Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Taiwan has kept it's cases below 50. It's up on top of China. It has a population of 23 million. It shut down travel to and from China early. They also did many others things early on that other countries should have taken note of.https://www.dw.com/en/how-has-taiwan-kept-its-coronavirus-infection-rate-so-low/a-52724523 Imagine having the advantage of knowing what would work in advance. Did other countries like Ireland follow suit? Did we ban travel from Italy when things got out of control. We were told that was impossible. The US have banned travel from nearly the whole of Europe. So why was it impossible? Many people and experts were saying a long time ago to ban travel from Italy but that was ignored. The experts the government have been led by were wrong. We should have banned travel. Those experts are not doing what's best for the people as long as they are deciding short time economic matters are on a par with saving the lives of our citizens. We are an island. We had the perfect chance to secure ourselves against the worst of this and slow the spread. Now that its spreading as quick as it is, are our government doing enough to stop the spread? No they aren't. Dithering over the parades. Dithering o we school closures. Every step of the way when we look back we can see that they haven't taken the obvious decisions. When this is all over and it's analysed we'll see that they have failed us time and time again.

For anyone who thinks that putting extreme measures in place is panicking, well in a few weeks time you'll be looking back and wishing we had panicked a long time ago.

People still think this is up there with the bad snow we got a few years ago and people were panic buying bread. Some people think this is the same type of panic again and that it's something to be laughed at. This is a whole different ball game.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Apologies if already posted but I see Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

are we just trying to get past paddies day before we close everything down? what are we waiting for?

Agreed ,

Retail and hospitality is dead anyway so it might curb the damage if everything just paused for a couple of weeks ,

I’m self employed in a fairly busy industry and I’m worried to be honest , have customers in every sector of business and everything is up in the air , scary times and in a few weeks I don’t think money will be on anyone’s mind the age old saying your health is your wealth comes to mind

• Subscribers Posts: 41,795 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Phil.x wrote: »
    Trump cancels all flights to America from Europe for 30days and our spineless leo wouldn't do the same for italy, the mans a joke and not fit to be leader, I hope trump turns him away the absolute bellend.

The ignorance in this post is strong.

This was from an orange president who previously called the virus a hoax, and who only days ago said it was nothing to worry about??

He also hasn't cancelled flights, he's banned people..... Actually he's banned "foreign nationals".... Because the virus is a "foreign virus"...

Talk about slamming the barn door shut after the horse has bolted.... But leaving the side door open all the same.

The man's an idiot, a dangerous idiot.... He could barely read from the prompter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Easy or not. The dominoes will start to fall now. Many countries with stop international travel
    A largely futile gesture, according to the WHO, and one which can "stifle the flow of medicines and aid" and "may divert resources from other [more effective] interventions".

No amount of travel bans would do even a fraction as much for the US as would increasing the capacity to test for coronavirus. The US record here is woeful; they have been testing at a fraction of the rate of other countries. And yet accurate testing is foundational to any effective strategy. It allows health authorities to identify clusters, trace the movement of the virus, make critical decisions on where risks lie and allocate resources accordingly. Societies that cannot resort to the draconian measures seen in China or that would prefer to avoid them - like Taiwan and Singapore - have made testing the foundation of their (so far, effective) measure to contain the spread of the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

are we just trying to get past paddies day before we close everything down? what are we waiting for?

The numbers to rise. And a sign that its community spreading. Unlike Italy. People here are taking this very serious. At this early stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The ignorance in this post is strong.

This was from an orange president who previously called the virus a hoax, and who only days ago said it was nothing to worry about??

He already hasn't cancelled flights, he's banned people..... Actually he's banned "foreign nationals".... Because the virus is a "foreign virus"...

Talk about slamming the barn door shut after the horse has bolted.... But leaving the side door open all the same.

The man's an idiot, a dangerous idiot.... He could barely read from the prompter

So only American citizens can board US bound flights? Regrardless of the virus. How's that going to work?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The fact that flights aren't banned for Ireland and UK, does this mean we could have an influx of people coming to Ireland to get to the US, or will they stop anybody entering the US who was in another country beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,271 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In tesco in cork last night, quiet in there and i still saw 3 non-asians wearing masks. Scary times ahead but its not too late to avoid an italy if we take extreme measures now.

I was a bit dismissive of this virus up to this week but the rate its spread through Italy is alarming.

I've avoided the gym (mma so lots of contact) all week, went shopping late in the evening and stayed in the office pretty much all week in work. I will avoid pubs, crowded places best i can anc keep scrubbing my hands after I'm in contact with others our outside.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

lawred2 wrote: »
    So only American citizens can board US bound flights? Regrardless of the virus. How's that going to work?

Yip...silly. Just to a token/populist measure! Dirty Europeans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

khalessi wrote: »
    I am sitting here awake tears in my eyes reading this, cant sleep as my one of my kids is worried Im going to die. It was the last question I was asked last night before they fell asleep.The second last question was whether they would get it and die.

How do I reassure them?

What do you suggest Pseudonym?

This is heartbreaking

It's scary to think there are posters on this thread infecting their kids with their neuroses.

People need to kop themselves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

amacca wrote: »
    That's the bit I can't understand. It's criminally negligent if them at this stage given the stories coming out of Italy.

So close everything?

How does the nation feed itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

The way I read it, he’s banning the flights, regardless of the nationality of the people onboard.

Do we expect pressure on Leo from Trump to do similar to prevent Ireland being a route to circumvent the ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

antodeco wrote: »
    The fact that flights aren't banned for Ireland and UK, does this mean we could have an influx of people coming to Ireland to get to the US, or will they stop anybody entering the US who was in another country beforehand?

I dont think its flights that are banned its people who are not Americans. Although flights will probably get cancelled from a lack of demand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

antodeco wrote: »

As far as I know, it's the citizens of the various countries that are banned from flying to the US.

See attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It's scary to think there are posters on this thread infecting their kids with their neuroses.

People need to kop themselves on.

Gotta admire your conviction anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Tom Hanks is going to isolate himself with wilson on an island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭amacca

So close everything?

How does the nation feed itself?

Severely limit access.... one person per household out after a certain amount of time. Skeleton crew in supermarket. You don't go in, they pass your order out to you. Rinse repeat. People take proper precautions.

Flatten the peak, give health service and those in danger a fighting chance.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's the citizens of the various countries that are banned from flying to the US.
    Not citizens; people who have been in those countries in the preceding 14 days. But US citizens and permanent residents are exempt from this rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Xi visits Wuhan.

Such reassuring imagery for the prisoners citizens

maxresdefault.jpg

1398122010550869719885854.jpg

amacca wrote: »
    Severely limit access.... one person per household out after a certain amount of time. Skeleton crew in supermarket. You don't go in, they pass your order out to you. Rinse repeat. People take proper precautions.

Flatten the peak, give health service and those in danger a fighting chance.

You don't go in, so you queue up outside??
    Longer queues form by Skeleton staff physically collecting for every order

Not very good distance control there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭greenfield21

One minute people are saying trump won't do anything because he's obsessed with the economy then when he does do something for benefit of the US he gets ridiculed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

One minute people are saying trump won't do anything because he's obsessed with the economy then when he does do something for benefit of the US he gets ridiculed anyway.

Like a lot you can't win no matter what ya do :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

khalessi wrote: »
    I am sitting here awake tears in my eyes reading this, cant sleep as my one of my kids is worried Im going to die. It was the last question I was asked last night before they fell asleep.The second last question was whether they would get it and die.

How do I reassure them?

What do you suggest Pseudonym?

This is heartbreaking
    Not a single person under the age of 10 has died from this virus, anywhere. Infected kids may have very mild symptoms or even none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I think I know the answer to this, but is Trump’s comment about the US outbreak being seeded by people from Europe based on fact or is it easier (and more economically sound) to blame Europe than China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭amacca

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You don't go in, so you queue up outside??
    Longer queues form by Skeleton staff physically collecting for every order

Not very good distance control there

For the smaller more cramped places......if/when it gets to that perhaps people to cop on and not crush against one another

Stagger shopping times so not all at once

It has to be better than a free for all

Wellm yeah. Because you don't get praised for doing anything at all, or for doing something chosen because it confirms your preconceptions; you get praised for doing something that will be effective.

Trump is clearly still trying to manage this to minimise political damage to himself and perhaps even to capitalise on it politically, not to address the real problem. You choose to behave like that, you gotta expect ridicule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Not surprising really.

Same with Varadkar, there's literally nothing he could do that some jumped up expert on Boards wouldn't castigate him for.

• Advertisement

Because what he has done is pretty much pointless!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement