Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

laurah591 wrote: »
    That trip should have been cancelled, he should be back here announcing progression to phase 2 of this thing. Rediculous. When is he back?

I hope he’s quarantined out there for months

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

There is a video circulating like a cartoon to explain to children about the virus. I don't have the news on in front of my kids but they hear it in achool the 8 year old said my teachers told us no 0-9 year olds have died so we're ok.
    I dunno why he told them that maybe another child asked him.
    Then she came home and asked me how old are you mom.
    They are hearing it around the place.
    I took them to the chemist and the woman behind the counter scare mongering people saying we need to be prepared and my kids listening.
    Can't avoid it.
    So I just told them we just have to be more careful with hand washing etc I said we should always be careful anyway but not to a point of scaring them.

Look the same, my lil lad was asking how old Nanny. But better to talk in an honest way without causing anxiety. All you can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No we won't.
    Anyone (non US citizen) coming from a shengen area in the previous 14 days won't be allowed travel to the US

Except those non us citizens with permanent residency and their immediate families

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

OK so likely that next Irish cases will come from:
    UK and US
    Irish tourists back from Spain - where the virus was circulating earlier (see first death in Valencia on 13 Feb) - and other tourist hotspots (Prague, Budapest...)
    Irish business people back from Germany, Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Those of you who know this stuff: most disinfectant wipes (The usual supermarket brands) are anti-bacterial. Do they have any or much effect on COVID-19 droplets, as they’re viral?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Whatever about leaking where someone is in the country. Posting orders to a website is a fairly serious offence.

I know you are trying to help / forewarn. Don't get yourself in trouble.

Particularly when there is a unique identifier on the top right of said orders ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Except those non us citizens with permanent residency and their immediate families

Yeah, I couldn't be bothered typing all that out for the amount of people it applies to that will read this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And as a doctor he should have some insight into infection control and risk assessment.
    An idiotic fool gone over there to have his photo taken with pelossi.trump wouldn’t give him the time of day.
    He deserves to be slated for travelling.
    People still need to see that life is going on and that we are not China or Italy. Yeah, it's a photo op but an important one and a sign that the world is still functioning, At a guess one would say he's been tested and has been found negative, As a doctor he'd observe hygiene protocols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

grazer wrote: »
    Those of you who know this stuff: most disinfectant wipes (The usual supermarket brands) are anti-bacterial. Do they have any or much effect on COVID-19 droplets, as they’re viral?

They need to have a very strong concentration of alcohol to be effective but they’re better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Aer Lingus cancelled my outbound flight to Milan 2 weeks ago.

Ryanair finally cancelled the return flight yesterday after they made several flight time changes.

Yeah only Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Death rate on closed cases rises to 6.35%
    People in critical condition drops to 11%
    I can see a correlation there

Whatever about leaking where someone is in the country. Posting orders to a website is a fairly serious offence.

I know you are trying to help / forewarn. Don't get yourself in trouble.
    Indeed but it's not a surprise at all. All of that Bí Ullamh and contingency planning.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Family members travelling to Europe tomorrow, one already there and went out on an almost empty flight earlier in the week.

Well that's a positive, still international travel in and out should be curtailed given the nature of this bug. Outside repatriation type of activities. This bug is infecting over 100 countries globally - halting flights is a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mic 1972 wrote: »

Correlation is not causation.

Mild suspected cases are not being tested, the numbers are skewed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Boggles wrote: »
    The annual White House shamrock handover has been cancelled

He is over there for literally no reason, putting himself and his aides at risk.

That's even before you consider as leader of our country he should be in his country coordinating the little matter of the deadly pandemic.

I always had an idea that our leader is self lead rather than a leader.

More than likely he'll be in the Whitehouse and say something like I feel as if im on a scene from some disaster movie or something like that.

Leo you should have stayed at home and lead us out of this rather than turn your back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I say keep them in there, lock the gates for 2 weeks. Keep the horse races going everyday. Let them run out of money from betting, see how enjoyable it is then. Its not a sport

Many have already returned home with zero quarantine after a positive confirmed case in the town of Cheltenham and have been going about their day as usual. Expect a spike in new cases from these people and any who have been in contact with them very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We do in my bollox.

There's lads on here sending their kids to bed crying because they have them thinking that everybody is going to die.
    I tried encouraging my son to wash his hands properly. It didn't work, so I told him the truth that he could get infected and kill his grandparents. He washes his hands properly now. We're (or we should be) beyond sugar coating this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

You need a sample of several million cases before accurate 'rates' can be seen really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

ah jaysus!!!

Wake up to all flights from EU blocked to USA ... and Tom Hanks!!! WTF!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ah jaysus!!!

On the plus side, he can star as himself when they eventually make a movie out of this.

• Advertisement

laurah591 wrote: »
    Well that's a positive, still international travel in and out should be curtailed given the nature of this bug. Outside repatriation type of activities. This bug is infecting over 100 countries globally - halting flights is a good idea
    It's only individual countries that can do that unless airlines cancel themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

No wonder why Turkey have only one case reported so far. They took action very quickly. Suspended flights to Iran, China, South Korea and Italy weeks ago. closed the land border with Iran. I flew in to Istanbul with Turkish airlines last night . The plane goes through disinfection before each flight. All passengers were asked to fill out a form about their destination and contact info. There were cleaning all over the place in the airport at midnight. They have installed hand sanitisers ever few meters. I only saw 1 at Dublin Airport T1 which was very well hidden past security. I am worried that Ireland is not taking the necessary actions in timely manner

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

ah jaysus!!!

Sh*t getting realler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Panrich wrote: »
    Non pneumonia is included.

well then it's impossible to make any sense of those figures. Utterly meaningless,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

murphaph wrote: »
    I tried encouraging my son to wash his hands properly. It didn't work, so I told him the truth that he could get infected and kill his grandparents.

I hope for your kids sake you're just a wind-up merchant.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I was supposed to fly to France today and back next week. Not very keen to travel in these circumstances and to risk getting stuck into a lockdown there :-s

Don't fly if you haven't already made that decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Correlation is not causation.

Mild suspected cases are not being tested, the numbers are skewed.

I've already tried...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

One Aer Lingus cabin crew has it and anyone from their team is in isolation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

You think most people in critical condition are dying ?
    lack of beds ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

lawred2 wrote: »
    ?

81% of cases resulted in some form of pneumonia?

That's bollocks.

That must be a subset of the wider set of cases.

That's not what "Mild disease: non-pneumonia and mild pneumonia; this occurred in 81% of cases." means at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement