Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

owlbethere wrote: »
    Would this be any where online to listen to

It was on Today With Sean O'Rourke yesterday (11th March) so it should be somewhere on the RTE Player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not comfortable with Ireland being left open to travel to the US. We have inadvertently become a transit point for the rest of the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Boggles wrote: »
    The only thing I'll say about Trump is at least he is in his own country.

Alas our Dear Leader is currently wandering around Washington with a bowl of weeds desperately vying for a photo Op.

He is some fúcking plonker.

This is definitely one time where he should have just stayed at home. But Leo is only interested in what comes after Leinster house really.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

laurah591 wrote: »
    No child fatalities but they can catch this bug and we don't understand what sort of long term effects it will have on there little organs. Better to indicate the seriousness of the matter to the lil ones without causing anxiety (a difficult line to toe)

There is a video circulating like a cartoon to explain to children about the virus. I don't have the news on in front of my kids but they hear it in achool the 8 year old said my teachers told us no 0-9 year olds have died so we're ok.
    I dunno why he told them that maybe another child asked him.
    Then she came home and asked me how old are you mom.
    They are hearing it around the place.
    I took them to the chemist and the woman behind the counter scare mongering people saying we need to be prepared and my kids listening.
    Can't avoid it.
    So I just told them we just have to be more careful with hand washing etc I said we should always be careful anyway but not to a point of scaring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Not comfortable with Ireland being left open to travel to the US. We have inadvertently become a transit point for the rest of the EU.
    How many people do you imagine are travelling anywhere at present?

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    How many people do you imagine are travelling anywhere at present?

Dublin airport is near empty according to reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Peregrinus wrote: »
    No flights are banned. Cargo movements will be largely unaffected. The ban is a ban on travellers who (a) are not US citizens or permanent residents, and (b) have been in Schengenland in the previous 14 days.

"also issued a tweet stating that trade of goods between the US and Europe would not be halted after saying the exact opposite in his speech, when he said the ban "will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo but various other things."

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-scrambles-to-clarify-details-on-coronavirus-response-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

silver2020 wrote: »
    I've been saying in the past 2 weeks that America, with Trump as its head is walking into the abyss.

1 - They had no workable testing system - all their test kits were faulty.

2 - until this week, they would not permit professional 3rd party firms to carry out tests.

3 - for many people in America a test will cost hundreds of dollars - even now.

4 - American community hospitals have not updated their protective gear including face masks for years (source washington post)

5 - Travel ban is pure political bullsh1t. It only restricts NON-Americans or those without a valid residency card. - Its as if he thinks the virus can differentiate between a yank and an Italian/German/Spanish person.

So if anyone thinks that Trump/America is doing a better job that here or many other country, I suggest you read some american media such as NYTimes / Washington post / Seattle Times

Of course if you think the sun shines out of trumps backside, you could read their version of the daily muck (daily mail) - the new york post.

The so called land of freedom and opportunity.
    Free from rationale me thinks.

This thing is going to give countries an opportunity to have a good look at their facilities and will definitely humble a lot of people.

Metaphorically speaking Its basically like an out break of war on a global scale, without any one fighting each other, but more or less we're being attacked on a molecular level.

But in another way we're all potentially in a position to harm each other unintentionally.

Philosophically its the perfect sh1t storm, and the safest way out is to just go lone wolf for a few weeks at least.

Myself im thinking if im laid off for a few weeks, I'll go fishing off remote beaches and outcrops which I've always was thinking of fishing etc

Walk headlands and inlets etc, filling up with diesel and bought the essentials so luckily I can attempt to make hay while its pissing rain.

otnomart wrote: »
    "also issued a tweet stating that trade of goods between the US and Europe would not be halted after saying the exact opposite in his speech, when he said the ban "will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo but various other things."

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-scrambles-to-clarify-details-on-coronavirus-response-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

He probably classifies brown people as 'other things'

lawred2 wrote: »
    Family members travelling to Europe tomorrow, one already there and went out on an almost empty flight earlier in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This is definitely one time where he should have just stayed at home. But Leo is only interested in what comes after Leinster house really.

The annual White House shamrock handover has been cancelled

He is over there for literally no reason, putting himself and his aides at risk.

That's even before you consider as leader of our country he should be in his country coordinating the little matter of the deadly pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Disgraceful airlines won't cancel flights due to not loosing money.

Very irresponsible.

Screenshot-20200312-085110-Telegram.jpg

What's the about?
    And is it from a reputable source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Whatever about leaking where someone is in the country. Posting orders to a website is a fairly serious offence.

I know you are trying to help / forewarn. Don't get yourself in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Did you take that photo yourself? Looks shopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

There is other things going around also so not harm in having calpol and kids medicines since everyone is stock piling make sure you have them anyway.
    I got paralink and calpol as I was out of them anyway for the kids.
    I'm not stocking up on groceries there is no need even in Italy the supermarkets and chemists are still open. Same will apply here they won't close.
    So for the people who have bought 100 toilet rolls the supermarkets are only laughing the sales are up and they will just order more and laugh as they sell out.
    Pasta is another one selling fast and rice.
    I heard people are freezing milk and bread and they be the ones then that get cabin fever after a day and be out and about.

Yeah not stocking up on toilet roll, but i picked 3 little hand sanitisers a month ago and think I will pick up some paralink. have Calpol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Very irresponsible.

Aer Lingus cancelled my outbound flight to Milan 2 weeks ago.

Ryanair finally cancelled the return flight yesterday after they made several flight time changes.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

What's the about?
    And is it from a reputable source?

Two family members in the Curragh. There is other information that I am not going to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

The Before Covid stage is ending in Ireland. I think the arguing is done. It’s going to be a difficult month.

Very irresponsible.
    Airlines employ people who need to feed families so not just a cost to them. They also have suppliers who have employees and they in turn etc . As seductive as the sledgehammer approach is, a more controlled form of management is the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,372 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It came into the US from China. We know this.
    But we also know that the biggest outbreak outside of Asia has been Italy, that is just going from bad to worse.
    And Italy has borders with numerous other Schengen countries
    So would it not make sense to ban travel from those locations.
    But because Trump did it it's a crazy move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I was supposed to fly to France today and back next week. Not very keen to travel in these circumstances and to risk getting stuck into a lockdown there :-s

• Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ChikiChiki wrote: »

No we won't.
    Anyone (non US citizen) coming from a shengen area in the previous 14 days won't be allowed travel to the US

But we also know that the biggest outbreak outside of Asia has been Italy, that is just going from bad to worse.
    And Italy has borders with numerous other Schengen countries
    So would it not make sense to ban travel from those locations.
    But because Trump did it it's a crazy move.

Where's the China travel ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

It's mental that Cheltenham has gone ahead.

I say keep them in there, lock the gates for 2 weeks. Keep the horse races going everyday. Let them run out of money from betting, see how enjoyable it is then. Its not a sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Very irresponsible.

Thought airlines didn't cancel flights as they would have lost their airport slot. This rule is or has been recently lifted recently though to allow them to cancel flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

The only thing I'll say about Trump is at least he is in his own country.

Alas our Dear Leader is currently wandering around Washington with a bowl of weeds desperately vying for a photo Op.

He is some fúcking plonker.

That trip should have been cancelled, he should be back here announcing progression to phase 2 of this thing. Rediculous. When is he back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

?

81% of cases resulted in some form of pneumonia?

That's bollocks.

That must be a subset of the wider set of cases.

Non pneumonia is included.

Where's the China travel ban?
    In China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The annual White House shamrock handover has been cancelled

He is over there for literally no reason, putting himself and his aides at risk.

That's even before you consider as leader of our country he should be in his country coordinating the little matter of the deadly pandemic.

And as a doctor he should have some insight into infection control and risk assessment.
    An idiotic fool gone over there to have his photo taken with pelossi.trump wouldn’t give him the time of day.
    He deserves to be slated for travelling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement