Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

tom1ie wrote:
    weekend booked away in Sligo with the wife and kids starting tomorrow. Would you lot go or what?

I'm here now. It's a bit rainy but seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    But shops will remain open. Lads listen to what is being said please.

Exactly. I am going to be in work.
    I'm not getting any time off, unless I am really sick.
    Traffic will be lovely for 2-5 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

JuneMoon7 wrote: »
    People who are going into supermarkets and stockpiling on items to the point that nothing is left on the shelf for people who actually need them..such insular thinking and utter selfishness, they should be ashamed, but of course they're not, they are illogical, irrational, HYSTERICAL, and the only people in the world who matter are their own families. Not a single thought for the elderly who may only venture out to shop once a week to find the shelves empty, or people with chronic health conditions who need these items all the time.
    Time for shops to limit goods per customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Not the best pocket placement

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Spain: +502 cases/+9 deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

seen a few rumors last night someone from sligo i.t. tested positive yesterday evening.....no idea how true it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

University of Limerick will still have limited access.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 inatissy

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/208354

August 8, 2007

Nonpharmaceutical Interventions Implemented by US Cities During the 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic

Howard Markel, MD, PhD; Harvey B. Lipman, PhD; J. Alexander Navarro, PhD; et al

Interesting read discussing the closures of schools, I know not the exact conditions but strong argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Appalling. That's what that doctor in Bergamo said NOT to do. Plan to go when its quiet. Measures might be needed in the case of a longer (inevitable IMO) shutdown.

Hmmmm Corona Virus advice from an Italian Doctor.....?

That's like a child safety advisory from the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jesus... I went to tesco Baggot St as I usually do at this time to get a banana and soup and the place was mayhem. Just walked back out. I refuse to be part of this nonsense.
    You can live on next to nothing foodwise, do people not realise that? A bag of rice would probably get you through a week. We're not going to run out of f*cking food.
    Don't buy into this nonsense. This really is the snowflake generation.
    I was in buying my lunch in that shop at 11 and it was empty.
    Obviously people gone bananas after Leos announcement, fecking idiots need to chill out

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    I work in a prison. Prob gonna die, lol xoxo

If you dont mind my asking, have you been informed of any changes to your day to day routine?
    Will visiting still be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Tomrota wrote: »
    Why. Won’t. The. HSE. Test. People.

You will see a change very soon.They are working very hard towards ramping up the testing.

They are commandeering Labs throughout the country.

Limerick is one.

"Due to an increase demand for Covid-19 testing across the country, the Department of Health now plans to “significantly” increase testing capacity by expanding to regional laboratories, with a testing lab in Limerick tipped to “come on stream over next couple of weeks”.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/coronavirus/524721/limerick-braced-for-covid-19-lockdown.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I'm genuinely out of toilet roll. Some of you miserable gits are making me feel guilty for wanted to buy some to wipe my hole..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭circadian

flynnlives wrote: »
    They only acted because Trump had a brain fart lastnite.
    They had to act because of what he did.

Imagine that, the dotard in chief actually helped us out! lol

I doubt the Ecdc gives a toss about the incoherent ramblings of a sex pest rolled in wotsit dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Can't stand Leo, and wouldn't vote for FG in a fit.

But Coveney absolutely is someone who I respect. He's very well spoken and actually has the air of a leader off him.

Give me a break, they talk just as much ****e as the rest, this was them before the bank bail outs,

Simon Coveney,

“Firstly we can save the Irish
    tax-payer very significant
    sums of money by forcing
    senior bondholders to take a
    portion of the losses that have
    been incurred. That's a viable
    position."

Leo Varadkar,

“any bank
    coming to us looking for more
    money is going to have to
    show, how they are going to
    impose losses on their junior
    bondholders.. On their senior
    bondholders and their other
    creditors before they come
    looking to us for anymore
    money... not another cent."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

If you are young, fit and healthy there is no reason to panic buy.

If you go to the shops a forthnight or month from now and take precautions your chances of catching CV are slim to none.

If you go to a shop today with hundreds of people in close proximity and queuing in close proximity many possibly carrying a mild version of CV your risks go up.

Avoid large indoor gatherings. That includes large shops at busy and panic buying times. The advice couldn't be clearer.

Some who are panic buying now probably are not long returned from their ski holiday, headed over to Cheltenham for a day or two and now want to stock up.

Its often the same 10% of people who cause most of the issues in this country.

That's if the shops are opened in a week or two. This could change dramatically in such a short space of time

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

JuneMoon7 wrote: »
    Its not understandable. Its ignorant and selfish. People will be left with a garage full of items they will not end up using, not for for many months anyway, while other people are left having to return to shops over and over in the hope they can actually get their hands on at least one item that hasnt repeatedly sold out.

Dont worry, the garages will soon get cleaned out when the gangs start roaming door to door. I must rewatch the Walking Dead to see how Rick got out of the city and started his own gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Sir Oxman wrote: »

But then there really would be a panic.

There are still plenty of people still at work.
    Some items from affected countries might be in short supply soon but thats to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

kg703 wrote:
    I was supposed to be at Cheltenham this week for work for the entire week. I fell down my stairs and broke my ankle last week.

If the only reason you didn't go is because you broke your ankle, you really should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'm an at-risk person, immune system disease and respiratory disease, due for a small procedure tomorrow in hospital, anyway, I went to buy an inhaler(prescription) today only to be told they'd none, in any of the 4 local chemists.

This leaves me in a pretty bad way, i dont blame the people that are panic-buying, i blame the media that's spouting sensationalist scaremongering about what is essentially a flu, and creating an even worse situation for people who are genuinely at risk, like myself with this mass-hysteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Won’t happen. Driving and loading lorries is quite safe.

Well, the drivers have to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

Same with people stock piling hand sanitizers. Seen people use hand sanitizer, touch tables and other objects and then have no problem touching their face, mouth, nose.

You see it all the time in disaster movies and it turns out its true..in times of crisis, people turn into selfish, hysterical idiots. Logic goes out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Mango Joe wrote: »

In fairness the doctors are left dealing with the mess made by politicians and senior health department officials. Just like in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

inatissy wrote: »
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/208354

August 8, 2007

Nonpharmaceutical Interventions Implemented by US Cities During the 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic

Howard Markel, MD, PhD; Harvey B. Lipman, PhD; J. Alexander Navarro, PhD; et al

Interesting read discussing the closures of schools, I know not the exact conditions but strong argument.

What was the conclusion?

kingbhome wrote: »
    That's if the shops are opened in a week or two. This could change dramatically in such a short space of time

Why would the shops close? They haven't/didn't close in any other country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

circadian wrote: »
    I doubt the Ecdc gives a toss about the incoherent ramblings of a sex pest rolled in wotsit dust.

him banning travel forced their hand. There would be uproar had they down nothing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mango Joe wrote: »

That's an extremely bad take and you should hang your head in shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

kingbhome wrote: »
    Don't be silly.
    Shops selling food and chemists are still open in Italy and look how bad things are there.

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »

They need to adopt this measure NOW. Visited the pharmacy this morning looking for a hand sanitiser, five minutes after opening. One person had swooped in before me, buying the entire stock of eight. I'm sick to my teeth of selfish muppetry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement