Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its incredible, really.

You see the shutting down of countries, suspensions of sporting leagues, and there's still arm chair experts going "Ah, its all grand."

Ireland has ALWAYS had this problem. You see it every time there's a storm, and there's people on boards and Reddit getting into arguements with actual experts, as if their opinion holds more value. Its insane and this is where it bites them in the ass now.

They'll be the same ones next week asking why did no one warn them :P

These are the same people that were saying calling off the Ireland v Italy match was an over reaction. :rolleyes:

Probably cribbing about it non stop to all their family and friends and anyone else who would listen ... look like some eejits now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I can't see them opening on the 29th. They are preparing us for a much longer shutdown.

Agreed.

I guess they see it easier to announce two weeks and extend to 10 weeks than announce 10 weeks and cut it to 8 or something later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Coveney calling on people to continue to work and remotely where possible. They're obviously panicking that no one will go in tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Working from home from tomorrow for forseeable future.

Absolutely correct decision being taken by the Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

People still seem to complaining that its too early , mind boggling. We hopefully can look back on this as a day that saved many lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Are some just addicted to moaning & complaining?

The government are doing all they can.
    We are practically now in lockdown with only 43 cases.

Credit where it is due they are being pro active.

6 nations called off while other countries have huge amount of 50,000 games.
    Patrick's Day called while still going ahaed in certain places in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

dan786 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the mass gathering part applies to work places?

Although my section of the public service provides a useful and important service, it is not essential. In our office of approximately 25 people, only a couple have children in school/childcare.

I was advised by doctors 15 years ago that I have a condition that means it's very difficult for me to fight infection - but thankfully I've been fine, often through being prudent and resting in the evenings rather than going out. I only work a 3-day-week so it's all been very manageable. In fact, I have taken very little sick leave - not a single day last year. But I feel I'm perhaps taking a risk going by public transport into my job.

It's a dilemma - to 'do the right thing, and go to work to help the wheels of public service keep turning', or 'to do the right thing, and avoid contact with a lot of people'.

We can't work from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm off to get loo roll. I just shít myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Expecting to see the Copper Faced Jacks “We are business as usual” or some equally irritating blasé status

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

wadacrack wrote: »
    People still seem to complaining that its too early , mind boggling. We hopefully can look back on this as a day that saved many lives

If it works as intended, we wont know how many lives it saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Officially in delay phase according to Minister for Health

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Maybe you want to volunteer your services at the front line somewhere then, if it's all over the top and much ado about nothing.

Actions needed but closing schools is just a reaction to social media.

The socio-economic impact of shutting down is serious and will result in poorer health outcomes (non FLU) for many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Coveney calling on people to continue to work and remotely where possible. They're obviously panicking that no one will go in tomorrow

It’s going to take time for people to adjust, they are going to have to keep communicating simple messages, I Dont think it’s panic it’s pragmatic.

I think our government has been excellent this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly anyone coming back from Cheltenham should be bused down to the Curragh for two weeks of enforced quarentine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Talks that Cheltenham could be called off tomorrow

Should have been called off last week, scandalous that it went ahead, all Irish returning should self quarantine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

so does anyone with a cough self isolate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

SCOL wrote: »
    Schools to close from 6 pm today

FROM TOMORROW.

I really dont get how they can feck up and cause such confusion over school closures.
    Very badly worded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

A little perspective on the numbers. these are just new cases every day lists with the totals at the bottom. Ignore sweden switzerland they still need to be done.

We do not want those numbers from the continent

WN9btPnl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Coveney saying "I'm a father, a husband and a son too" really hit me, in fairness he spoke well.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭El Duda

As an English guy... I'd just like to congratulate you all for living in a country with a government that can see sense and puts its people first.

Here, all of the chat I'm hearing is about the damage isolation will do to the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Drumpot wrote: »
    Exactly, our government was slow to start but have been excellent at ramping things up. I’ve been following this for months and I’m very encouraged by how they are trying to handle this.

Really?

People from Netherlands or Spain weren’t getting tested yesterday. The previous day people weren’t getting tested from Italy. If you haven’t travelled abroad or in contact with a confirmed case they won’t test you. That was that. My friend returned from Rome, I’m convinced she has COVID19, but HSE wouldn’t test her and STILL WON’T and every GP is giving out about this.

Patrick’s day parade should’ve been cancelled way in advance. Schools and universities should’ve been closed last week. We had our first death yesterday. It’s been in the country for weeks, if not a month. The woman who died in Naas yesterday wasn’t in contact with a confirmed case and hadn’t been abroad.

In some countries the governments took the action we’re seeing now the first case they confirmed. Some are also handing out hand sanitiser and masks and testing EVERYONE who arrives from abroad, land, air, or sea. The governments response has been awful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

These are the same people that were saying calling off the Ireland v Italy match was an over reaction. :rolleyes:

Probably cribbing about it non stop to all their family and friends and anyone else who would listen ... look like some eejits now!

Like...I will happily hold hands up and say a week ago, I was rolling my eyes a bit, thinking "Ah. it's just another weird China story. I'll keep an eye on it but it's not the end of the world".

But as the week has progressed, as Patricks Day was cancelled....at some point, you've got to accept that when the institutions are voluntarily descimating society, it's probably not because it's a fun thing to do. The reaction over the last week has been a lot stronger than anything else. And that deserves enough respect for the average person to go "I need to trust this is for a reason; that this 'over-reaction' is actually because the problem is genuine, and it wouldn't hurt me to take it seriously".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So many experts in here still not able to grasp the gravity of the situation.

I am honestly wondering whether the post you quoted is serious or is a troll looking for attention. I think the poster is serious but I just can't comprehend how one can't measure the gravity of the situation now that what have have real work exemples of what is coming in several countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

E36Ross wrote: »
    FROM TOMORROW.

I really dont get how they can feck up and cause such confusion over school closures.
    Very badly worded.

Really? Could have sworn it was from today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

time to start bringing my own lunch to work instead of popping out to buy something prepared by someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fair play to Leo. Spot on decision. I just hope the experts in here who think this just a bit of a flu aren't in important decision making roles in their jobs

Axfrderr wrote: »
    Coveney saying "I'm a father, a husband and a son too" really hit me, in fairness he spoke well.

He spoke very well. He only reiterated everything leo said but he spoke far better.

Edit: I'm not bashing leo... Just saying Coveney did a great job there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭omerin

Wouldnt it be some great pr for netflix, amazon, prime, sky etc to offer their services free for a period of time?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Axfrderr wrote: »

Yeah, The Cove is one of the few politicians you can take seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Prediction after this announcement: 30+ cases will be declared at 6pm

Community transmission too, has to have been the trigger (and common sense)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement