Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

don't be silly, have you seen the size of the lidl distribution center in charleville ?The shops that have plenty of stock can't keep it on the shelves it's selling so fast. Anything with a long shelf life. People have rooms full of food in their houses

People don't have rooms full of food. Do you mean a kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Graham wrote: »
    Big clue will be a passport issued by a Schengen country.

I expect holders of such passports will be asked to show bank transactions etc.

There's also the threat of deportation and a ban from future US travel for anyone that does manage to sneak through.
    I honestly think that this policy is ineffective and won’t be heavily enforced. I think it’s just policial optics to make it look like trump is doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

pad199207 wrote: »

Brilliant. We will all be even more crushed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Tomrota wrote: »
    I honestly think that this policy is ineffective and won’t be heavily enforced. I think it’s just policial optics to make it look like trump is doing something.

It will decimate EU - US traffic which in itself can only be a good thing in the context of reducing spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Do you think it’s fair that an elderly woman has died because some Instagram attention w***e wanted photos of himself/herself on the slopes. Then flies back to Ireland knowing there was a chance he/she is carrying the virus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Some people love the drama!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Tomrota wrote: »
    And how will they know they are coming from Schengen? You don’t get your passport stamped within the EU.

1. They will ask about this. Not all passengers are prepared to lie outright.

2. Do you have a machine-readable passport? Was it scanned the last time you enterered or left a Schengen country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I was in supervalu in firhouse last night and the only things they didnt have were pasta and bog roll.

I don't understand the thing about bog roll though. You're not going to **** yourself to death if you get this.

If you're a couple who usually work in an office all week, and you have to self-isolate for 2 weeks \ work from home for 2 weeks, you're going to need a lot more andrex than usual...

Also, diarrhoea is a symptom in 5%-10% of cases.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

To all the hindsight crowd, we have had benefit of hindsight for a number of weeks now from what went on in China and still we did nothing
    Will not be acceptable as an excuse in the future
    Cheltenham attendees would be well advised to scrub their social media, they won’t be forgiven either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

I was in supervalu in firhouse last night and the only things they didnt have were pasta and bog roll.

I don't understand the thing about bog roll though. You're not going to **** yourself to death if you get this.

Speak for yourself but if there are any survivors in the new world to discover my body, I can at least rest assured that they will know I wiped my hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Won't shops still be open too, even if we go into a proper lockdown?

It's not like you'll never get access to food again.

I suppose the fear is if you get it and have to self-isolate, I guess? Still seems extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

No a pantry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think the original worry over loo roll shortage related to Venezuela. When that country started to go into meltdown, there was a huge shortage of loo rolls.

For some reason this registered with the Irish public.

It would be great if supermarkets brought in quotas for shoppers, one toilet roll package per person, etc. This would help ease panic and hysteria in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why are people buying so much toilet roll? It seems to be the only think some people are buying. I don't get it.

It's incredible. But with the snow; it was bread from some reason. Humans really are mindless dopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

namloc1980 wrote: »
    3 weeks ago Italy had 3 cases. 3. You can't say everybody know what would happen. That's just revisionist BS.

your post is bull****,

we knew from china what would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I think the original worry over loo roll shortage related to Venezuela. When that country started to go into meltdown, there was a huge shortage of loo rolls.

It would be great if supermarkets brought in quotas for shoppers, one toilet roll package per person, etc. This would help ease panic and hysteria in general.

I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you're a couple who usually work in an office all week, and you have to self-isolate for 2 weeks \ work from home for 2 weeks, you're going to need a lot more andrex than usual...

Also, diarrhoea is a symptom in 5%-10% of cases.

Thats not reason enough. Its totally irrational. Its what panic causes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

don't be silly, have you seen the size of the lidl distribution center in charleville ?The shops that have plenty of stock can't keep it on the shelves it's selling so fast. Anything with a long shelf life. People have rooms full of food in their houses
    That's not how shops works. They place orders based on sales and current stock levels and they have limited storage capacity individually. The size of the centre has nothing to do with it except for allowing a quick restock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

there is no room left in their kitchens, people have any extra space in their house, a spare room if available filled with pasta, rice, tinned foods,toilet rolls etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭josip

murphaph wrote: »
    I tried encouraging my son to wash his hands properly. It didn't work, so I told him the truth that he could get infected and kill his grandparents. He washes his hands properly now. We're (or we should be) beyond sugar coating this thing.

Be very careful with that murphaph.
    If his grandparents die, he will blame himself.
    Speaking from experience, I killed my own grandmother when I was 8.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Boggles wrote: »
    Doors are automatic.

She was a witch.

Meant to say the toilet door, you know the toilets up the other end, my bad lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Graham wrote: »
    Big clue will be a passport issued by a Schengen country.

I expect holders of such passports will be asked to show bank transactions etc.

There's also the threat of deportation and a ban from future US travel for anyone that does manage to sneak through.

They know where you've been, no stamp required. Do people really not know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Knex. wrote: »

Yes. There is no need to panic over food shopping, especially younger people. If you know an older person struggling to buy food and other essentials, maybe think of helping them out at a time like this. Many might opt for self isolation which makes shopping difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Knex. wrote: »

I suppose the fear is if you get it and have to self-isolate, I guess? Still seems extreme.

Assuming the shops are kept stocked up. There's a very well oiled chain in supply but if one link breaks, you have problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's not how shops works. They place orders based on sales and current stock levels and they have limited storage capacity individually. The size of the centre has nothing to do with it except for allowing a quick restock.

everyone in those companies is currently on overtime trying to get stock out asap

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Bob24 wrote: »
    Many people were warning about it though. Not only it was predictable looking at the theory (some people did as early as January), but we had China and Korea in front of us as practical exemples.

And even now with Italy as another exemple, we are not reacting here.

I think south korea are getting a handle on it. Significantly more contact with China and starting to get a hold on the spread.

Death rate in south korea is less than 1% and numbers with serious case is now less than 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Listened to Sam Harris's podcast in this.
    Thought it was very good.

He talks about the evidence FOR closing schools (despite economic fears) and says he himself has taken every precaution he can such as cancelling talks, taking his kids out of school (and felt like a fool for doing so when nobody else was doing so).

For a hyper-rational guy, that says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Considering 24% of the Irish Population voted for the Venezuelan governments/dictatorship biggest fans, it's not surprising that they are taking precautions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I went into Dunnes and it was nearly all gone and I felt the urge to grab a little more than usual only because of this. So my theory is that every one is taking it not because they want to hog it but because they think everyone else will take it and they'll have none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

piplip87 wrote: »
    Considering 24% of the Irish Population voted for the Venezuelan governments/dictatorship biggest fans, it's not surprising that they are taking precautions.

could we leave out political point scoring?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement