Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

in northern ireland there have been 246 tests, with 18 positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

dougm1970 wrote: »
    52 ?

That's not a very accurate looking number. Do you work for the HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

Sure hand them a glock when they arrive and tell them to finish off granny in a hurry after the visit instead of contracting a virus that will give you a slow painful death

0.0007% of the population of the island have the virus. That means you'd want to have a good hundred thousand people turn up at the home before there was a likelihood of some of them having the virus. And since the people that do have the virus or are suspected of having it are already being isolated, that chance is even lower.

There's a reason why most experts aren't recommending condemning elderly people to isolation and enormous mental health damage for what is still a vanishingly small chance of causing harm. If the numbers change, the advice will change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ambulance currently taking someone away in this camera link :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

quokula wrote: »
    0.0007% of the population of the island have the virus. That means you'd want to have a good hundred thousand people turn up at the home before there was a likelihood of some of them having the virus. And since the people that do have the virus or are suspected of having it are already being isolated, that chance is even lower.

There's a reason why most experts aren't recommending condemning elderly people to isolation and enormous mental health damage for what is still a vanishingly small chance of causing harm. If the numbers change, the advice will change.

It could take 1, 2 people infected to potentially wipe them all out. Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to say, that's the second time in a few days that a case has popped up in a country I'd never heard of.

Reunion Island? It's not a country, it is an overseas department of France e.g. like the Falkland Islands. Not a UN member.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

0.0007% of the population of the island have the virus.
    No, 0.0007% are confirmed to have the virus. There's a hell of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Reunion Island? It's not a country, it is an overseas department of France e.g. like the Falkland Islands. Not a UN member.

Ah!

Looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Tabnabs wrote: »

I thought you were taking the p*ss, but alas no....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

bb12 wrote: »
    19% of the population are 60 and above. If this virus killed off that much of the population, people wouldn't be worried about the pension or housing crisis. Society would break down and there would be anarchy.
    It is an interesting point. If you look at pandemic preparedness papers online, they all have sections dealing with social breakdown and the use of emergency measures to maintain peace. You can see this in the movie Contagion for example, which is pretty much on the button vis a vis this outbreak (expect for a much higher fatality rate). So why are we not seeing that kind of unrest in this case? I would speculate it is exactly because of that age profile - 80 year olds aren't going to be out rioting any time soon, and 80 is average age of death in Italy for example. Parents riot, young adults riot. I think especially if it was affecting children we would see widespread unrest at this stage.

It is also possibly because nowhere has actually hit into even single digit population penetration, let alone the 40-60% merkel was talking about. Maybe when we get there and people start to see the reality of a completely overwhelmed hospital system we will see some unrest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Strazdas wrote: »
    Some medical experts are cautioning against moving to lockdown too soon. It would nearly be impossible to maintain a lockdown for longer than say 4 weeks (people would be nearly going crazy with no form of daily activity to pursue or social interaction of any description).

Its almost like you want coronavirus to spread at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thehedge

0.0007% of the population of the island have the virus.

That's just the number of people who we know have the virus, there is a known unknown of how many people who haven't been tested have the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

I feel like I have noticed a lot more Ambulance activity since this all started.

Or is it the same but am I just noticing it more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

thehedge wrote: »
    That's just the number of people who we know have the virus, there is a known unknown of how many people who haven't been tested have the virus.

There's an unknown number of people with Ebola too. We should have just shut down the whole world years ago as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm not concerned about me but giving "advice" to nursing homes about letting visitors back in is actually beyond belief. Like these are THE most vunerable. I'm actually in shock after seeing that tweet

Yes it's advice, if they have a good manager who will listen to all advice and decide what's best for his/her home, then they should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

thehedge wrote: »

Thanks Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Tabnabs wrote: »

Ambulance guy has a mask on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's an unknown number of people with Ebola too. We should have just shut down the whole world years ago as a precaution.

Is there community transmission of Ebola in Ireland?

There is community transmission of Coronavirus in Ireland, that's why we know there is an unknown number of people in Ireland with that virus (but not Ebola).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

spookwoman wrote: »

This emphasises the difficulty.

If an older person dies at home naturally, will there be a small doubt whether it was CV related pneumonia? And what happens then.

This is surely the dilemma faced in China and Italy already.

One more complication of this that the "sure its only a mild flu" brigade ignore.

I think the no funerals for victims also will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The earlier the lockdown, the shorter a time is required. The more comprehensive the lockdown, the more successful it will be. The more of our neighbors share a lockdown at the same time, the more likely that the infection will be combated in the medium to long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

The earlier the lockdown, the shorter a time is required. The more comprehensive the lockdown, the more successful it will be. The more of our neighbors share a lockdown at the same time, the more likely that the infection will be combated in the medium to long term.

Will it not all just flare up again though after the lockdowns are lifted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

This is worth a watch.

Don't mind the title, it's a bit click-baity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I'm not sure if you saw my previous post about this, but we actually probably do want it to spread, just more slowly than it has been. Unless the whole world manages to go on complete lockdown for maybe 4 weeks, we are not going to actually stop this outbreak. So it *will* spread, either now or later. So the idea is that we show the spread to allow the hospitals to cope with the % that will need help, all the while building up community immunity to help slow it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I feel like I have noticed a lot more Ambulance activity since this all started.

Or is it the same but am I just noticing it more

The ambulance service have responsibility for home testing so there will be more activity

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

18 people currently in isolation in the Clayton hotel today for corona virus! 2 people air lifted to hospital last night. The Media aren’t reporting on it either? This **** is getting a little too close for comfort!!! #ClaytonHotel #CoronaVirus

I'm not concerned about me but giving "advice" to nursing homes about letting visitors back in is actually beyond belief. Like these are THE most vunerable. I'm actually in shock after seeing that tweet

Yep the latest in bad advice from senior HSE officials and their "scientific advisers".

I have this image of someone returning from their ski trip to Italy and going to the nursing home to tell their mother, father or uncle all about it. If they were dumb enough to go to northern Italy at a time like this you can be sure they are dumb enough to visit a nursing home.

Use your phone to call them FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

eldamo wrote: »
    the guy who sits behind me in work is just back from madrid.

someone in the office raised it to the office manager that they were worried about him.

my boss refused to send him home, we go off an alert list from the robert koch institute to decide how bad an area is.

he isn't feeling well

has a doctors appointment at 1pm.

IT'S HAPPENING!

If you were that worried you would have just walked out you seem to value having a job more.

Not having a go at you it has happened in my job also.
    Thats the thing people back from infected areas do not have infection written on their forehead.

It's a difficult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

deisedevil wrote: »
    The less people who have access the lower the risk to anyone in there. Staff are completely necessary but relatives aren't. A resident and their family might not care about the risks but the rest of the residents might. So why should one families lack of understanding be enough of an excuse to risk others lives. Keeping as many residents alive as possible trumps hurting people's feelings no matter how harsh that might be.

The staff are well trained on how to avoid bringing anything onsite residents aren't and will lie that they don't have symptoms. Staff won't.

Absolutely true. Nursing Homes are used to periodic restrictions when infections are likely.

I visit an elderly uncle in a Nursing Home weekly. We have often been prevented from visiting due to virus or infection risks. I spoke to him on the phone this morning and he says they are quite happy that they are being protected as best as can be done at the moment.
    I've seen families arrive and ignore hand sanitising gels in the past. Throwing a gown on mask on some of them wouldn't prevent transfer of infection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

If there was a shutdown
    Anyone who lives rural life and by the coast or near the woods probably have more of a chance staying sane.
    Rather than being in suburbs, at least one could have a sneaky walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

optogirl wrote: »
    The ambulance service have responsibility for home testing so there will be more activity

I thought they weren't meant to use an ambulance to go and do the tests

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement