Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

deisedevil wrote: »
    I know. But I'm not going to be sitting here next week having to take a shower after every shíte.

If there's a food shortage we won't ****e as much surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I am seeing conflicting reports of the infectiousness of this, some say it's less contagious then flu (WHO have an official report on this) others say it's much more ???

Which is it ?

or is it all a bit of guesswork at this stage ?

Which report are you referring to out of curiosity?

This one mentions an R0 of 2-2.5 (vs 1.3 for the common flu): https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

callaway92 wrote: »
    What's the difference between going to the UK for a weekend and going to Dublin for a weekend?

I can't get my head around going on a non-essential trip where there is very likely boozing and clubbing and crammed premises involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Steve F wrote: »
    If there's a food shortage we won't ****e as much surely?

Order in a rake of whey protein. That'll see you through with the pasta, and you'll **** bricks so solid you won't even need toilet paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭banie01

LirW wrote: »
    My 2 new favourite things:

People still going on their stags abroad to the UK, Spain and Portugal as we speak.

Also the secondary school close to me had to cancel their trip to Germany that was due to take place in early April and the scummy tour company fought tooth and nail to reimburse any money. Parents threatening legal action against the school (?).

My son is in TY and they have a trip to Barcelona planned for the Easter Break.

There is as yet no word on cancellation, but knowing the organising committee I am fairly confident that
    1. The trip won't go ahead. And
    2. The actual announcement will be held until the DFA update travel advice to ensure full refunds are obtained.

Many of the school's organising such trips are waiting as long as possible to update on cancellations to ensure that where it is at all possible that refunds can be obtained.
    It's akin to a game of chicken at the moment.
    Until a travel advisory or national quarantine is issued, cancelling is going to cost the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Maybe this is the push wider society needed to finally move to the bidet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

.you could bake bread if you were stuck for it but the clowns had to be seen out looking for it

Good luck baking bread without ingredients. Comes to the same thing.

Widespread bidet use hasn't arrested the spread in mainland Europe?

Anyway paddy will just use it as a footbath and pre-soak basin!
    Next thing ya know we will be putting our washing machine in the Jack's too ;) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

banie01 wrote: »
    My son is in TY and they have a trip to Barcelona planned for the Easter Break.

There is as yet no word on cancellation, but knowing the organising committee I am fairly confident that
    1. The trip won't go ahead. And
    2. The actual announcement will be held until the DFA update travel advice to ensure full refunds are obtained.

Many of the school's organising such trips are waiting as long as possible to update on cancellations to ensure that where it is at all possible that refunds can be obtained.
    It's akin to a game of chicken at the moment.
    Until a travel advisory or national quarantine is issued, cancelling is going to cost the parents.

And I totally get that. I don't see that it is necessary to threaten legal action to the school because they make the only responsible decision given the circumstances. If it shows anything, then how flawed travel insurance policies are because people are very likely to be left out of pocket and are in the right to be annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Bidet ...Well la-di-dah Mister Frenchman.....

It's called an Arse-Washer around these parts...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Tordelback wrote: »
    Good luck baking bread without ingredients. Comes to the same thing.

Every house in the country has flour milk and eggs.
    Relax with the drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Relax with the drama.

Unless the Milk is sour and you have no eggs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

roto-wipe-say-goodbye-to-costly-toilet-paper-say-goodbye-39588747.png

Or this? Could go all up your back though..

neil_hosey wrote: »
    roto-wipe-say-goodbye-to-costly-toilet-paper-say-goodbye-39588747.png

Or this? Could go all up your back though..

Not if ya fit a mud guard! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Relax with the drama.

That'll never replace Andrex!

Seriously, though - The would probably want to ensure that the home delivery services and the supermarket supply chains are robust and can be staffed in event of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

There's a meeting today with all the relevant parties to discuss the possibility of school closures. So I would guess there wil be an announcement today on next week.

Reliable source - not stating they will or won't but there is a meeting to discuss the possibility. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a closure for the reminder of the month.

Anyone know what are stats are in comparison to America for infection/population?

Should we be taking measures like America has canceling flights??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The toilet conversation is disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Bob24 wrote: »
    I'm losing 200 euros but I don't think it is worth taking the chance (plus the neirport I was supposed to fly to is next to one oc the first 2 French clusters - Mulhouse).

The Mulhouse cluster was/is linked to an evangelical religious conference mid-February - well away from the airport in terms of time and distance.

But 'tis an ill-wind ... I'm working in Mulhouse for a fortnight from next week, and the price of accommodation has dropped significantly compared to my last visit. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

LirW wrote: »
    I can't get my head around going on a non-essential trip where there is very likely boozing and clubbing and crammed premises involved.

The whole crisis is really helping identify the selfish amongst us.

When I am taking the precautions, I am not thinking about myself. Tbh, if I get it I get it. That does not concern me and I will face it down.

I am concerned thinking about passing it onto my network of family, friends, their families and anyone else who is vulnerable in them groupings. Putting those people who are compromised in a precarious position.

The best way to contain this crisis and minimize the damage is social distancing. It really is frustrating that as I take these measures, others do not seem that bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Vietnam looks like it's going to postpone its Grand Prix. How unlucky to build a track for your country's first GP and then this happens.

In all fairness, there's far more unlucky things happening to countless individuals on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Tordelback wrote: »
    The reasoning behind panic buying/hoarding is pretty clear - if (if) worst case predictions of 60% of the population infected and self-isolating, 15-20% hospitalised, national and regional borders closed etc who exactly are you expecting to grow/process/put food on the shelves, or if you're quarantined/sick yourself deliver it to you? And do you actually fancy a trip to the Square in the midst of all that anyway? It's scary stuff, wity no suggetstion of the State being able to cope, and you can't blame people for feeling like they need to cover their own needs.

I live at the back of Jobstown, we all remember what a couple of days of snow did: Guards that couldn't manage the 20 minute walk from Tallaght to stop complete anarchy, Lidl destroyed and our post office gutted, local shops with no deliveries, roads not cleared for a week. And that was just a bit of bad weather, not many months of lock-down (Day 50 in Wuhan has just passed).

I can well understand the urge to have a few weeks worth of spag bol in the press, and enough jacks paper to keep you from having to venture out into who knows what.

If 60% are infected, that leaves 40% healthy. Of the 60% infected, 80% will get over it in a few weeks and may not even have to take time off work. The ones who are really sick will be the elderly or those with underlying conditions most of whom don't work anyways.

So nope shops and supplies won't collapse. Its an example of misguided hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Relax with the drama.

I ran out of all of these just over 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

deisedevil wrote: »
    I'll be getting plenty of it. But only because of the amount of idiots who are going to reduce the stock considerably. If things keep going the way they are going with it then when sensible people go to buy it as normal in their weekly shop they won't have a hope of getting any.

That's what happening, once it starts it escalates so then there is a real risk of shortages

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The whole crisis is really helping identify the selfish amongst us.

When I am taking the precautions, I am not thinking about myself. Tbh, if I get it I get it. That does not concern me and I will face it down.

I am concerned thinking about passing it onto my network of family, friends, their families and anyone else who is vulnerable in them groupings. Putting those people who are compromised in a precarious position.

The best way to contain this crisis and minimize the damage is social distancing. It really is frustrating that as I take these measures, others do not seem that bothered.

The problem is the pre existing narcissism pandemic. As exemplified by Cheltenham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Canada and Israel now the 24th and 25th countries worldwide to reach 100 cases.

Greece , Czech Republic and Iceland close with 99, 94 and 85 cases respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Iceland's surprising. It's quite remote and it's only got a population of 364,000. That's significantly smaller than County Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I ran out of all of these just over 2 weeks ago

And what do you want me to do about it?write yourself a shopping list like a good lad.did you think they would replace themselves or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Arse

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

wakka12 wrote: »
    Canada and Israel now the 24th and 25h countries worldwide to reach 100 cases.

Greece , Czech Republic and Iceland close with 99, 94 and 85 cases respectively

Getting a little too close to me for comfort now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement