Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

sternn wrote: »
    Heading to Lanzarote on Saturday for a week (where there are currently no cases). Would you stay / go? I could cancel for little financial loss..but was really looking forward to it!

DFA advising caution on travel to certain areas of spain (including baleric and canary islands), simon coveney tweeted last night. DFA high degree of caution https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/

We have an urge to stockpile and hoard supplies in times of crisis because you have thousands of generations of anscestors who stockpiled, survived and then passed on their genes. Ancient humans who were too stupid to stockpile died during lean times and didn't pass on as much of their genetic material. It's an inherited behaviour. It's entirely natural and logical.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Or it is possible that people are shopping for themselves, and their neighbour, and their elderly parents so that they don't have to go out and potentially expose theselves and it's the opposite of selfish??

Sorry old chap, that simply isn't good enough. How about picking up supplies incrementally so that stocks aren't depleted too quickly, ergo can be replenished in timely fashion. Hypothesise away to your hearts content, shops need to eliminate hoarding so that people don't lose out in the hectic shuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A local teen disco In Galway has been cancelled because of the coronavirus and the Facebook page just posted screenshots of the abuse thats been hurled at them from boyras and chyung wans for cancelling it. Can't cope. It would spread like wildfire with all the shifting...

ES2vLdGXQAEWYle?format=jpg&name=large

Priceless

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sternn wrote: »
    Heading to Lanzarote on Saturday for a week (where there are currently no cases). Would you stay / go? I could cancel for little financial loss..but was really looking forward to it!

I'd go, but I would possibly expect to plan for delayed return or possibly expect to be told to self-isolate when you get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Spanish numbers looking bad. Thought it was worse.

We are at 3000 cases and 84 deaths in Spain. Only source I can find for yesterday is 2100 and 49 deaths.

Either way it's bad.

yes...bbc reported them figures....but
    worlometers update has it less...2779 cases and 64 deaths.
    but again...bbc in last ten minutes on tv news reported exactly what you said...3000 cases and 84 deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Can think of worse places to self isolate for 2 weeks!

As long as they don't suddenly all start dieing

Ah yeah, but at least it'll be warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

tom1ie wrote: »
    weekend booked away in Sligo with the wife and kids starting tomorrow. Would you lot go or what?

Follow the guidelines, If your not going to a gathering of more than 100 people (indoors) then I don't see why not. If your coming from the east you could just as easily pick it up there than Sligo. The only thing left to consider is your accommodation i.e busy hotel or something smaller.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

LirW wrote: »
    Oh Lord, I just had a woman explaining to me that she's entitled to her own opinion about the virus and she's absolutely going to her hens abroad.

Never underestimate the power of dense.

Sure why wouldn't she go? Shes basically being given the go ahead to go. Flight are continuing from country to country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

UK expecting a big day too...

Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon - ahead of today's announcement on the number of cases there - has said she expects a "sharp rise in cases". Today's figures are expected to be released at about 2pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The year is 2030, Amazon warehouses have taken over not only retail market but the supermarket chains. During pandemics Amazon will control via their warehouses who gets what and will ration out certain items.

I'm pretty sure when the virus emergency ends countries will start developing more self sustainable economies and possibly moving away from the global supply chain structures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Are outdoor sporting events really such a massive risk though? I'd say some who spent last weekend in London, used public transport extensively, went into a lot of coffee shops, fast food joints etc. would be a lot more likely to be bringing the virus back with them

I am not sure if anyone really knows exactly what the risk of outdoor gatherings really is.

But you are most certainly closer than 2 meters to the next person and with all the coughing, roaring, shouting, effing and blinding at the ref (or horse), the air is sure to be full of droplets.

The virus is only known to science for less than 11 weeks so the relative dangers of various places is unknown.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Did Dobbo not retire??

Adjunct professor at University of Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

People can replace hand sanitiser with soap and warm water. Just wash your hands often and wash door handles, keypads, light switches and anything else that may be infected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

They are also human. It's not like it's a new phenomenon and if most rational people weren't susceptible to it it wouldn't be a thing. Fight or flight is usually not a choice.

People should just take a reasonable amount but this will calm down after a couple of days and if supply chains really are good and we are a food secure nation there won't be a serious issues for people on the island.

People like that are selfish idiots, most know exactly what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Theres rarely 100 people at my local mass these Sunday anymore so grand there.
    There hasnt been 500 at a mass since the pope came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A local teen disco In Galway has been cancelled because of the coronavirus and the Facebook page just posted screenshots of the abuse thats been hurled at them from boyras and chyung wans for cancelling it. Can't cope. It would spread like wildfire with all the shifting...

ES2vLdGXQAEWYle?format=jpg&name=large

Priceless
    Some of the spelling ....maybe shutting the schools wasn't a good idea after all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Jesus... I went to tesco Baggot St as I usually do at this time to get a banana and soup and the place was mayhem. Just walked back out. I refuse to be part of this nonsense.
    You can live on next to nothing foodwise, do people not realise that? A bag of rice would probably get you through a week. We're not going to run out of f*cking food.
    Don't buy into this nonsense. This really is the snowflake generation.

But I want pasta with my rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fair play to the government on this one

Coveney and Harris came across very well

Three weeks too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Italy has enforced closures of bars and cafes, same time as our press conference are saying "up to them to take measures", feels like we're a few days behind and might just catch up and learn from Italy that people are gonna just ignore the advice unless enforced closures occur.

In Italy:

What's open is pharmacies, groceries, supermarkets, pet food shops, technology (computers, mobiles) shops, tobacco shops, hardware shops, newsagents, laundrettes, gas stations, banks, post offices, public offices, vet clinics and practices.

What's closed is bars, cafes, restaurants, ice-cream shops, hair dressers, markets, schools, cinemas, theatres, museums, gyms and swimming pools.

It is strictly forbidden to have a walk just for the fun of it, but you can walk your dog around your neighbour for the shortest time as possible.
    It is strictly forbidden to visit with friends and relatives, unless one of the relatives needs assistance/shopping.
    It is strictly forbidden to have parties indoors or outdoors.
    It is strictly forbidden to move to a second house, wherever it is located. This is allowed only if the main residence has a gas/water/electricity problem.

No masses, funerals, weddings, or any other religious ceremonies or gatherings are allowed.

It is possible to do sport activities outdoors, but not in groups.
    It is possible to go to work if the smart working isn't an option, but taking sick or paid leaves is strongly suggested.

Anyway, every time we leave our home we need to have an auto-declaration form where we state the reason why we are leaving home, to produce in case the police asks us. There are only a few valid reasons to be outside home:
    Work, health issues, emergencies.
    Even feeding feral cats in colonies or volunteering in pounds or dog/cat shelters is a valid reason.
    In case of false declaration the fine is €206 or 3 months jail.

All of this is in operation till April 3rd.

I hope to have listed all :)

Feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

Just left supervalu only need a loaf. Society has collapsed in johnstown navan. People just buying anything they can get their hands on. 10 people deep at each check out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Three weeks too late
    Three weeks too late for what?
    Schools are still open in most other places in Europe. UK still open and a lot more cases than here.
    I think it was the right move they did it pretty quickly imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Beasty wrote: »
    XXXIV cases already in the Republic, XVI in the North.

why the daft idea to use unnecessary roman numerals here and also in the thread title?

the actual official name of the virus is "SARS-CoV-2" if you want to be clever about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

There is no shortage of food. It just the demand doesn't allow for the shelves to be filled up.

One of the guys I know works in Aldi store and there was a lady yesterday buying 4 full boxes of pasta (40kg I think) They are up their sleeves and can't cope with it.

Another disaster coming tomorrow with many getting paid on Friday.

In reality the shelves are not completely or even half empty, more like you might end up with penne instead of spaghetti etc. Food is there.

And will be there for another week or two no problem ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

People can replace hand sanitiser with soap and warm water. Just wash your hands often and wash door handles, keypads, light switches and anything else that may be infected.

Soap doesn't kill virus and bacteria. Washing hands with soap is effective because of the rubbing/rinsing motion. You can't apply that when cleaning surfaces and door handles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We have an urge to stockpile and hoard supplies in times of crisis because you have thousands of generations of anscestors who stockpiled, survived and then passed on their genes. Ancient humans who were too stupid to stockpile died during lean times and didn't pass on as much of their genetic material. It's an inherited behaviour. It's entirely natural and logical.

give me a break - most of these idiots are following facebook and twitter feeds and reacting to them

inherited behaviour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Three weeks too late

People would've wanted them lynched 3 weeks ago if they suggested implementing these measures then. We had no cases and Italy had only 3 at that stage. Enough with the stupid revisionism FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

LirW wrote: »
    Oh Lord, I just had a woman explaining to me that she's entitled to her own opinion about the virus and she's absolutely going to her hens abroad.

Never underestimate the power of dense.

I had one of those vegan, non binary feminists block me in Instagram yesterday because I told her that her opinions are absolutely pathetic.

Non stop posting about how cancer kills more people, flu kills more people and hunger kills more people and people need to stop caring about coronavirus and concentrate on curing world hunger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

My missus has been put on a 20hr week as of this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Fair play to the government on this one

Coveney and Harris came across very well

Fair play nothing, the are entirely reactive and not pro active. They could've suspended flights from the epicentre in Italy and chose not to. F*ck them.

The only reason they're shutting everything down is because other countries are doing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement