the absolute bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Aye, i'm still erect :P
    TMI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Phil.x wrote: »
    Trump cancels all flights to America from Europe for 30days and our spineless leo wouldn't do the same for italy, the mans a joke and not fit to be leader, I hope trump turns him away the absolute bellend.

It appears at this stage no one wants Leos job. I think everyones forgot about the recent election

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump cancels all flights to America from Europe for 30days and our spineless leo wouldn't do the same for italy, .

Important to remember that we are a small island and what goes around can come around.

It's not as simple as some make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Mind summarising? So hard catch up on this thread.

America bans travel from Schengen area EU countries, blames EU as well as China for the “foreign virus”, had to quickly clarify he didn’t mean goods. The impacts of this are gonna be wild.

Oh, and Tom Hanks has the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Trump says he's cancelling all flights to America from Europe for 30 days but actually has done nothing of the kind and plainly has no clue about what his own government is doing, and you think this is the occasion to express the view that Leo is a joke and not fit to be leader?

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Important to remember that we are a small island and what goes around can come around.

It's not as simple as some make out.

It is actually

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

old_aussie wrote: »
    Who gives a rats about an election in the US.

Last thing on most peoples minds.

Trump is the first thing on a lot of saddos minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

This really is grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

paddythere wrote: »
    It is actually

Easy or not. The dominoes will start to fall now. Many countries with stop international travel

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

White House have already cancelled meeting with Taoiseach

Nope. They cancelled the 'shamrock ceremony'. Meeting still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

are we just trying to get past paddies day before we close everything down? what are we waiting for?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Nope. They cancelled the 'shamrock ceremony'. Meeting still happening.

My mistake

What about internal travel in the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Cathal Berry TD (@BerryCathal) Tweeted:
    Slovenian field hospital below. Modular, scalable, mobile & easy to co-locate with HSE hospitals to build capacity within 24hrs. The Army even tried to buy one last year. Request denied by DoD. The day of reckoning has come... @SimonHarrisTD @HSELive @LeoVaradkar @roinnslainte https://t.co/sIpHj9daiP

School gyms = field hospitals

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Trump says he's cancelling all flights to America from Europe for 30 days but actually has done nothing of the kind and plainly has no clue about what his own government is doing, and you think this is the occasion to express the view that Leo is a joke and not fit to be leader?

Interesting.

So what has he actually done? What has the US government done? Issue a travel advisory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭amacca

are we just trying to get past paddies day before we close everything down? what are we waiting for?

That's the bit I can't understand. It's criminally negligent if them at this stage given the stories coming out of Italy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement