Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    18 people currently in isolation in the Clayton hotel today for corona virus! 2 people air lifted to hospital last night. The Media aren’t reporting on it either? This **** is getting a little too close for comfort!!! #ClaytonHotel #CoronaVirus

hashtags on boards now...

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

sparkle109 wrote: »
    Will it not all just flare up again though after the lockdowns are lifted?

It depends.

If we go on lockdown, and totally destroy the disease, we could see a flare up if the UK sits on its hands in the meantime, and we get someone coming into the republic subsequently, and reintroduces the virus.

If Ireland and Northern Ireland both get rid of the disease (which I think is still manageable) then there could potentially be the possibility of putting in restrictions to try and stop the reintroduction of the disease. China is currently looking at this.

On the plus, we are an island. On the negative, we are really small and massively dependent on our neighbors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭timmyntc

sparkle109 wrote: »
    Will it not all just flare up again though after the lockdowns are lifted?

Do as China does, quarantine all visitors from abroad on entry.

It would mean business as usual (mostly) inside Ireland - we'll all have to holiday in Ireland over the summer though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

18 people currently in isolation in the Clayton hotel today for corona virus! 2 people air lifted to hospital last night. The Media aren’t reporting on it either? This **** is getting a little too close for comfort!!! #ClaytonHotel #CoronaVirus

Oh dear god!
    Not the Clayton!
    Again?
    Is the one on the quays or Christchurch or Belmullet this time?
    IT'S A COVER UP HUN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nthclare wrote: »
    If there was a shutdown
    Anyone who lives rural life and by the coast or near the woods probably have more of a chance staying sane.
    Rather than being in suburbs, at least one could have a sneaky walk.

I imagine if on lockdown we could take the car and go for a spin ? We often park at the sea and read a book or just watch the waves . Would that be banned I wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The society with the biggest risk of social breakdown is the US. Expensive healthcare coupled with high rates of gun ownership and underlying social tensions.

The prison population is over 3 million. An outbreak among inmates, confined in close proximity could overwhelm hospitals.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Is this the same hotel as last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you saw my previous post about this, but we actually probably do want it to spread, just more slowly than it has been. Unless the whole world manages to go on complete lockdown for maybe 4 weeks, we are not going to actually stop this outbreak. So it *will* spread, either now or later. So the idea is that we show the spread to allow the hospitals to cope with the % that will need help, all the while building up community immunity to help slow it further.

So you're saying that we're going to have to have coronavirus parties if the numbers dip too low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you saw my previous post about this, but we actually probably do want it to spread, just more slowly than it has been. Unless the whole world manages to go on complete lockdown for maybe 4 weeks, we are not going to actually stop this outbreak. So it *will* spread, either now or later. So the idea is that we show the spread to allow the hospitals to cope with the % that will need help, all the while building up community immunity to help slow it further.

Huh? :confused: What we know for an actual fact.

Absolute inaction will not slow down the outbreak, how many examples of hospitals been over run do you need at his stage?

Herd Immunity is only effective above 50%. That would mean over 2 m people would have to get it and recover from it.

The battle has been well and truly lost if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

What is it about the Clayton hotel? Several of the previous thread were peppered with stories that it was awash with the afflicted. Think there were even some fake videos doing the rounds as well.

How long before the Dean Koontz book is mentioned again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Yep. The media blackout is holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

So pence has made a public statement that politicians will continue to shake hands as trump expects them to do so. What could possibly go wrong with idiots like that in charge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yep the latest in bad advice from senior HSE officials and their "scientific advisers".

I have this image of someone returning from their ski trip to Italy and going to the nursing home to tell their mother, father or uncle all about it. If they were dumb enough to go to northern Italy at a time like this you can be sure they are dumb enough to visit a nursing home.

Use your phone to call them FFS.

Are you actually getting het up by an imagined scenario here? Am I really reading these words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

dougm1970 wrote: »
    in northern ireland there have been 246 tests, with 18 positives.
    Yikes that is a lot of people positive per test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What one the Galway, Cork or Dublin one?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

timmyntc wrote: »
    Do as China does, quarantine all visitors from abroad on entry.

It would mean business as usual (mostly) inside Ireland - we'll all have to holiday in Ireland over the summer though :eek:

At the very least, more time is beneficial.

More time for retroviral drugs to be developed.

More time for a vaccine to be created.

Staving off an Italian situation is a sensible move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I’m currently in a Mc Donald’s in a provincial town. Place is empty. Myself and 2 other customers.

There is another one for the deniers.

Think about this how long will it be before places like this start letting people go?

Economic damage will be massive with this thing.

gmisk wrote: »
    Yikes that is a lot of people positive per test!

Not very many tests, meaning that they were targeting suspected cases I guess.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Yep. The media blackout is holding.

They'd be nearly cured at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to say, that's the second time in a few days that a case has popped up in a country I'd never heard of.

Reunion island isn’t a country, it is part of France ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The society with the biggest risk of social breakdown is the US. Expensive healthcare coupled with high rates of gun ownership and underlying social tensions.

The prison population is over 3 million. An outbreak among inmates, confined in close proximity could overwhelm hospitals.

Imagine it getting a hold in Florida

Think about this how long will it be before places like this start letting people go?

Secondry problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

I thought you were taking the p*ss, but alas no....

Saw that too... what a first image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If it is....there isn't even a Clayton hotel on the street named (Pearse street)...
    Amazing these things keep popping up again and again with zero evidence

I feel so, so sorry for private businesses dependent on discretionary spending at the moment. It must be very frightening and distressing.

It would help if some sort of financial assistance were made available. There should be active discussions about what could be done.

The UK is halting all business rates for the coming year I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭rameire

I think its from the same 'person' on twitter as previous.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I imagine if on lockdown we could take the car and go for a spin ? We often park at the sea and read a book or just watch the waves . Would that be banned I wonder ?

I hope not to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Clonshaugh , off n32 beside Supermacs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Are you actually getting het up by an imagined scenario here? Am I really reading these words?

That is one scenario.

The use your phone comment is about all visitors. They should use their phone to call instead of putting vulnerable lives at risk.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    If it is....there isn't even a Clayton hotel on the street named (Pearse street)...
    Amazing these things keep popping up again and again with zero evidence

Well I'm sure it's in the East of the Country anyhow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement