Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

mloc123 wrote: »
    Some reports that Italy had a large spike in cases of pneumonia in December, which were treated only as that... seems like that these were early cases of Covid

Sounds like a similar situation to Wuhan. Italy are a few weeks behind China in putting in place the necessary measures and it looks like the infection was taking hold in both areas at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The virus is already in the states. Trump is the one looking like a Gobsh1te.

Treat your cases. Stop bringing in more. Makes sense.

Open borders in Europe yet differing government policies in different countries make containment impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭banie01

laurah591 wrote: »
    Yikes. That's a scary thought, is our formula produces in Ireland as a matter of interest?

There is a baby formula facility in Askeaton.

Wyeth produce SMA, promil, S26 and illuma there for worldwide markets.
    I don't know if other formula producers have any Irish facilities but tbh.
    If panic buying is knocked on the head, supply chains are resilient and there will be no shortages as it is quite a predictable demand for Formula and Nappies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

onedmc wrote: »
    I think south korea are getting a handle on it. Significantly more contact with China and starting to get a hold on the spread.

Death rate in south korea is less than 1% and numbers with serious case is now less than 50.

Yes agree, they are doing what it takes.

My point was that it is incorrect to say it was impossible to know what was coming for Italy. As China and Korea before it showed us how quickly the virus can spread without strong measures in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

namloc1980 wrote: »
    3 weeks ago Italy had 3 cases. 3. You can't say everybody know what would happen. That's just revisionist BS.

There were people over and back to Italy last week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Some reports that Italy had a large spike in cases of pneumonia in December, which were treated only as that... seems like that these were early cases of Covid

Quite possibly. You can be sure there are scientists mapping this thing out by the hour. Eventually in a few months, probably years, the tale will be told.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Why are people buying so much toilet roll? It seems to be the only think some people are buying. I don't get it.

A good question, and one that's been asked many times in recent weeks. Only 3.7% of Covid patients get diarrhea, so there is no logical reason to stockpile toilet roll. Apparently the psycho analysts say that it's something to do with the comfort of wrapping your arms around large light items from the shops! Toilet rolls totally fit the bill.

Toilet rolls come in multipacks, they're large, not too heavy, and they fill your trolly :)

It's a psychological thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Really? I'm in my home office and, right behind me is plenty of food.

All non-perishables. No biggie. Just being smart because if we go into lockdown , I don't want to be queueing for 3 hours outside Dunnes when a far larger portion of teh population will be sick with it.

That means I have less chance to catch it and less chance to pass it to my dad.

I have plenty of food myself just not rooms full of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A good question, and one that's been asked many times in recent weeks. Only 3.7% of Covid patients get diarrhea, so there is no logical reason to stockpile toilet roll. Apparently the psycho analysts say that it's something to do with the comfort of wrapping your arms around large light items from the shops! Toilet rolls totally fit the bill.

Toilet rolls come in multipacks, they're large, not too heavy, and they fill your trolly :)

It's a psychological thing.

Worst case... everyone has a shower, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ah relax. Its a discussion on all things CV related.

Perfectly relaxed thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I only butter in the fridge and that’s it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

The reasoning behind panic buying/hoarding is pretty clear - if (if) worst case predictions of 60% of the population infected and self-isolating, 15-20% hospitalised, national and regional borders closed etc who exactly are you expecting to grow/process/put food on the shelves, or if you're quarantined/sick yourself deliver it to you? And do you actually fancy a trip to the Square in the midst of all that anyway? It's scary stuff, wity no suggetstion of the State being able to cope, and you can't blame people for feeling like they need to cover their own needs.

I live at the back of Jobstown, we all remember what a couple of days of snow did: Guards that couldn't manage the 20 minute walk from Tallaght to stop complete anarchy, Lidl destroyed and our post office gutted, local shops with no deliveries, roads not cleared for a week. And that was just a bit of bad weather, not many months of lock-down (Day 50 in Wuhan has just passed).

I can well understand the urge to have a few weeks worth of spag bol in the press, and enough jacks paper to keep you from having to venture out into who knows what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am seeing conflicting reports of the infectiousness of this, some say it's less contagious then flu (WHO have an official report on this) others say it's much more ???

Which is it ?

or is it all a bit of guesswork at this stage ?

Absolutely less. There would be containment if this was the flu. No banning of flights. There would simply be no point as it would get in on whatever tiny pieces of contact you allowed. Flu has a small death rate and still kills many around the world every year. That is because it is so infectious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Why are people buying so much toilet roll? It seems to be the only think some people are buying. I don't get it.

Because sheep will follow sheep. The same with all the clowns buying bread when we had a bit of snow.its fcukin ridiculous.you could bake bread if you were stuck for it but the clowns had to be seen out looking for it

deisedevil wrote: »
    I'll be getting plenty of it. But only because of the amount of idiots who are going to reduce the stock considerably. If things keep going the way they are going with it then when sensible people go to buy it as normal in their weekly shop they won't have a hope of getting any.

You’re theory only adds to the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Because sheep will follow sheep. The same with all the clowns buying bread when we had a bit of snow.its fcukin ridiculous.you could bake bread if you were stuck for it but the clowns had to be seen out looking for it

People love the drama. They love talking about the struggle they had to get the precious item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

You’re theory only adds to the problem.

I know. But I'm not going to be sitting here next week having to take a shower after every shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My 2 new favourite things:

People still going on their stags abroad to the UK, Spain and Portugal as we speak.

Also the secondary school close to me had to cancel their trip to Germany that was due to take place in early April and the scummy tour company fought tooth and nail to reimburse any money. Parents threatening legal action against the school (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Someone made a good point the other day.
    Lots of folk wouldn't know how to "Cook" to save their lives,and I mean TRULY cook.Not ready meals and fast food.The modern world we live in huh?

• Advertisement

The same fcukers should try stock piling common sense.it would be time better spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Worst case... everyone has a shower, right?

That's nearly best case for one of the lads I live with.

His personal hygiene is questionable enough that I'd have him penciled down as a guaranteed super spreader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

nthclare wrote: »
    How many cases have we here now?
    I cannot recall the first reported case.

But Inagh and Ennistymon haven't recorded any case since that family got it,.

So hopefully something is being done right.

Lots of testing has been done in the area and the results have all been fine. However, the bulk of the testing has been carried out far far too soon after individuals were in contact with positive cases, so those results can be ignored. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

LirW wrote: »

People still going on their stags abroad to the UK, Spain and Portugal as we speak.

Also the secondary school close to me had to cancel their trip to Germany that was due to take place in early April and the scummy your company fought tooth and nail to reimburse any money. Parents threatening legal action against the school (?).

Parents threatening legal action because the school cancelled a trip during a deadly pandemic. :confused:

I'd expel the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There are multiple alternatives to toilet paper if it finally comes down to it.

Honestly, worrying about loo roll shortage is the ultimate first world problem.

Stockpiling is an extremely frustrating issue, especially when there are people on this thread that were proud of themselves for it.
    It just creates more carnage for everybody.
    Once people get a sense that its happening, they then feel the need to do the same and it spreads quicker than the virus!

By all means, grab a few extra bits in case you have to isolate for 2 weeks. That is sensible.

But we don't need to be buying for months.

Vietnam looks like it's going to postpone its Grand Prix. How unlucky to build a track for your country's first GP and then this happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

LirW wrote: »

What's the difference between going to the UK for a weekend and going to Dublin for a weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There are multiple alternatives to toilet paper if it finally comes down to it.

Honestly, worrying about loo roll shortage is the ultimate first world problem.

Ssssssssh. I'm quietly bulk buying kitchen roll.

Don't rumble me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

nthclare wrote: »
    For the whole of February there was 3 cases, I think you're wrong there.
    What about the people who knowingly went skiing and there was more than 3 cases?

No, but you had issue with people going away on ski trips in February. When they left here, there were between 1 and 3 cases.

The subsequent outbreak occured in the final few days of February, when they'd have been over there. Without hindsight.

What's your figure for starting the blame game? 50, 100, 1000?

Like I said, when did you stop having contact with all people and places here?

I probably would agree on certain aspects of subsequent travel, but please set the goalposts and keep them there.

Your post I replied to was the second time you complained of people going on ski holidays in February specifically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement