Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid19-lee-hsien-loong-singapore-serious-situation-12532014
    Singapore preparing for a spike in cases. This is worrying because Singapore have done almost everything possible to limit spread and so far it's worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Wouldn't imagine it would only be Cheltenham though. probably all the ones that went to any English football games and everybody going on holidays etc
    Weird to single out one event in the grand scheme of things

It was estimated that 10,000 Irish people would attend Cheltenham this year.

It represents a wholly avoidable international, recreational event where masses of people (80-100,000) are jammed together in perfect conditions for transmission & will undoubtedly in so many cases pick up COVID 19 and bring it back home to Ireland with them.

The responsible thing to do was to stay home - Its worth noting that it was available for them to watch it on TV where every last second of it was conveniently televised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tomrota wrote: »
    Why. Won’t. The. HSE. Test. People.

They. Are. Testing. People. The people tested already are proof of that ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

At work in a supermarket now and it's like the end times have begun. It's absolute carnage.

What are people buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Are the shops seriously being emptied? **** sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Croohur1 wrote: »
    I work in a public library. Do we stay open? Genuine question as I called head office and they haven't a clue.

Yes you go to work. It's quite clear, business as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Apparently everything we do from here on out will be prefixed with panic-

I'm panic-drinking some coffee as I write this

You better get that old panic-home defence ready before someone panic-breaks into your house and panic-loots your panic-brewed coffee!

so leo has explained on Skype from America to close all schools colleges & public offices,

I work in the county council and we are a public office but we will remain open ??

Your manager will answer this not people on boards.

My wife is a county council employee and they are staying open. Plans already in place for essential services to remain functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Italy has enforced closures of bars and cafes, same time as our press conference are saying "up to them to take measures", feels like we're a few days behind and might just catch up and learn from Italy that people are gonna just ignore the advice unless enforced closures occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

A journalist finally asked the Coppers question - and the answer is... No Coppers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

wakka12 wrote: »

Entirely predictable sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Leo "Some might find this shocking"

Really?

At work in a supermarket now and it's like the end times have begun. It's absolute carnage.

Appalling. That's what that doctor in Bergamo said NOT to do. Plan to go when its quiet. Measures might be needed in the case of a longer (inevitable IMO) shutdown.

God. I'm not looking forward to all the people who won't be able to come to work tomorrow because of the school closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

If anyone needs supplies, go now. I'm serious

Yep that'll make the shopping trip easier for all.
    Everyone go Now!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The irony of people queuing in close proximity in a shop when you've been specifically advised to avoid large gatherings and close contact.

Idiots.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Appalling. That what that doctor in Bergamo said NOT to do. Plan to go when its quiet. Measures might be needed in the case of a longer (inevitable IMO) shutdown.

In a couple of weeks they will be announcing cases 'where somebody had recently visited Tesco'!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Croohur1

Yes you go to work. It's quite clear, business as usual.
    And if we have 200 secondary students in trying to study because school is closed. Whiwh we often do...it isn't really quite clear is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Looks like Trump made the call

505332.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Downlinz wrote: »
    What are people buying?

bog roll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

And people on here said we were mad to buy bits n bobs for the last 4 weeks!! Always going to be the case we'd have a % that would panic buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Those coming back from Cheltenham need to be put into a big warehouse. The mind boggles that it still went ahead.

As I remember it, the Brits were slow to do anything sensible with regard to Foot and Mouth disease too... until it was too late.

Going ahead with Cheltenham, the various football matches and Crufts were terrible mistakes.

Those coming back from Cheltenham should be advised to self isolate for 14 days, because otherwise they risk exterminating some of our older and fragile fellow citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Croohur1 wrote: »
    I work in a public library. Do we stay open? Genuine question as I called head office and they haven't a clue.

There's nothing to say at the moment your place of work has to shut. I'd say it's down to individual management (for now).

Shops, cafes, bars, banks, Garda Stations, Tax offices, NDLS and a myriad of others have no obligation to close. Staff there dealing with the public daily. I don't see why for the moment, a library would be different.

(Not to say your question isn't valid, as I see museums are closed) but I'd say it will vary from place to place based on who makes the call.

The policy may also become more strict over time, but not mandatory for the moment.

If anyone needs supplies, go now. I'm serious

Stop. I see no reason to panic regarding stockpiling food as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

callaway92 wrote:
    But would you say the same about going for a night out anywhere now - Including your local etc?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

spookwoman wrote: »

People who are going into supermarkets and stockpiling on items to the point that nothing is left on the shelf for people who actually need them..such insular thinking and utter selfishness, they should be ashamed, but of course they're not, they are illogical, irrational, HYSTERICAL, and the only people in the world who matter are their own families. Not a single thought for the elderly who may only venture out to shop once a week to find the shelves empty, or people with chronic health conditions who need these items all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,218 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CFlat wrote: »
    God you have to feel sorry for couples who probably spent the last 18 months or so preparing their wedding and now may have to cancel:(

I'm meant to be going to a friend's wedding in the first week of April. They're pretty freaked as you can imagine. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

It's probably been said many times but takes care of yourselves lads and your loved ones. Yes we all bicker and argue on this site but at the end of the day this is a matter of life and death. Us younger healthy people are probably OK. It's the older people we need to worry about, your parents and grandparents. This is a genuine risk to them and the pain it would cause loosing a loved one is horrible. Take care of each other, have a bit of compassion and we can get through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

People panic buying in shops is both partially understandable but it also exacerbates the problem that you are trying to avoid - suffering shortages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

wakka12 wrote: »

Was in lidl about an hour ago in kildare town. The shelves were far from empty but it was very busy all right. No loo roll mind you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement