Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

laurah591 wrote: »
    Now is the time to isolate away from grandparents

If schools close my guess is it will be mainly grandparents minding kids . Most people don’t have another option

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can watch it here.

https://twitter.com/rtenews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

:pac:
    They’re married since 1988 :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hurrache wrote: »
    And how would that work with all the parents in work?

Don't go to work, basically.

It's a certainty that schools will close at some stage if we follow the trend of other countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Leo Varadkar is due to make a statement from Washington shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

leahyl wrote:
    All I'm saying is what was said to me - perhaps the immediate is incorrect then??? We'll find out soon enough I guess

Stop this sh1te of 'a friend told me'

Provide a source or stop the sh1tetalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, this thread is filled with rubbish already. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Sorry if this was posted earlier, aparently Irish Times broke embargo - Schools and colleges to close.

gmisk wrote: »
    Honestly....is there really any need for this rubbish?
    I am not gonna home alone my own house.
    Little evidence of law and order breaking down in other countries even Italy (bar the jail break)
    We have an abundance a of thugs, junkies and scumbags in this country. Teenagers who terrorize their neighbours during ordinary times just for the craic. People who loot for the craic including tearing the roof off Lidl with a digger. The amount of times I read about so-and-so "who has 50 previous convictions".

These people who loot and terrorize for the craic when food is abundant... what are they going to do when they're hungry and shelves are empty? MI5 endorse this line by the way, they say society is 4 meals away from anarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Don't ruin the joke with your goddamn facts Retro :P

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

I assume it is a wider announcement that people will have to work from home by Government decree?

The vast majority of people cannot work from home though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Don't go to work, basically.

It's a certainty that schools will close at some stage if we follow the trend of other countries.

They're already in work for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Listening to Sean O'Rourke and he was interviewing a guy from Pakistan in a Direct Provision Centre.
    He was worried about himself and his family contracting the virus.
    But the bigger question is why is a guy from Pakistan and his family in a Direct Provision Centre?
    Last time I checked, it's a reasonably safe country and is not at war.

Can we park the racist BS until we deal with the pandemic?

We have an abundance a of thugs, junkies and scumbags in this country. Teenagers who terrorize their neighbours during ordinary times just for the craic. People who loot for the craic including tearing the roof off Lidl with a digger. The amount of times I read about so-and-so "who has 50 previous convictions".

These people who loot and terrorize for the craic when food is abundant... what are they going to do when they're hungry and shelves are empty?

Why would shelves be empty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Secondary and colleges to closes. Being announced later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

There is a difference between sensible stock piling buying a few extra items and some non perishables and panic buyers.

It makes sense to have mire than you need and if not needed you can eat it anyway

Oh yea that's what I mean, a bit extra each week is how I've done it (for everything).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Leo Varadkar is due to make as statement from Washington shortly re. the latest developments.

What's the bets he announces school closures to distract from the fact he got stood up by the Donald.:pac:

Listening to Sean O'Rourke and he was interviewing a guy from Pakistan in a Direct Provision Centre.
    He was worried about himself and his family contracting the virus.
    But the bigger question is why is a guy from Pakistan and his family in a Direct Provision Centre?
    Last time I checked, it's a reasonably safe country and is not at war.

Maybe they are from a minority community in Pakistan or witnessed something terrible

picture44.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

deisedevil wrote: »
    Secondary and colleges to closes. Being announced later today.

Primary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The insurance industry has that done already

One silver lining out of this is that when it's over and the economy needs kickstarting I bet the government will have no choice but to finally do something about the insurance problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

George Lee suggesting on RTE 1 that we are moving to the delay phase

It’s be postponed so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Public services look like they will shut down.

Coronavirus: Schools, colleges, public facilities in Ireland set to shut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Does anyone remember the joke about the optimist that fell off the top of a skyscraper? He plummeted down, and when he got to the first floor he said, "So far, so good!".

Reminds me a lot of what lots of people are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

wadacrack wrote: »
    According to this document. Its likely that was have currently about 800 cases in Ireland . The theory/rationale behind it is very very good.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

We literally have a choice now. To limit everthing we do and its likely that we could lower the fatality rate to 0.6%-to 1% . Medical care seems important for this condition.

If we let it get out of control , whicb with 800 estimated cases its on a threshold atm. We are looking at a death rate of 4%-6% .

Starting serious containment measures now is needed.

Everyone should be made read that article. It is very informative albeit i cant stand over the science- it appears reasonable. I hope our government advisors read this

sternn wrote: »
    Major announcement coming at 11am here. Don't know the details, but apparently it's going to be significant.

Aliens!

546694910955275763_1371689320.jpg

Why would shelves be empty?
    Shelves were empty in China and they're empty in Italy. We're already seeing the early stages of it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

In approx 10 days time it'll be very interesting to see the spike on the Irish COVID 19 incidence graph that can be directly linked to ar$eh0les heading over to Cheltenham.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The vast majority of people cannot work from home though.

Yep. It's not feasible for many either due to the nature of the job or because the company didn't set up the systems to do so. Even where the systems are in place, they are dependent on people having a computer (most companies don't have loads of spare laptops), a stable connection and, if using say a remote desktop, that the company's systems can scale sufficiently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone got a link to Leos speech? Is it televised?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement