Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Listened to Sam Harris's podcast in this.
    Thought it was very good.

He talks about the evidence FOR closing schools (despite economic fears) and says he himself has taken every precaution he can such as cancelling talks, taking his kids out of school (and felt like a fool for doing so when nobody else was doing so).

For a hyper-rational guy, that says a lot.

Sounds like a fear mongerer who's just waiting for one of them days when they were right, and if they weren't, sure they were being cautious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Get Real wrote: »
    Going on a ski trip in February, when there was 3 cases?

I presume you haven't been outdoors/ met any other person since we've had three cases here, based on your logic?

For the whole of February there was 3 cases, I think you're wrong there.
    What about the people who knowingly went skiing and there was more than 3 cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

there is no room left in their kitchens, people have any extra space in their house, a spare room if available filled with pasta, rice, tinned foods,toilet rolls etc.

Nobody is doing this. This is your imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Scotty # wrote: »
    on a more serious note, I spoke with someone last night who went to EIGHT different shops before they found baby formula (and promptly cleaned that shop out of it).

Yikes. That's a scary thought, is our formula produces in Ireland as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Cody montana

piplip87 wrote: »
    Considering 24% of the Irish Population voted for the Venezuelan governments/dictatorship biggest fans, it's not surprising that they are taking precautions.

Oh shut up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

everyone in those companies is currently on overtime trying to get stock out asap
    But shops will still run out of it because of the lunatic public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I am seeing conflicting reports of the infectiousness of this, some say it's less contagious then flu (WHO have an official report on this) others say it's much more ???

Which is it ?

or is it all a bit of guesswork at this stage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

onedmc wrote: »
    I think south korea are getting a handle on it. Significantly more contact with China and starting to get a hold on the spread.

Death rate in south korea is less than 1% and numbers with serious case is now less than 50.

The likely reason for the low death rate is two fold - younger population than Italy and they flattened the curve early meaning more resources for the really sick.

Italy was hit by the perfect storm with CV with their age profile.

I actually thought this thread couldn't get any worse than yesterday.

Its just everyone arguing about ****e. No updates, no interesting points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

In two years time when your aunt is still giving you bags of pasta for your birthday you will agree with me.

• Advertisement

In two years time when your aunt is still giving you bags of pasta for your birthday you will agree with me.

Ok. Bye.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I am seeing conflicting reports of the infectiousness of this, some say it's less contagious then flu (WHO have an official report on this) others say it's much more ???

Which is it ?

Context clues; football leagues don’t shut down cause of the flu ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you're a couple who usually work in an office all week, and you have to self-isolate for 2 weeks \ work from home for 2 weeks, you're going to need a lot more andrex than usual...

Also, diarrhoea is a symptom in 5%-10% of cases.

It's true. But if you're starving and looking at a mountain of loo paper stocked in the corner somewhere, it ain't going to butter my parsnips, so to speak. Food and water are the first considerations. But seriously we're not in zombie apocalypse territory here, this hoarding is an overreaction. By all means get extra bits and bobs, but if you are doing proper survival, off grid stuff, there are hundreds of things you need.

Also supplies should be rationed, no one should be able to buy 20 bottles of soap, or 20 boxes of pasta....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

lawred2 wrote: »
    Ah here... Is there even one case yet of a child fatality?
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

The likely reason for the low death rate is two fold - younger population than Italy and they flattened the curve early meaning more resources for the really sick.

Italy was hit by the perfect storm with CV with their age profile.
    Im also convinced this was in Italy from nearly day 1 when it was in China.

Which is it ?

If you ask Holohan he would say yes as would others. Mitigation is the way forward via the health advice.

It's so busy aswell ... getting like reddit, unable to follow as there must be about 5 posts a second ... so nothing gets answered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

First deaths in Greece and Algeria.
    100 more cases in Demark this morning,after over 300 new cases yesterday, growing very quickly there, can see why they locked the country down.

Most of the updates come later. Denmark now up 100 to over 600 cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Pistachio19

Why are people buying so much toilet roll? It seems to be the only think some people are buying. I don't get it.

Id advise you to go out today and make sure you get it! Or you could be left using dock leaves in a couple of weeks :D

If someone had started bulk buying cheese and others saw them and felt they should do the same and so on ... then we'd all be buying cheese. Apparently it's not because we desperately need it but I saw on tv last week that it's psychological - we see others buy it so we now think we need it too. We cannot control what's going on in the world so we need to assert some control where we can and for now, that's buying loo roll and pasta. I might bulk buy butter today, see how quick people are to empty the shelves of that in a weeks time. It's madness but I have to say yesterday I did feel a sense of panic that we wouldn't have enough food - felt I needed to take control of the situation and go to the local super valu and clear the shelves. I calmed down after a few minute, it was too windy to go out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

wylo wrote: »
    Im also convinced this was in Italy from nearly day 1 when it was in China.

Some reports that Italy had a large spike in cases of pneumonia in December, which were treated only as that... seems like that these were early cases of Covid

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Really? I'm in my home office and, right behind me is plenty of food.

All non-perishables. No biggie. Just being smart because if we go into lockdown , I don't want to be queueing for 3 hours outside Dunnes when a far larger portion of teh population will be sick with it.

That means I have less chance to catch it and less chance to pass it to my dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

your post is bull****,

we knew from china what would happen.

Do explain... Specifically how you knew where outbreaks would happen and then cluster

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Gettin meself one of these for a trip to Dunnes later. :pac:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1237715215946571777

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

How many cases have we here now?
    I cannot recall the first reported case.

But Inagh and Ennistymon haven't recorded any case since that family got it,.

So hopefully something is being done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ah relax. Its a discussion on all things CV related.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Sounds like a fear mongerer who's just waiting for one of them days when they were right, and if they weren't, sure they were being cautious.
    Would have much preferred to be wrong and a fool now in terms of precautions and prepping. We must do what we can to protect the old and vulnerable

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

All the joking and laughing will be stopped in about a week and the attendtion will turn to "why didn't we buy a bit more food so I don't have to go outside"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Id advise you to go out today and make sure you get it! Or you could be left using dock leaves in a couple of weeks :D

If someone had started bulk buying cheese and others saw them and felt they should do the same and so on ... then we'd all be buying cheese. Apparently it's not because we desperately need it but I saw on tv last week that it's psychological - we see others buy it so we now think we need it too. We cannot control what's going on in the world so we need to assert some control where we can and for now, that's buying loo roll and pasta. I might bulk buy butter today, see how quick people are to empty the shelves of that in a weeks time. It's madness but I have to say yesterday I did feel a sense of panic that we wouldn't have enough food - felt I needed to take control of the situation and go to the local super valu and clear the shelves. I calmed down after a few minute, it was too windy to go out anyway.

I'll be getting plenty of it. But only because of the amount of idiots who are going to reduce the stock considerably. If things keep going the way they are going with it then when sensible people go to buy it as normal in their weekly shop they won't have a hope of getting any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement