Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,579 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Aye, seen with my own jaded eyes in last hour. "Let's buy ten of everything and deprive vulnerable people supplies." An unsavoury side of human nature emerges when backs are to the wall: naked self-interest and greed.

Or it is possible that people are shopping for themselves, and their neighbour, and their elderly parents so that they don't have to go out and potentially expose theselves and it's the opposite of selfish??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Time for shops to limit goods per customer

one would have thought but cowardly management will try to leave it up to till operators to enforce that...

so... won't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Same with people stock piling hand sanitizers. Seen people use hand sanitizer, touch tables and other objects and then have no problem touching their face, mouth, nose.
    I never imagined how difficult it is to not touch my face!
    You'd swear I was gorgeous or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They need to adopt this measure now. Visited the pharmacy this morning looking for a hand sanitiser, five minutes after opening. One person had swooped in before me, buying the entire stock of eight. I'm sick to my teeth of selfish muppetry.
    How many would you have bought yourself? Be honest ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

They need to do something to stop the panic buyers and horders... dont sell em mass amounts, absolute clowns of people.

Lets all rush to the shop in a massive crowd yay!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Akrasia wrote: »
    Or it is possible that people are shopping for themselves, and their neighbour, and their elderly parents so that they don't have to go out and potentially expose theselves and it's the opposite of selfish??

unlikely though

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Spain: +502 cases/+9 deaths.

I think such updates are unnecessary. Almost all nutcases here check worldmeters and other sources regularly. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

I'm an at-risk person, immune system disease and respiratory disease, due for a small procedure tomorrow in hospital, anyway, I went to buy an inhaler(prescription) today only to be told they'd none, in any of the 4 local chemists.

This leaves me in a pretty bad way, i dont blame the people that are panic-buying, i blame the media that's spouting sensationalist scaremongering about what is essentially a flu, and creating an even worse situation for people who are genuinely at risk, like myself with this mass-hysteria.

The media are educatiing on the facts, but people are paying too much attention to social media and are only hearing what they want to hear. I feel sorry for everyone in your situation, there needs to be more highlighting of the importance of looking out for the people like yourself who are most in need of these items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

People will panic buy - I dont know why anyone is surprised by that sure dont we fill the trolleys for Christmas and that's only one day.

I think all the young people in college and LC or anyone who may potentially lose their jobs over this should be employed to help the HSE - Even Skype group calls to elderly in the community - picking up meds, testing, cleaning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

tom1ie wrote: »
    weekend booked away in Sligo with the wife and kids starting tomorrow. Would you lot go or what?

Are you paying ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did Dobbo not retire??

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

kingbhome wrote: »
    That's if the shops are opened in a week or two. This could change dramatically in such a short space of time

The shops will be open. There is zero reason to close shops, if people avoid panic buying. Otherwise numbers may have to be limited into them.

The vast majority of people haven't bothered to educate themselves on coronavirus. You just know there is a massive part of the population who never ever watch the news. These are the panic buying people. Herd mentality at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Fair play to the government on this one

Coveney and Harris came across very well

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

All joking aside, this was the right thing to do. All the evidence points to the success of making every effort to slow this bastarding thing down and giving the health professionals some chance of treating those who suffer complications from it and of slowing down infection rates.

Are we the first European country to do it outside Italy?
    We need to stop all travel now as well except for those Irish citizens who need to return home. Use being an island to our advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

JuneMoon7 wrote: »
    People who are going into supermarkets and stockpiling on items to the point that nothing is left on the shelf for people who actually need them..such insular thinking and utter selfishness, they should be ashamed, but of course they're not, they are illogical, irrational, HYSTERICAL, and the only people in the world who matter are their own families. Not a single thought for the elderly who may only venture out to shop once a week to find the shelves empty, or people with chronic health conditions who need these items all the time.

Its dumb but tomorrow is friday when most supermarkets get their biggest delivery so the panic buying will subside and next week they'll have stock again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

They need to adopt this measure NOW. Visited the pharmacy this morning looking for a hand sanitiser, five minutes after opening. One person had swooped in before me, buying the entire stock of eight. I'm sick to my teeth of selfish muppetry.

They shouldn't have allowed them to buy 8, implement maximum purchases on santizer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well, the drivers have to believe that.

If everyone follows the guidelines regarding cleanliness and using tissues, avoiding crowds, washing hands etc we’ll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Spain: +502 cases/+9 deaths.

Spanish numbers looking bad. Thought it was worse.

We are at 3000 cases and 84 deaths in Spain. Only source I can find for yesterday is 2100 and 49 deaths.

Either way it's bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

People who are going into supermarkets and stockpiling on items to the point that nothing is left on the shelf for people who actually need them..such insular thinking and utter selfishness, they should be ashamed, but of course they're not, they are illogical, irrational, HYSTERICAL, and the only people in the world who matter are their own families. Not a single thought for the elderly who may only venture out to shop once a week to find the shelves empty, or people with chronic health conditions who need these items all the time.

They are also human. It's not like it's a new phenomenon and if most rational people weren't susceptible to it it wouldn't be a thing. Fight or flight is usually not a choice.

People should just take a reasonable amount but this will calm down after a couple of days and if supply chains really are good and we are a food secure nation there won't be a serious issues for people on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

They need to adopt this measure NOW. Visited the pharmacy this morning looking for a hand sanitiser, five minutes after opening. One person had swooped in before me, buying the entire stock of eight. I'm sick to my teeth of selfish muppetry.

And in their idiocy they prevent others being able to stop spreading germs. Very short sighted but such is human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Heading to Lanzarote on Saturday for a week (where there are currently no cases). Would you stay / go? I could cancel for little financial loss..but was really looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We have had weeks to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

Absolutely. This virus will expose other, deeper pathologies in our community.

We have to look after each other if we are to overcome this crisis but we have lost the old habits of civility and neighbourliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Cupatae wrote: »
    They need to do something to stop the panic buyers and horders... dont sell em mass amounts, absolute clowns of people.

Lets all rush to the shop in a massive crowd yay!!

The year is 2030, Amazon & Google warehouses have taken over not only retail market but the supermarket chains. During pandemics they will control via their warehouses who gets what and will ration out certain items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Downlinz wrote: »
    Supermarkets really running out of stuff this morning, I don't think anyone who stocked up a couple of weeks ago regrets it now.

go back to the shop tomorrow and Saturday and the stuff will magically reappear

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

flynnlives wrote: »
    him banning travel forced their hand. There would be uproar had they down nothing today.

Nothing to do with Trump! More to do with WHO, and what they said yesterday, and I would also expect a large number of confirmed case announced later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Oh Lord, I just had a woman explaining to me that she's entitled to her own opinion about the virus and she's absolutely going to her hens abroad.

Never underestimate the power of dense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its not understandable. Its ignorant and selfish. People will be left with a garage full of items they will not end up using, not for for many months anyway, while other people are left having to return to shops over and over in the hope they can actually get their hands on at least one item that hasnt repeatedly sold out.

Personally I think its bad that people have not been stocking up slowly over the past weeks. We have, and so have lots of people on boards. If you could afford it whats the harm in that !! The panic buying now is caused by the same people who have been telling us on here the virus is nothing to worry about and will blow over. The people who haven't been stocking up are causing this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Are you paying ?

fcuk no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

sternn wrote: »
    Heading to Lanzarote on Saturday for a week (where there are currently no cases). Would you stay / go? I could cancel for little financial loss..but was really looking forward to it!

Can think of worse places to self isolate for 2 weeks!

As long as they don't suddenly all start dieing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement