Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm close to setting up an independent public advice service. Something like the Provisional HSE

Hahahaa

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sure the department want nursing home to be reopened to visitors.

Are workers in these homes wearing masks. gloves etc as they come in every day? Can visitors, close family to residents, not do the same? Given how long this crisis may last old folk are maybe going to die without ever seeing their family .

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

MadYaker wrote: »
    They're dead right. Even if schools can't close without dept approval boards of management should be telling parents who can to keep their kids at home.

The schools hands are truly tied i believe.... but at this stage, parents can take action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

spookwoman wrote: »

Are you posting this because you agree or disagree with the decision. Seems reasonable enough to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

At this stage i'm almost of the opinion the government are looking to cut the pension bill

And increase housing supply............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Boggles wrote: »
    Trinity are being made defend their decision of a partial shutdown going against Department advice.

Their answer was quite telling and pretty clear.

'We listened to the experts, including our own'

Unusual for TCD to get in a humble-brag about how great they are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

At this stage i'm almost of the opinion the government are looking to cut the pension bill

Called it. :cool:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112721230&postcount=7369

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

First financial loss because of this tiday. Commercial customer cancelled agreed job/price because they're very nervous of their own finances because of whats to come over the coming weeks/month. He's predicting they might have to close for a period of time that will have big consequences for them financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

This has been gone over countless times.

It could take 6 months of Chinese measures to bring the spread to a halt. They are well on the way to that.

With regards a lockdown, you slow the spread to give enough chance to our medical professionals to deal with hospital admissions.

Slowing the spread is vital at this stage. 99% of people recognise this simple fact.

Part of the 1% who don't are in government or advising them. These clueless idiots will cost lives.

I am trying to get my head around this situation. I think the following points are important:

- Once you do a lockdown, you are doing it until the epidemic is over. So we are looking at no schools at least until the summer, no exams, parents off work to look after the kids.

- There is a difference between slowing the spread and delaying the spread. If we delay (by doing a complete lockdown), then we have to hold that lockdown until everywhere globally is over the epidemic (or we block all incoming traffic once we are down to zero cases). If we don't do that, we will just start back up from where we were and we will hit the expected peak, only later.

- Slowing the spread on the other hand means reducing the R0 (how many people are getting infected by each infection). This is done by contact tracing, social distancing, hand washing etc. The idea here is that the infection continues to spread but more slowly. It is critical that it continues to spread to build up a community (or herd) immunity. You don't want R0 of zero, unless you are the only, contained, outbreak (e.g. when SARS was stopped in its tracks). Depending on the level of infections more blunt interventions will be needed to slow it down, i.e. at some point school closures may be needed.

So we don't want to stop the infection in its tracks here, we want to reduce the infection rate so the hospital systems can cope. One possible proviso to that is if we are sure that better weather will halt the spread, in which case we might be better going to full lockdown asap and waiting it out until the summer.

Note also that many of the commentators talking about full school closures are basing it on papers analyzing the 1918 outbreak, which showed that proactive school closures definitely saved lives. But that outbreak had a weird age profile and was actively killing school age children, something we are not seeing with COVID19. Looking at the age profile of COVID19, we should only be stopping gatherings of over-60's at this stage, to try to allow a community immunity build up while protecting the most venerable.

This musing was prompted by a passing comment from a epidemiologist on UK TV news last night, to the affect that we don't want to just delay it completely, we need some spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Sweet jesus. Fcuking government are worse than useless

We all have opinions on how the government is handling this virus. Health v economics.

People who think they are not acting fast enough can make some decisions for themselves, don't have to wait to be told.

I know some people have bills and children and older or sick family and may not have as many choices. We need to think about what's going on and decide for ourselves what we can do to protect ourselves, family friends and community. Make the decisions we think best protect us.

The government will eventually catch up.

No point panicking and hoping Leo will solve it all.

Make good choices for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I'm close to setting up an independent public advice service. Something like the Provisional HSE

If you just state " wash your hands" and "don't go to Italy" you're already as useful as the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    First financial loss because of this tiday. Commercial customer cancelled agreed job/price because they're very nervous of their own finances because of whats to come over the coming weeks/month. He's predicting they might have to close for a period of time that will have big consequences for them financially.

My job has slowed down dramatically. This time last month we were out the door. Since Monday it's been very quiet. Even the m50 going north in the morning has a lot less cars.

Edit: our sales reps are banned from entering a few of our customers stores as well

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Graces7 wrote: »
    Are workers in these homes wearing masks. gloves etc as they come in every day? Can visitors, close family to residents, not do the same? Given how long this crisis may last old folk are maybe going to die without ever seeing their family .

No workers dont have masks, potentially some medical staff do... but not everyone else. And when we have a shortage of masks how will thjs work? Correct decision to close the homes; reopen when the risk is known or peak has passed. Nursing homes will close locally when Novo bug is about or tricky strands of flu no reason not to close for this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Strazdas wrote: »
    They don't. China couldn't give a toss about its citizens. They are only interested in protecting their economy.

Agreed. China decided the better option for their economy was a complete and total lockdown of nearly 40 million people. The sick and dead can't pay their taxes.

Italy have come to the same conclusion. Dominoes will continue to fall across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wonder if the three in the Mercy Hospital are the three males that were announced last night, I presume it is? Otherwise thats another three cases for us in Cork :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    We all have opinions on how the government is handling this virus. Health v economics.

People who think they are not acting fast enough can make some decisions for themselves, don't have to wait to be told.

I know some people have bills and children and older or sick family and may not have as many choices. We need to think about what's going on and decide for ourselves what we can do to protect ourselves, family friends and community. Make the decisions we think best protect us.

The government will eventually catch up.

No point panicking and hoping Leo will solve it all.

Make good choices for ourselves.

I'm not concerned about me but giving "advice" to nursing homes about letting visitors back in is actually beyond belief. Like these are THE most vunerable. I'm actually in shock after seeing that tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

what's the all island total now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

The less people who have access the lower the risk to anyone in there. Staff are completely necessary but relatives aren't. A resident and their family might not care about the risks but the rest of the residents might. So why should one families lack of understanding be enough of an excuse to risk others lives. Keeping as many residents alive as possible trumps hurting people's feelings no matter how harsh that might be.

The staff are well trained on how to avoid bringing anything onsite residents aren't and will lie that they don't have symptoms. Staff won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

83 in the UK today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wonder if the three in the Mercy Hospital are the three males that were announced last night, I presume it is? Otherwise thats another three cases for us in Cork :(

They are according to Rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ever since some chap got bitten by a snake in Ireland a couple of months ago,
    it's fair to say, things have taken a turn for the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Sure hand them a glock when they arrive and tell them to finish off granny in a hurry after the visit instead of contracting a virus that will give you a slow painful death

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sure the department want nursing home to be reopened to visitors.

I cannot believe that moron Holohan has actually come out and said the nursing homes visiting ban should be relaxed.

At this stage that is gross negligence and bordering on reckless endangerment.

How anyone, especially someone supposedly with a medical degree, can seriously think letting a bunch of elderly people face an increased distinct risk of exposure to covid19 is frankly fooking retarded.

I have had a few relatives in nursing homes and the residents are usually in day rooms and that is often where visitors go in to have a chat with them.
    One infected person could introduce the virus to 10 to 20 very susceptible people at a stroke.

Even if visitors were to go straight to a resident's room they pass through or by open areas where other residents risk possible exposure.

I bet within a week people are going to be completly disregarding anything out of this planks mouth.

No wonder Jim McDaid is calling for his head.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

what's the all island total now?

52 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Nursing homes are expensive to run. :pac:

19% of the population are 60 and above. If this virus killed off that much of the population, people wouldn't be worried about the pension or housing crisis. Society would break down and there would be anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Catalonia have banned public gatherings of more than 1000 people and ALL sporting events are to be played behind closed doors.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

1st case in Reunion: an 80-year-old man, returning from the United States who transited through Paris

I'm ashamed to say, that's the second time in a few days that a case has popped up in a country I'd never heard of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement