Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

How am I meant to deliver furniture from home 😑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

pad199207 wrote: »
    Probably asked already.

Are schools in tomorrow Friday or off?

Yes, from 6pm tonight schools and colleges closed until March 29

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-schools-colleges-public-facilities-in-ireland-set-to-shut-1.4200977

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Selfish question: I get married in July here in Ireland. Do we think it will be cancelled?

With aggressive action now we might be getting back to some sense of normality with restrictions in June maybe. It'll still be on the loose and we still won't have a vaccine so I'd imagine those in the vulnerable category would continue feeling very reluctant to attend large gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

pad199207 wrote: »
    Probably asked already.

Are schools in tomorrow Friday or off?

There will be no school tomorrow. From 6pm today, all schools, colleges, creches closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Absolutely. I can’t fathom people saying that the government has done nothing. The response is not perfect but from what I can see, we are faring better than other European countries. The six nations game was called off quite early and that move came in for a lot of criticism (I know that wasn’t the government though).

Why. Won’t. The. HSE. Test. People.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yup.

My sister has my 85 year old mother (angina/thyroid issues/ type 2 diabetic) out now - wrapped in dettol wipes by all accounts- stocking up while the shops are quiet.

I (insulin dependent diabetic) have enough stuff in to last for at least 3 weeks for 2 adults and 5 dogs - I can stay at home most of the time (hospital appts aside) but my OH can't as her job cannot be done from home and requires interaction with the public. She is at high risk of getting the virus - I am at high risk of suffering severe complications if I get the virus.
    OH is at work, wiping her desk down with a sterile solution after every customer, refusing to shake hands, telling people to just keep the pen, and generally s*itting herself trying to avoid catching the virus as she watches people sitting across from her coughing on to her desk, into their hands and asking to borrow a pen 2 seconds later etc etc... she now keeps her precious hand sanitizer in her pocket as people keep robbing it.
    Her colleague works part-time and is a full time carer for her chronically ill, bed bound, husband.

None of us are 'hysterical' - we are aware that should Ireland end up like Italy I would be on the unlikely to get access to a ventilator triage list, and the bed bound husband wouldn't even get as far as a triage list - so we are taking as many precautions as we can.

We are in Cork where there has already been a community transmission.

We would really appreciate if other people showed a bit of consideration and coughed into their damn elbows when out in public. :mad:
    y
    For this wisdom, thank you and many of us are quietly doing the same. There is a basic difference between true manic stockpiling and simple needful and prudent provisioning.

How am I meant to deliver furniture from home ��
    Trebuchet in the back garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

How am I meant to deliver furniture from home ��

They never said everyone is to stay at home. They just said if you can work from home, stay at home. I'm the same, i work with people with disabilities in their houses so it's not an option for me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

MD1990 wrote: »
    Are some just addicted to moaning & complaining?

The government are doing all they can.
    We are practically now in lockdown with only 43 cases.

Credit where it is due they are being pro active.

6 nations called off while other countries have huge amount of 50,000 games.
    Patrick's Day called while still going ahaed in certain places in the US.

43 cases is the equivalent of 600 cases in Italy when the first outbreak started. That area was quarantined straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Essential services staffs' children off school, no provision to obviate parent's need to stay home to care for them.

Increase spacing in homeless shelters, reduces capacities, no mention for provision of temporary shelters.

Still no indication of joined-up thinking evident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Indoor gatherings of 100 people what about the likes of Blanchardstown Jervis and all these big indoor shopping centres are they allowed to remain open?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just read on the Worldometer feed....

1 new case in Taiwan: a woman in her 40s who traveled to Ireland and Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Tomrota wrote: »
    Really?

People from Netherlands or Spain weren’t getting tested yesterday. The previous day people weren’t getting tested from Italy. If you haven’t travelled abroad or in contact with a confirmed case they won’t test you. That was that. My friend returned from Rome, I’m convinced she has COVID19, but HSE wouldn’t test her and STILL WON’T and every GP is giving out about this.

Patrick’s day parade should’ve been cancelled way in advance. Schools and universities should’ve been closed last week. We had our first death yesterday. It’s been in the country for weeks, if not a month. The woman who died in Naas yesterday wasn’t in contact with a confirmed case and hadn’t been abroad.

In some countries the governments took the action we’re seeing now the first case they confirmed. Some are also handing out hand sanitiser and masks and testing EVERYONE who arrives from abroad, land, air, or sea. The governments response has been awful.

As of now, they don’t have the facilities. That will soon be rectified. But they can’t currently test everyone suspected. It’s not physically possible just yet. GPs can give out all they want; you can’t just magic up personnel and facilities. Hospitals have to validate their testing processes to ensure accuracy before testing can begin and give extra training to staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Taiwan did even better.

An island half the size of Ireland 80 miles off the Chinese mainland, with a HUGE expat community in China, with many coming home for the Lunar New Year in January.

They started their preventive measures on 31 December 2019 when there were just 27 confirmed cases in China. They had their first case on 21 January.

They even had a visit from the death ship, the cruise liner Diamond Princess, before it went to Japan.

It has so far managed to keep confirmed cases to 49 with one death, 20 recovered and none in a serious condition.

If only we had followed their lead on how an island nation can deal with this Fu(king virus.

If we had just cancelled flights to and from North Italy and done nothing else we'd probably only have a tiny handful of cases at this point. Okay almost certain to spread here eventually with they way it's going in the UK but even staving off widespread transmission for a few more weeks would have been a big help to the health service...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Trebuchet in the back garden?

Genius !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not enough kits or labs to process tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just read on the Worldometer feed....

1 new case in Taiwan: a woman in her 40s who traveled to Ireland and Belgium.

Feckin Belgians. Always knew nothing good comes from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

It will.

It is up to each of us to support our Health Workers in any way we can.

Absolutely. One way we can do this is ban sports events indefinitely. There are gatherings in dressing rooms, where the virus could easily spread. Most are contact sports, eg rugby. And those injured clog up A&E taking up vital resources. I think some sports bodies are already doing this.

The more people we can needlessly keep out of hospital the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Indoor gatherings of 100 people what about the likes of Blanchardstown Jervis and all these big indoor shopping centres are they allowed to remain open?

technically speaking; isn't that most offices?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Literally after the horse has bolted.

Only fools and horses. Quite literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭kg703

Some HSE Staff have been put on notice to work from 8-8 Monday to Sunday so Id say testing and contact tracing are going to be increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

People spend there time giving out ****e about the government

This action was fairly swift in all fairness

So credit them for that

I remember you dismissing this in the first thread and mocking people that were panicking. And that everyone was overreacting.

All the best to you Mr. Hanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Boggles wrote: »
      Did Trump just make Ireland and the UK the gateway to Europe?

The ban extends to anyone who has been in a Schengen country in the last 14 days so they wont get through US immigration control if they try and reroute through Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Has the Three network gone down? Can't make any phone calls. Everyone panic calling?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

+213 cases in Switzerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dublin's National Stadium was due to hold a wrestling event this Saturday night for 2000 fans. A few of the talents booked were to come in from the US. Cancelled now just in the last few minutes.

[IMG][/img]89038733_2887390197993155_7179572696131305472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=vEO8UjZYDHsAX9xlK0m&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=df6fa5f727d9a238c453bb3101df01f9&oe=5E8F8A35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

If only the evironmental/biodiversity disaster could be seen as a public health emergency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Baggly wrote: »
      Feckin Belgians. Always knew nothing good comes from there.
      Er chocolate and beer surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Now that schools are cancelled I really hope parents keep their children at home and not let them out and about congregating.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

time to quarantine travel between Ireland and the UK...those Cheltenham ****ers can stay there

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement