Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Measures put in by the government are very sensible

lawred2 wrote: »
    :(

something so utterly utterly depressing about this

Aye, seen with my own jaded eyes in last hour. "Let's buy ten of everything and deprive vulnerable people supplies." An unsavoury side of human nature emerges when backs are to the wall: naked self-interest and greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Jesus... I went to tesco Baggot St as I usually do at this time to get a banana and soup and the place was mayhem. Just walked back out. I refuse to be part of this nonsense.
    You can live on next to nothing foodwise, do people not realise that? A bag of rice would probably get you through a week. We're not going to run out of f*cking food.
    Don't buy into this nonsense. This really is the snowflake generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Christy42

It's probably been said many times but takes care of yourselves lads and your loved ones. Yes we all bicker and argue on this site but at the end of the day this is a matter of life and death. Us younger healthy people are probably OK. It's the older people we need to worry about, your parents and grandparents. This is a genuine rial to them and the pain it would cause loosing a loved one is horrible. Take care of each other, have a bit of compassion and we can get through this.

Be careful with older people as well as look after them! I am not going to visit my Granny for obvious reasons. I have no symptoms or anything but better safe than sorry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

CFlat wrote: »
    God you have to feel sorry for couples who probably spent the last 18 months or so preparing their wedding and now may have to cancel:(

It must be nerve wracking as well because I'd imagine the wedding insurance policies will only pay out if it is cancelled due to the government requiring mass gatherings not to go ahead. Hopefully anyone discommoded will get compensation or maybe the new venues will be sound and give them a new date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

weekend booked away in Sligo with the wife and kids starting tomorrow. Would you lot go or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

JuneMoon7 wrote: »
    People who are going into supermarkets and stockpiling on items to the point that nothing is left on the shelf for people who actually need them..such insular thinking and utter selfishness, they should be ashamed, but of course they're not, they are illogical, irrational, HYSTERICAL, and the only people in the world who matter are their own families. Not a single thought for the elderly who may only venture out to shop once a week to find the shelves empty, or people with chronic health conditions who need these items all the time.

100% if someone was elderly or immuno-comprimised, i'd go do their shopping for them.

Might be a service worth starting up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

People shouldn’t panic.
    No need to rush to the shops. Avoid crowding too.
    Use common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nijmegen wrote: »
    People panic buying in shops is both partially understandable but it also exacerbates the problem that you are trying to avoid - suffering shortages.

It's not understandable. The best way for everyone to get through this is for us all to work together sensibly as a community.

Panic buyers are selfish arseholes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

By God I wouldn't want to cross that Humphrys wan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

tom1ie wrote: »
    weekend booked away in Sligo with the wife and kids starting tomorrow. Would you lot go or what?

Go, and be clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Back in my less responsible days I would regularly run out of jacks roll and then just jump in the shower afterwards for a bit. Are people not aware you can do this? It's probably more hygienic anyway. Christ almighty...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

Don't go into shops right now. It's not a storm that will pass in two days. Things will settle down within a week. Packing into the shop full of clueless panickers all touching stuff and crowding together is not a good idea.

If anyone needs supplies, go now. I'm serious

No, thats completely the wrong advice. Potential of getting infected will go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

People shouldn’t panic.
    No need to rush to the shops. Avoid crowding too.
    Use common sense.

What if logistics companies get spooked? Drivers not wanting/refusing to drive across Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Personally I’d have no issue going somewhere in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Real Madrid squad on quarantine, la Liga suspended

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51853524

You’ll be fine. Head away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is your wife good craic?

How do you expect people to answer this kind of question honestly, you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Apparently everything we do from here on out will be prefixed with panic-

I'm panic-drinking some coffee as I write this

Im gonna have a panic w##k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Jesus... I went to tesco Baggot St as I usually do at this time to get a banana and soup and the place was mayhem. Just walked back out. I refuse to be part of this nonsense.
    You can live on next to nothing foodwise, do people not realise that? A bag of rice would probably get you through a week. We're not going to run out of f*cking food.
    Don't buy into this nonsense. This really is the snowflake generation.

He has rice! Get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

did i just see right on the news.... 3000 new cases in spain ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The irony of people queuing in close proximity in a shop when you've been specifically advised to avoid large gatherings and close contact.

Idiots.

Same with people stock piling hand sanitizers. Seen people use hand sanitizer, touch tables and other objects and then have no problem touching their face, mouth, nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

CFlat wrote: »
    Was in lidl about an hour ago in kildare town. The shelves were far from empty but it was very busy all right. No loo roll mind you!

Simple answer to the loo roll problem, have the immersion on and take a feckin shower with a cloth and soap or don't people wash their arses anymore when they shower?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Shops should only allow people by 2 of each item, calm the panic.

lawred2 wrote: »
    What if logistics companies get spooked? Drivers not wanting/refusing to drive across Europe?

Won’t happen. Driving and loading lorries is quite safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

They only acted because Trump had a brain fart lastnite.
    They had to act because of what he did.

Imagine that, the dotard in chief actually helped us out! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

Nijmegen wrote: »
    People panic buying in shops is both partially understandable but it also exacerbates the problem that you are trying to avoid - suffering shortages.

Its not understandable. Its ignorant and selfish. People will be left with a garage full of items they will not end up using, not for for many months anyway, while other people are left having to return to shops over and over in the hope they can actually get their hands on at least one item that hasnt repeatedly sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

And people on here said we were mad to buy bits n bobs for the last 4 weeks!! Always going to be the case we'd have a % that would panic buy.

If you are young, fit and healthy there is no reason to panic buy.

If you go to the shops a forthnight or month from now and take precautions your chances of catching CV are slim to none.

If you go to a shop today with hundreds of people in close proximity and queuing in close proximity many possibly carrying a mild version of CV your risks go up.

Avoid large indoor gatherings. That includes large shops at busy and panic buying times. The advice couldn't be clearer.

Some who are panic buying now probably are not long returned from their ski holiday, headed over to Cheltenham for a day or two and now want to stock up.

Its often the same 10% of people who cause most of the issues in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

As I remember it, the Brits were slow to do anything sensible with regard to Foot and Mouth disease too... until it was too late.

Going ahead with Cheltenham, the various football matches and Crufts were terrible mistakes.

Those coming back from Cheltenham should be advised to self isolate for 14 days, because otherwise they risk exterminating some of our older and fragile fellow citizens.

Are outdoor sporting events really such a massive risk though? I'd say some who spent last weekend in London, used public transport extensively, went into a lot of coffee shops, fast food joints etc. would be a lot more likely to be bringing the virus back with them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement