Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Bob24 wrote: »
    All Western leaders have let their ideology drive their reaction.

Trumps starts with international travel restrictions and ignores local measures as that’s what his ideology tells him.

Most of Western Europe ignored the issue first and is now slowly starting with local measures but still refusing international travel restrictions because of the ideology of their leaders telling them free movement of people is more important than literally anything.

Reality is: to contain the epidemic you both need to slow contagion within a country AND to avoid importing new cases to that country (which a few Asian countries are doing).

To be quite honest, I think nobody in Europe really understood the magnitude of what was about to happen. If you had told someone in Italy or anywhere else that there would be a crisis on that scale, you'd have been told you were deluded or paranoid.

It's an unprecedented disaster and it really has changed thinking a lot over the last few days, not even weeks.

It's not so much ideology in Europe as just unimaginable scale of impact of a disease. Nobody really has any experience dealing with a pandemic in modern times. We've all lived through some of the healthiest periods in human history, as have most of our parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

AllForIt wrote: »
    He didn't blame foreigners for the virus. If it wasn't a foreign virus then it would make no sense to ban flights into the country (unless he wanted to protect Europeans from returning with it). It's a bit late now I agree because it came into the US from Europe most likely just like we got it from Italy, not China.
    It came into the US from China. We know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,919 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Look up the symptoms of covid 19 and see how easy it was to diagnose from this remote

Edit :
    Just in case you don't know, see attached

Can we get that diagnosis chart stickied! Stat!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Has anyone any decent studies focused on case progression and symptom progression? Also, what home remedies are used to deal with mild symptoms inc " mild pnuemonia" if that is such a thing? or can someone point me to a good study 're same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Xertz wrote: »
    It comes down to the fact that Trump's a jingoistic xenophobe and that has played through all of his rhetoric in his presidency.

He went on TV to blame foreigners for the outbreak. It was a simple as that. He even referred to it as a "foreign virus" then went on a rant about the European Union for some reason.

Not only that but he made a hash of the statement by implying that it also applied to goods and did not mention the Schengen free travel area, rather just want on a rampage about the European Union and 'seeding' and all sorts of weird stuff.

He's managed to politicise the COVID19 mess in domestically in the US, provide little or no leadership, just fear of others and blaming the Democrats anytime he can.

To him this is all about the November election and settling scores.

He is quite literally the last person you would want to have in charge during a crisis like this. Anyone would be better! Even all of the previous GOP presidents would be leagues ahead of this guy.

It's been spin and 'make America great' claptrap without any serious help like making testing and hospital treatment available to people who need it.

I was talking to a friend of mine in the US who isn't all that well off and has dubious insurance cover and he basically reckons he's not going to survive this and is hiding in his house afraid to go outside on the basis that if he catches this he is pretty sure he will have no help at all. He was saying he can't afford to get tested, and even if he did get tested, he'd be potentially left with a huge bill for hospital anyway, so he's not going to even expose himself to that. Instead, like I would suspect many others, he's just going to hide.

Even if he developed symptoms, it's quite likely he wouldn't go near healthcare as there's a very large risk of an enormous bill.

So not only is the US not testing, but they will probably have a whole load of people who won't come forward even if they have it and there are even more who will turn up for work regardless of who sick they are, and they already do this with flu and other illnesses.

There's also huge variation from state to state depending on who's been in charge over the years. Some of the more developed / progressive states have a lot more systems in place than some of the more conservative ones that have either never had or have slashed and burned public programmes.

All Trump wants to do is create some fantasy nonsense about how the US is different, special, exceptional. When it comes to a virus of this type going pandemic, if it overwhelmed very developed healthcare systems in Europe, it has every ability to do precisely the same in the US, just generating enormous bills along the way.

Yawn, nobody cares about your Trump hating rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I read in a medical journal that the use of bold font slows the virus by a factor of 50. (not the suncream)

Wearing factor 50 also helps

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Yawn, nobody cares about your Trump hating rant.

Nor do I particularly care about your response either. So, let's just perhaps leave it that.

This is not about politics. It's about good leadership and he is entirely about domestic politics above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

To be quite honest, I think nobody in Europe really understood the magnitude of what was about to happen. If you had told someone in Italy or anywhere else that there would be a crisis on that scale, you'd have been told you were deluded or paranoid.

It's an unprecedented disaster and it really has changed thinking a lot over the last few days, not even weeks.

Your right of course. There are still posters on here who think this is nothing and it only affects old people and those with underlying illness. The rapid spread of this thing has caught everyone on the hop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did Trump just make Ireland and the UK the gateway to Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

laurah591 wrote: »
    Has anyone any decent studies focused on case progression and symptom progression? Also, what home remedies are used to deal with mild symptoms inc " mild pnuemonia" if that is such a thing? or can someone point me to a good study 're same
    Ring your GP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    It will go past containment in pretty much most countries. The general overview of it at this stage, China & S Korea aside, is that it's flattening the curve is where efforts will mostly be focused. As Holohan said yesterday so much is unknown here. A microbiologist on MI made a point that a true number of infected will be very hard to determine as some could have been through it with little to no effect.

I think the strategy of not testing people with symptoms etc will lead to real numbers never been known. They'll grow and grow and by that point it will be all green jerseys on deck and we will be struggling to treat it. Plausible deniability achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Ring your GP!

Lol was gonna do that anyways.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hubs was slated to go on a stag on the continent this weekend. He was thinking of cancelling today anyway because of my potentially immunocompromised status. We were going to ask my doctor for advice. Just as he was about to whatapps the group, the stag messaged and cancelled. I think the stag left it so late out of guilt for the money people will lose but sure it’s not his fault. I’m relieved.

You’re immunocompromised and he was *thinking* of not going.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

First sequence of SARSCoV2 Ireland
    Wonder which case they have chosen ?
    Easier to choose those with connections with Italy.
    Which Irish case was the one with no travel history ?
    One of the Cork cases ?

https://twitter.com/CillianDeGascun/status/1237851615647817733

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My bus is like a f#cking coffin ship...zero chance I am not getting this

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Your right of course. There are still posters on here who think this is nothing and it only affects old people and those with underlying illness. The rapid spread of this thing has caught everyone on the hop.
    The flu' and colds all spread quickly too with no panic, but they have medication that can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If they had a running nose and the odd cough, then chances are they had a cold.

Educate yourself.

It could save you a lot of mental anguish in the future.
    Or they are in the initial stages of Covid 19. The cough doesn't go from 0 to 100. It starts like any other cough!

Having a runny nose does not preclude one from having Covid 19.

Educate yourself.

We need more paranoia not more "sure it's probably grand" shīte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It's not so much ideology in Europe as just unimaginable scale of impact of a disease. Nobody really has any experience dealing with a pandemic in modern times. We've all lived through some of the healthiest periods in human history, as have most of our parents.

Remember that Italy came after China and South Korea though. As you said they were called paranoid, but there were people who understood what was coming. I even posted a podcast around 2 weeks ago of an interview with a doctor in late January whereby he pretty much exactly laid out what is happening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Boggles wrote: »
    Did Trump just make Ireland and the UK the gateway to Europe?

Will going though the UK and Ireland magically unschengen their passports?

laurah591 wrote: »
    Lol was gonna do that anyways.
    It's a bit more reliable than asking here!:)

• Advertisement

bekker wrote: »
    Ireland/UK not in free travel area (unrestricted movement) which includes Italy, Spain and France. Not a good political idea to single out adversely Italians or Spanish before US Presidential Election.
    Good political idea to single out adversely all Schengen countries before US Presidential Election ?
    In the US there are also people of German (and Dutch, Scandinavian...) descent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The 80% mild to moderate includes people with pneumonia. That's classified as mild when breaking down this disease. I don't class that as mild.

Of the severe. They require mechanical ventilation. What is that actually? How does it work. A lot of people who go this route subsequently die from additional infection such as fungal and bacterial. Again I've no idea why.

The very worst get blood pumped out oxygen put in blood then back in.

Mental.

What is your source on pneumonia cases being classed as a mild outcome?

otnomart wrote: »
    Good political idea to single out adversely all Schengen countries before US Presidential Election ?
    In the US there are also people of German (and Dutch, Scandinavian...) descent.
    A lot in the Midwest which he may lose anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

gmisk wrote: »
    My bus is like a f#cking coffin ship...zero chance I am not getting this

On yer bike!!!

I cycled for years to work around dublin, longest cycle was 8.5km there and 8.5km back, all weathers, just rain gear up and away you go.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Even cargo flights from Europe banned (!)
    Yep
    It's a trade measure - rather than a public health measure.

This thread, if anything, is showing me that Boards.ie is every bit as nasty as Twitter these days. No longer posting. Good luck with the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It will go past containment in pretty much most countries. The general overview of it at this stage, China & S Korea aside, is that it's flattening the curve is where efforts will mostly be focused. As Holohan said yesterday so much is unknown here. A microbiologist on MI made a point that a true number of infected will be very hard to determine as some could have been through it with little to no effect.

We will probably never know the true infection numbers, but we absolutely do need to contain it. Hospitals will just implode otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On yer bike!!!

I cycled for years to work around dublin, longest cycle was 8.5km there and 8.5km back, all weathers, just rain gear up and away you go.

Yeah that's pretty much the cycle I do daily.

Seemed daunting at first, but after a month it turned out to be easy and I almost wish it was a little longer now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

FutureGuy wrote: »
    You’re immunocompromised and he was *thinking* of not going.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Hold back on the judgement. You don’t know where in Europe he was going. I only cancelled a trip myself this morning. In Ireland but we have as much coronavirus as where he was going. And our lives have been severely curtailed for five years. Most of you are dealing with restrictions that we’ve had long-term. Mental health also important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I`m getting more and more despondent by the day. Even for those who escape the worst effects of the virus the economic ****storm that is going to follow it is going to be absolutely horrendous.

This is the most fascinating and most worrying part of it for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement