Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

Not too sure if this has been posted already but first cruise liner due in Cobh Cork tomorrow with 700 passengers and 400 staff, I know it’s no different to planes landing at our airport but we won’t have enough ICU beds to treat our own, Ireland is making a monumental balls of this.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-cruise-sails-ahead-despite-covid-19-fears-987344.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Are flights from the US to Ireland going to be banned as well?
    No flights have been banned.

Flights may of course be cancelled, since so many travellers will be barred, or will choose not to travel, that the airlines are likely to consolidate the remaining travellers onto fewer flights. But from each flight from Ireland to the US there will be a corresponding flight from the US to Ireland. Otherwise we'd run out of planes very quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

On Dublin bus and some lad in his early 20s is constantly sniffing and the odd cough. kicker is he is sitting right beside me. Now he brought out some hand sanitizer.

... I'm fuc*ed lads :pac:
    If not this bloke the whole Dublin bus thing. I make a joke but ****ing hell lol.

Make your jokes

https://twitter.com/CovidIreland/status/1237759709169332225?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Well he got dumped from his Paddys day visit so I hope he feels like the fool he is.

Myself and others have been trying to get action from govt at airports since january. But hey the timings not right.

Let's all just die instead. 250 ICU beds people. Takes 3 weeks on a ventilator to get through this.

No he hasn`t. The bowl of shamrock ceremony has been cancelled. He will still be meeting Trump in the Oval Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭sudzs

On Dublin bus and some lad in his early 20s is constantly sniffing and the odd cough. kicker is he is sitting right beside me. Now he brought out some hand sanitizer.

If not this bloke the whole Dublin bus thing. I make a joke but ****ing hell lol.

Heard on BBC Radio 4 this morning that you should self isolate for 1 week if you have a cold. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

Absolutely! This is not the apocalypse. If you get it you’ve a 98% chance of recovery ffs!

Irish people talk a lot and are dramatic. It is all talk though, there is almost no real panic out in the real world........yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Nijmegen wrote: »

Oh, and Tom Hanks has the virus.

Oh Christ, not another Castaway film on the way....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Make your jokes
    ]

Just for clarity the make a joke comment is referring to my use of the :pac:
    I am on Dublin bus and they guy is beside me. Sniffing and coughing.

Wish my work would go work from home already. Each day I go in I have to use public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

No he hasn`t. The bowl of shamrock ceremony has been cancelled. He will still be meeting Trump in the Oval Office.

Trump doesnt give a fk about Varadkar. We all have bigger problems now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

sudzs wrote: »
    Heard on BBC Radio 4 this morning that you should self isolate for 1 week if you have a cold. :eek:

Sadly people don't give a bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fair play to Trump, no nonsense.

Meanwhile Varadkar is over in the USA like a big gob****e all smiles for the cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes heard on rte radio 1 the same. If people are showing respiratory symptoms- runny nose, cough etc they most likely have a head cold, but now should stay at home, gps will give them a note for work etc. Now that was just one GP, but still people are so terrified of catching this, I think it’s a wise decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

Absolutely! This is not the apocalypse. If you get it you’ve a 98% chance of recovery ffs!
    Maybe so....but of that 98% approx 14% will get very sick and require ICU & ventilator time. Not enough ICU or ventilators...what do you think will happen?

Of that 14% who recover, they will have long term damage to their lungs. China has had some lung transplants to survivors already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

ricero wrote: »

Meanwhile Varadkar is over in the USA like a big gob****e all smiles for the cameras.

The virus is already in the states. Trump is the one looking like a Gobsh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We’ve been on “be ready to work from home” notice for almost two weeks now but still no decision made. I wish they’d just make the call, if nothing else I’ve a pain in my face (and neck and shoulders) lugging my laptop, diary and all my notes in and out every day.

Public transport too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

screamer wrote: »
    US- too little too late unfortunately for them.
    It’s already there and going like wildfire.

Us here- we might still have some time, but hard decisions are hard to make. Our leaders are so far from leaders it’s frightening. We need strong directive leaders right now, unfortunately we have fence sitters and hand wringers. I absolutely despair, I hope someone can summon the sense and strength needed to take those decisions and give us a chance to not follow Italy into that dark night.

Agree on the US doing too little too late. But I wouldn’t say we are in a better position. Our healthcare system is one of the most vulnerable to saturation in Europe and we still don’t have any measure in place (even the initial stuff like closing schools). Within 2 or 3 weeks we’ll have people dying in hospitals due to lack of care and we’ll end up like Italy having to close down the whole country and having a much worse impact.

I find it raging at this stage as it is easy to see what’s coming but as you say our leaders just seem paralysed and unable to process the situation. There will be a before and an after Covid-19; and I think once this is behind us (it will eventually) our governance will be questioned (not just in Ireland).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That or they're in denial or quite simply they've families to feed and bills to pay. I know a couple of guys in that position, self employed/running businesses, where it can be stressful enough with normal downturns, but this appears to be starting to hit their revenue. They've no choice but to keep going, the bank won't delay their mortgage payments, the kids still need looking after and all the other life stuff. With a couple of them there's the it'll be grand, with a large side order of fatalism to things. 9 to 5 folks have even less wriggle room and choice unless their company decides to be proactive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Dial Hard wrote: »
    We’ve been on “be ready to work from home” notice for almost two weeks now but still no decision made. I wish they’d just make the call, if nothing else I’ve a pain in my face (and neck and shoulders) lugging my laptop, diary and all my notes in and out every day.

Public transport too.

Over 500 of hour staff (half) are now working from home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If not this bloke the whole Dublin bus thing. I make a joke but ****ing hell.

Get another way into work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Actually, this is nonsense. It will not prevent the spread of the virus to or within the US, just like the similar travel ban that the US has had in place with respect to China for some weeks has not prevented the spread of the virus to or within the US.

"No nonsense" would be properly funding and rolling out a testing programme, and building up a crisis ICU capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

For such a PR savvy premier I can't believe he is there. US has deployed national guard in areas. They couldn't give a **** about the special non relationship. Especially at this time. I think the optics look terrible and FG will loose a few more votes next time around.

Still it might spur real action. Now that it's obvious they got that wrong by going on the trip perhaps they'll do something headline grabbing to show he is in control and we'll all be grand. People saying schools to close tomorrow. Could have been thought out in advance.

I was fairly cynical at the election being called right after some young lads body parts found in a suitcase. Leo tolstoy and the rest wouldn't shut up about crime and punishment. Didn't work then. People still cared about health and housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Actually, this is nonsense. It will not prevent the spread of the virus to or within the US, just like the similar travel ban that the US has had in place with respect to China for some weeks has not prevented the spread of the virus to or within the US.

"No nonsense" would be properly funding and rolling out a testing programme, and building up a crisis ICU capacity.

It didnt and wont prevent the spread but it does buy some time, which I think is all that can be done at this stage. I hope its used wisely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

*Updated figures for today UK & Ireland . . .
    UK - NHS = 456
    IRL - HSE = 043
    Wednesday 11th March.

Yes indeed, I'm your official 'unofficial guide' to the daily UK & Ireland numbers ;)

You're my official unofficial head wreck too.
    Please stop with the self important highlighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Phil.x

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The ignorance in this post is strong.

This was from an orange president who previously called the virus a hoax, and who only days ago said it was nothing to worry about??

He also hasn't cancelled flights, he's banned people..... Actually he's banned "foreign nationals".... Because the virus is a "foreign virus"...

Talk about slamming the barn door shut after the horse has bolted.... But leaving the side door open all the same.

The man's an idiot, a dangerous idiot.... He could barely read from the prompter

I'll just state one fact and will not reply.

All our coronavirus cases have come from italy. This virus has no wings or legs so it didn't get here on its own.
    Oh yes the door has finally slammed shut thanks to the Italian government not leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Assuming you can be treated. When the beds full up, the death rate will go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭sudzs

The virus is already in the states. Trump is the one looking like a Gobsh1te.

They both look like gobshytes!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

School and college closures inevitable as talks start in bid to minimise fallout
    Plans over time off and exams for 900,000 children
    - Irish independent headline.
    Premium article so I don’t have access to content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There should be billboards public service broadcasts at every ad break

GoMo had them seemingly a few months ago so it can be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement