Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

trump sounds like hes caught some bug himself in that speech to the nation...was caught for breath a good few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know it's probably been addressed and discussed to death already.

But Trump is actually deranged!

Surely the electorate over there can see thru his BS?
    Blaming the EU for "seeding" the outbreak, when it's fairly well established the virus has been circulating in the US since January?

That really is a dick move, to take advantage of the optics.

How about addressing the lack of US testing capacity due to their fúcking up their process and going with a CDC developed test that turned out to be inaccurate rather than the WHO test?

1 million test kits were to be available, as of last week it was 78000.

Now on 1 point I actually do agree with him, however it's far too late for it make any difference.
    That is regarding the travel restrictions, international travel should have been curtailed some weeks ago IMO.
    Not to stop the virus, but to try and delay.

The US is looking for a scapegoat, the likely outcome of this is very, very bad for them.
    Particularly with a for profit health care system.

Trump is playing a dangerous game considering the cuts his administration have made to global health surveillance and pandemic protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Judging by traffic in Dublin, a lot of people have abandoned public transport. They’ve closed the south bore of the tunnel due to traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I`m getting more and more despondent by the day. Even for those who escape the worst effects of the virus the economic ****storm that is going to follow it is going to be absolutely horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dougm1970 wrote: »
    trump sounds like hes caught some bug himself in that speech to the nation...was caught for breath a good few times

That's his usual way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It didnt and wont prevent the spread but it does buy some time, which I think is all that can be done at this stage. I hope its used wisely
    With more than 1,000 diagnosed cases in the US (despite very low rates of testing) and major clusters in California, Washington, Massachussets and New York, I think the US is past the point where stopping some arrivals from Schengenland could make a material difference to the rate at which the disease continues to spread. Internal movement restrictions might buy some time, but I don't know how feasible that would be, politically, practically or legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Get another way into work?

Easier said than done for a huge number of people.

I have a car and could drive in but parking would cost me almost €40 a day. I can’t afford that on an indefinite basis.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    There's a collection ongoing for Brescia Hospital (from www.giornaledibrescia.it:

As of 6PM last night they had collected close to €5M!! No mean feat, especially considering there's no minimum wage in Italy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

On Dublin bus and some lad in his early 20s is constantly sniffing and the odd cough. kicker is he is sitting right beside me. Now he brought out some hand sanitizer.

... I'm fuc*ed lads :pac:
    If not this bloke the whole Dublin bus thing. I make a joke but ****ing hell.

He has a cold... You're fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

sydthebeat wrote: »

Hope so :p
    But what about the other 50+ people on this bus :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm in awe at your remote diagnosis abilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

dougm1970 wrote: »

Even if he has would he admit it publicly and make things even worse than they already are? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

David McCullogh on Prime Time the other night asked Harris about the logic of letting 3Arena concerts go ahead, 13,000 capacity.

And I see now a Broadway Usher has the virus after working in two theatres over 3 or 4 days. The show must go on says the producers. It’s all a bit mad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/theater/broadway-show-usher-coronavirus.html?0p19G=3248

It seems like once this is in the a country lockdown is the only way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Peregrinus wrote: »
    With more than 1,000 diagnosed cases in the US (despite very low rates of testing) and major clusters in California, Washington, Massachussets and New York, I think the US is past the point where stopping some arrivals from Schengenland could make a material difference to the rate at which the disease continues to spread. Internal movement restrictions might buy some time, but I don't know how feasible that would be, politically, practically or legally.

It would make sense if it was combined with containment measures within the country. But in isolation yes it is futile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,446 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Easier said than done for a huge number of people.

I have a car and could drive in but parking would cost me almost €40 a day. I can’t afford that on an indefinite basis.

Cycle?

https://mobile.twitter.com/fallon_donal/status/1233140608912568337

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

It comes down to the fact that Trump's a jingoistic xenophobe and that has played through all of his rhetoric in his presidency.

He went on TV to blame foreigners for the outbreak. It was a simple as that. He even referred to it as a "foreign virus" then went on a rant about the European Union for some reason.

Not only that but he made a hash of the statement by implying that it also applied to goods and did not mention the Schengen free travel area, rather just want on a rampage about the European Union and 'seeding' and all sorts of weird stuff.

He's managed to politicise the COVID19 mess in domestically in the US, provide little or no leadership, just fear of others and blaming the Democrats anytime he can.

To him this is all about the November election and settling scores.

He is quite literally the last person you would want to have in charge during a crisis like this. Anyone would be better! Even all of the previous GOP presidents would be leagues ahead of this guy.

It's been spin and 'make America great' claptrap without any serious help like making testing and hospital treatment available to people who need it.

I was talking to a friend of mine in the US who isn't all that well off and has dubious insurance cover and he basically reckons he's not going to survive this and is hiding in his house afraid to go outside on the basis that if he catches this he is pretty sure he will have no help at all. He was saying he can't afford to get tested, and even if he did get tested, he'd be potentially left with a huge bill for hospital anyway, so he's not going to even expose himself to that. Instead, like I would suspect many others, he's just going to hide.

Even if he developed symptoms, it's quite likely he wouldn't go near healthcare as there's a very large risk of an enormous bill.

So not only is the US not testing, but they will probably have a whole load of people who won't come forward even if they have it and there are even more who will turn up for work regardless of who sick they are, and they already do this with flu and other illnesses.

There's also huge variation from state to state depending on who's been in charge over the years. Some of the more developed / progressive states have a lot more systems in place than some of the more conservative ones that have either never had or have slashed and burned public programmes.

All Trump wants to do is create some fantasy nonsense about how the US is different, special, exceptional. When it comes to a virus of this type going pandemic, if it overwhelmed very developed healthcare systems in Europe, it has every ability to do precisely the same in the US, just generating enormous bills along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,446 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

From when the Spanish flu was at large in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Even if he has would he admit it publicly and make things even worse than they already are? I doubt it.

Just a couple of days ago Trump said Covid-19 is just like the flu, fake news and hoax to create chaos. Why this sudden change of heart?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I'm in awe at your remote diagnosis abilities.

Look up the symptoms of covid 19 and see how easy it was to diagnose from this remote

Edit :
    Just in case you don't know, see attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Absolutely! This is not the apocalypse. If you get it you’ve a 98% chance of recovery ffs!

The 80% mild to moderate includes people with pneumonia. That's classified as mild when breaking down this disease. I don't class that as mild.

Of the severe. They require mechanical ventilation. What is that actually? How does it work. A lot of people who go this route subsequently die from additional infection such as fungal and bacterial. Again I've no idea why.

The very worst get blood pumped out oxygen put in blood then back in.

Mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Judging by traffic in Dublin, a lot of people have abandoned public transport. They’ve closed the south bore of the tunnel due to traffic.

My bus was about 50% as full as yesterday. Seriously eerie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Xertz wrote: »
    It comes down to the fact that Trump's a jingoistic xenophobe and that has played through all of his rhetoric in his presidency.

All Western leaders have let their ideology drive their reaction.

Trumps starts with international travel restrictions and ignores local measures as that’s what his ideology tells him.

Most of Western European countries ignored the issue at first and are now (slowly) starting with local measures . But they are still refusing international travel restrictions because of the ideology of their leaders telling them free movement of people is more important than literally anything.

Reality is: to contain the epidemic you both need to slow contagion within a country AND to avoid importing new cases to that country (which a few Asian countries are doing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Volthar wrote: »
    Just a couple of days ago Trump said Covid-19 is just like the flu, fake news and hoax to create chaos. Why this sudden change of heart?
    The election in November and a feared risk of losing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

You're my official unofficial head wreck too.
    Please stop with the self important highlighting.

I read in a medical journal that the use of bold font slows the virus by a factor of 50. (not the suncream)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm sure a fair few Italian commuters thought the same thing!

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm sure a fair few Italian commuters thought the same thing!

If they had a running nose and the odd cough, then chances are they had a cold.

Educate yourself.

It could save you a lot of mental anguish in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Xertz wrote: »

He went on TV to blame foreigners for the outbreak. It was a simple as that. He even referred to it as a "foreign virus" then went on a rant about the European Union for some reason.

He didn't blame foreigners for the virus. If it wasn't a foreign virus then it would make no sense to ban flights into the country (unless he wanted to protect Europeans from returning with it). It's a bit late now I agree because it came into the US from Europe most likely just like we got it from Italy, not China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hubs was slated to go on a stag on the continent this weekend. He was thinking of cancelling today anyway because of my potentially immunocompromised status. We were going to ask my doctor for advice. Just as he was about to whatapps the group, the stag messaged and cancelled. I think the stag left it so late out of guilt for the money people will lose but sure it’s not his fault. I’m relieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    My bus was about 50% as full as yesterday. Seriously eerie.
    I honestly have noticed zero difference in my bus route rammed as always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bob24 wrote: »
    All Western leaders have let their ideology drive their reaction.

Trumps starts with international travel restrictions and ignores local measures as that’s what his ideology tells him.

Most of Europe ignored the issue first and is not starting local measures but still refusing international travel restrictions become if the ideology of their leaders.

Reality is: to contain the epidemic you both need to slow contagion within a country AND to avoid importing new cases (which a few Asian countries are doing).
    It will go past containment in pretty much most countries. The general overview of it at this stage, China & S Korea aside, is that it's flattening the curve is where efforts will mostly be focused. As Holohan said yesterday so much is unknown here. A microbiologist on MI made a point that a true number of infected will be very hard to determine as some could have been through it with little to no effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement