Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

gmisk wrote: »
    I honestly have noticed zero difference in my bus route rammed as always

Dart has had empty seats on carriages usually packed this week. There can be no doubt that the numbers traveling are down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

On yer bike!!!

I cycled for years to work around dublin, longest cycle was 8.5km there and 8.5km back, all weathers, just rain gear up and away you go.
    Your alright I fancy just getting corona over getting crushed under a lorry in Dublin ta.
    I have had two close friends have serious accents in last year, Dublin not safe for cyclists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah that's pretty much the cycle I do daily.

Seemed daunting at first, but after a month it turned out to be easy and I almost wish it was a little longer now!

Makes a lot of sense now when we have been used to seeing many Asian countrys opt to cycle in droves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

In a country where imbeciles are earning millions of dollars it is hard to do anything that involves thinking or responsibility:
    The Jazz’s Rudy Gobert touched every mic as a joke. Days later, he was diagnosed with coronavirus

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/coronavirus-nba-suspends-season-after-player-tests-positive.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxtxIVtOZE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bob24 wrote: »
    We will probably never know the true infection numbers, but we absolutely do need to contain it. Hospitals will just implode otherwise.
    That's the delay phase really, which we could well reach and in time we won't care how many once a vaccine/treatment appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Strazdas wrote: »
    Even cargo flights from Europe banned (!)
    No flights are banned. Cargo movements will be largely unaffected. The ban is a ban on travellers who (a) are not US citizens or permanent residents, and (b) have been in Schengenland in the previous 14 days.

gmisk wrote: »
    Your alright I fancy just getting corona over getting crushed under a lorry in Dublin ta.
    I have had two close friends have serious accents in last year, Dublin not safe for cyclists

Agreed, i never took for granted ever the behavior of any motorists and guarded myself accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

murphaph wrote: »

We need more paranoia not more "sure it's probably grand" shīte.

We do in my bollox.

There's lads on here sending their kids to bed crying because they have them thinking that everybody is going to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

lawred2 wrote: »
    What is your source on pneumonia cases being classed as a mild outcome?

Seen as though you asked nicely.... I'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dial Hard wrote: »
    We’ve been on “be ready to work from home” notice for almost two weeks now but still no decision made. I wish they’d just make the call, if nothing else I’ve a pain in my face (and neck and shoulders) lugging my laptop, diary and all my notes in and out every day.

Public transport too.

I hope ye get the word. I was so relieved when my hubs got the call yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Strazdas wrote: »
    A ban on US-Ireland travel would have been disastrous. There must be a huge number of business travellers, not just tourists.
    Are you comfortable with US tourists coming in?
    Knowing that the US is not testing enough and they had the virus since mid January ?

"it looks like the large majority of current cases in Washington State derive from a single introduction event.
    this introduction event was likely mid-Jan
    https://bedford.io/blog/ncov-cryptic-transmission/
    even if it wasn't WA1 that introduced the virus, this level of genetic diversity alongside frequent positive specimens argues for a sizable outbreak
    Knowing that transmission was initiated on Jan 15 allows to estimate the total number of infections that exist in this cluster today. Preliminary analysis puts this at 570 with an 90% uncertainty interval of between 80 and 1500 infections."

Austria cases are up 56 today to 302.

Seen as though you asked nicely.... I'll find it.

Thanks.

We do in my bollox.

There's lads on here sending their kids to bed crying because they have them thinking that everybody is going to die.

Rather than than sending them to bed dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a bit more reliable than asking here!:)

Thanks lol, I'm just paranoid and Docs not open til later and nope lol.... don't think online diagnosis from either my self studying or some online folk would be overly benifical.
    Either way, I think it's a good idea to have a wee stock of otc medications like paracetamol & Calpol for the kids although I don't really know if anything else would be beneficial ie Honey^Lemon or cough bottle etc. I'l check with Doc

It's mental that Cheltenham has gone ahead.

Rather than than sending them to bed dying.

Ah here... Is there even one case yet of a child fatality?

Ah here... Is there even one case yet of a child fatality?

Apologies, i was just being smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭rob316

7000 madrid fans in liverpool last night too, a place where thousands of Irish go weekly to support LFC. Braindead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

*Updated figures for today UK & Ireland . . .

UK - NHS = 456
    IRL - HSE = 043

Wednesday 11th March.

You're my official unofficial head wreck too.
    Please stop with the self important highlighting.

You want me to Stop posting the daily figure?
    Anyone else think I should stop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

rob316 wrote: »
    7000 madrid fans in liverpool last night too, a place where thousands of Irish go weekly to support LFC. Braindead
    I'd say that rain and sleet killed every living virus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I've been saying in the past 2 weeks that America, with Trump as its head is walking into the abyss.

1 - They had no workable testing system - all their test kits were faulty.

2 - until this week, they would not permit professional 3rd party firms to carry out tests.

3 - for many people in America a test will cost hundreds of dollars - even now.

4 - American community hospitals have not updated their protective gear including face masks for years (source washington post)

5 - Travel ban is pure political bullsh1t. It only restricts NON-Americans or those without a valid residency card. - Its as if he thinks the virus can differentiate between a yank and an Italian/German/Spanish person.

So if anyone thinks that Trump/America is doing a better job that here or many other country, I suggest you read some american media such as NYTimes / Washington post / Seattle Times

Of course if you think the sun shines out of trumps backside, you could read their version of the daily muck (daily mail) - the new york post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The 80% mild to moderate includes people with pneumonia. That's classified as mild when breaking down this disease. I don't class that as mild.

Of the severe. They require mechanical ventilation. What is that actually? How does it work. A lot of people who go this route subsequently die from additional infection such as fungal and bacterial. Again I've no idea why.

The very worst get blood pumped out oxygen put in blood then back in.

Mental.
    What is your source on pneumonia cases being classed as a mild outcome?

The authors of the Chinese CDC report divided the clinical manifestations of the disease by there severity:

Mild disease: non-pneumonia and mild pneumonia; this occurred in 81% of cases.
    Severe disease: dyspnea, respiratory frequency ≥ 30/min, blood oxygen saturation (SpO2) ≤ 93%, PaO2/FiO2 ratio [the ratio between the blood pressure of the oxygen (partial pressure of oxygen, PaO2) and the percentage of oxygen supplied (fraction of inspired oxygen, FiO2)] < 300, and/or lung infiltrates > 50% within 24 to 48 hours; this occurred in 14% of cases.
    Critical disease: respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction (MOD) or failure (MOF); this occurred in 5% of cases.[12]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/

The collective cognitive dissonance displayed here really is amazing. Chinese are profit hungry savages that put their children to work. /
    They shut down their economy to late. They implemented their own "everything is grand" strategy , included some funny grouping of cases.

Mild pneumonia doesn't pass muster. Relative to bad pneumonia yes. But seriously.

#we're ****ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

rob316 wrote: »

a few hundred Irish go to the matches and its every second week - lets just stop the exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

laurah591 wrote: »
    Thanks lol, I'm just paranoid and Docs not open til later and nope lol.... don't think online diagnosis from either my self studying or some online folk would be overly benifical.
    Either way, I think it's a good idea to have a wee stock of otc medications like paracetamol & Calpol for the kids although I don't really know if anything else would be beneficial ie Honey^Lemon or cough bottle etc. I'l check with Doc

There is other things going around also so not harm in having calpol and kids medicines since everyone is stock piling make sure you have them anyway.
    I got paralink and calpol as I was out of them anyway for the kids.
    I'm not stocking up on groceries there is no need even in Italy the supermarkets and chemists are still open. Same will apply here they won't close.
    So for the people who have bought 100 toilet rolls the supermarkets are only laughing the sales are up and they will just order more and laugh as they sell out.
    Pasta is another one selling fast and rice.
    I heard people are freezing milk and bread and they be the ones then that get cabin fever after a day and be out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Apologies, i was just being smart.

No child fatalities but they can catch this bug and we don't understand what sort of long term effects it will have on there little organs. Better to indicate the seriousness of the matter to the lil ones without causing anxiety (a difficult line to toe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Selfish ****ers shouldn't be allowed back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The only thing I'll say about Trump is at least he is in his own country.

Alas our Dear Leader is currently wandering around Washington with a bowl of weeds desperately vying for a photo Op.

He is some fúcking plonker.

• Advertisement

The authors of the Chinese CDC report divided the clinical manifestations of the disease by there severity:

Mild disease: non-pneumonia and mild pneumonia; this occurred in 81% of cases.
    Severe disease: dyspnea, respiratory frequency ≥ 30/min, blood oxygen saturation (SpO2) ≤ 93%, PaO2/FiO2 ratio [the ratio between the blood pressure of the oxygen (partial pressure of oxygen, PaO2) and the percentage of oxygen supplied (fraction of inspired oxygen, FiO2)] < 300, and/or lung infiltrates > 50% within 24 to 48 hours; this occurred in 14% of cases.
    Critical disease: respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction (MOD) or failure (MOF); this occurred in 5% of cases.[12]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/

The collective cognitive dissonance displayed here really is amazing. Chinese are profit hungry savages that put their children to work. /
    They shut down their economy to late. They implemented their own "everything is grand" strategy , included some funny grouping of cases.

Mild pneumonia doesn't pass muster. Relative to bad pneumonia yes. But seriously.

#we're ****ed

?

81% of cases resulted in some form of pneumonia?

That's bollocks.

That must be a subset of the wider set of cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement