Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

wakka12 wrote: »
    56 new cases and first death in Austria

My family is there and it's absolutely bananas there. My sister works in a school and school closures were announces with the pledge to not give kids to grandparents. Toddlers shouldn't attend creche and pre-school. Working parents have the option of sending children to school to be minded.
    You can imagine how delighted she is to send her kid into creche to mind other people's kids. She's a single parent and has next to no support because everyone is working.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

Havnt been in Dublin city centre in a few days..have face masks become any way common yet? Even see the odd person wearing them?

Havent seen a single person wearing one. I'm working in D1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

mlem123 wrote: »
    What kind of bread are you making with flour eggs and milk? :L Sounds more like a cake haha Flour, yeast, water, salt are all you need

I’d rather be home eating cake bread than queuing up in a shop behind a load of drama queens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Questions need to be asked about the social welfare carrying out disability allowance reviews this week requiring claimants to go to doctors and consultants to get forms filled in when people are highly unlikely to get an appointment to their GP’

To add, one of these for a claimant with Down syndrome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Havnt been in Dublin city centre in a few days..have face masks become any way common yet? Even see the odd person wearing them?

Our local petrol station was robbed last week and he was wearing one.
    At least he was responsible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's the same here.

Both my parents are in their 70's, one with underlying health issues. I have a sibling that has an auto-immune disease who lives with them.

People may mock those stockpiling food over the last few weeks, but my folks have been because neither wants to go anywhere near a shop or supermarket if a mass panic happens. Particularly if there are going to be sick, or potentially sick, people there.

Easy to mock those that are "hysterical", as some posters here have called people who are being prudent. But to those people, I would say this - Unless you know the circumstances of each "hysteric", kindly fcuk off.

Similar boat.

That flu at Xmas was a massive kick for my family.

Brother ended up at the Doctor on Call on Xmas Day, strapped to a nebulizer with breathing difficulties. My mother went a few days latter (again to the doctor on Call). Both have asthma, both found their abilities to breath impacted.

Father is mid sixties, diabetic, overweight, asmatic and has other conditions. He’s terrified now, because the media is painting the picture (rightly or wrongly) that if/when he gets it, he will probably be in hospital for two weeks. Possibly in critical condition. He’s a taxi driver too, so high exposure to people. The flu pretty much made him bedridden for a few days.

Personally, while I have asthma, I’m in decent Enough health. When the flu ran through the house at Xmas, it barely dented me despite being in close quarters with them. I’m not personally worried about myself.

But we’ve HAD to plan for two weeks self isolation. If or when it hits our house, it will be bad. I really don’t see a situation where Dad doesn’t need a hospital trip, and I’d worry my mother and brother would be high risk too. So yeah, we’ve done enough to close the door for two weeks (three if we ration), just in case.

If it’s even just as bad as that flu, we will be off our feet for a few days.

That’s the best case scenario....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,938 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Will the FAI and the GAA follow Basketball Ireland and cancel all games?

Soon they will have to.

As Nicola Sturgeon noted, in Scotland it's likely soon they won't be able to provide police and ambulance cover for large events.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

wadacrack wrote: »
    According to this document. Its likely that was have currently about 800 cases in Ireland . The theory/rationale behind it is very very good.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

We literally have a choice now. To limit everthing we do and its likely that we could lower the fatality rate to 0.6%-to 1% . Medical care seems important for this condition.

If we let it get out of control , whicb with 800 estimated cases its on a threshold atm. We are looking at a death rate of 4%-6% .

Starting serious containment measures now is needed.

It’s a good but eye opening read.

We made the call to take our kid’s out of school Tuesday and isolate for underlying health reasons

One of my kids woke today with some of the symptoms - I hope it’s just a cold, but I do really believe it’s a lot worse than people realise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

onedmc wrote: »
    From a legal point of view I wonder is it force majeure yet. How major does it have to be, i suspect that we need an official statement to enforce it.

WHO have issued a pandemic notice, and several countries have a travel ban in force and the Department of Foreign Affairs has travel advisories up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Woman from Taiwan tests positive after travelling all around Europe incl Ireland .

Visited UK on 21st feb.
    Then transferred to Ireland and traveled to Belgium on 4th March
    She flied to Turkey from Belgium on 7th March.
    Arrived home on 8th of March in Taiwan and was hospitalised on the 10th of March with a sore throat/fever and headache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Major announcement coming at 11am here. Don't know the details, but apparently it's going to be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I've seen a few people, but mostly on non-Irish.

As an aside, I walked through Temple Bar after work to cut across the city and I've never seen it so dead during the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭quokula

LirW wrote: »
    My family is there and it's absolutely bananas there. My sister works in a school and school closures were announces with the pledge to not give kids to grandparents. Toddlers shouldn't attend creche and pre-school. Working parents have the option of sending children to school to be minded.
    You can imagine how delighted she is to send her kid into creche to mind other people's kids. She's a single parent and has next to no support because everyone is working.

Wait.. so effectively schools are still open but they've just stopped educating children while they're in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Xertz wrote: »
    Iceland's surprising. It's quite remote and it's only got a population of 364,000. That's significantly smaller than County Cork.

Still, its not Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i note that the 9 new cases are not community transfers, that the people got them from coming back from other countries. like duh, they are only testing people that travelled abroad. what do we reckon the real infection number is. about 500 people i would suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Supermarkets really running out of stuff this morning, I don't think anyone who stocked up a couple of weeks ago regrets it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sternn wrote: »
    Major announcement coming at 11am here. Don't know the details, but apparently it's going to be significant.

Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Woman from Taiwan tests positive after travelling all around Europe incl Ireland .

Visited UK on 21st feb.
    Arrived home on 8th of March in Taiwan and was hospitalised on the 10th of March with a sore throat/fever and headache

Probably got it in Turkey

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Xertz wrote: »
    Iceland's surprising. It's quite remote and it's only got a population of 364,000. That's significantly smaller than County Cork.

All this proves I think, is that cold may be Covid19s friend!

Visited UK on 21st feb.

But but but shd wasnt coming from an outbreak hotspot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The odd person indeed. I only ever see them around Henry Street. Last week I saw 7 within 15 minutes. Other days I've it seen 1 or even 0.

I think it will be getting more common day by day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

leahyl wrote: »
    Where?

Leo is going to be making an announcement about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Cabinet here (Netherlands) have announced that another crisis meeting will be held in an hour to discuss possible measures to prevent further spread. Really hoping it's a sign that they're going to get more strict with the large multinationals about working from home. It's too debatable for companies at the moment. Previously all of the meetings have been held after close of business so this could be in order to force companies to update staff of new measures before that today.

sternn wrote: »

Getting married?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The very odd one almost exclusively asian people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

That is confusing alright ... the speech does sound like to me it contradicts the data in the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

quokula wrote: »
    Wait.. so effectively schools are still open but they've just stopped educating children while they're in there?

Correct. And my sister works in a school with many socially disadvantaged family and predicts that many parents will send their kids regardless so they don't climb up their walls at home.
    It's a pretty horrible situation all around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Ah lads. My friend just found out that a lad in work has it and he was sent for testing last week. He also has a cough now and he was with his elderly mother on Sunday.

Can we not move out of this stupid phase and into delay so some of my friends have parents at the end of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

LirW wrote: »
    Correct. And my sister works in a school with many socially disadvantaged family and predicts that many parents will send their kids regardless so they don't climb up their walls at home.
    It's a pretty horrible situation all around.

Again, it's to prevent them being sent to grandparents who are at a higher risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fheds0/two_israeli_ladies_in_their_60s_went_to_new_york/
    Two Israeli women test positive after returning from New York City

Italy getting more like Wuhan by the day.. Italians may now face murder charges if they are showing symptoms of the virus and refuse to self isolate
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/12/people-coronavirus-italy-refuse-self-isolate-face-murder-charges-12385790/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement