Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Basically any country who followed WHO advice about travel and flights (most countries in Western Europe including Ireland) have seen an explosion in cases.

Those countries who ignored WHO advice on restricting flights from hotspots came out well from this.

Far East Asian countries for the most part ignored WHO advice on air flight restrictions. Lucky them!

The Chinese told the WHO to f*ck off when they tried to muscle in. Lucky they did also.

Yep. I live in Canada and the Canadians have taken some of the advice and ignored some of it. For example when they confirm a cases they fully outline publicly, in great detail, the movements of that person in the days prior to the case being confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

It really is hilarious to see the complete meltdown - it's very easy to separate the posters who've lived through real issues like the cold war in the 80's, where worldwide destruction was a real possibility, and the lads who are ****ting themselves at this.

Your medals in the post..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It really is hilarious to see the complete meltdown - it's very easy to separate the posters who've lived through real issues like the cold war in the 80's, where worldwide destruction was a real possibility, and the lads who are ****ting themselves at this.

What complete crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

That was a testing time, but you know nothing actually happened? are you sayin that this is still just a possibility of a pandemic?

How would you even begin to stock up? I buy as I need. Wouldn’t have been able to stock up 3 weeks ago. All the food would have been gone by now.Diet already consists of rationed type food like kidney beans, chickpeas, dried fruit, frozen veg.

Thinking of buying a fishing rod and or alternatively learn to catch fish using a spear.

I bought fresh vegetables and meat and cooked loads of different dishes. Then I portioned them into the tubs you get in the Chinese and froze. Living on pasta isn’t good for you. Cook and freeze nutritious meals. Probably loads of veg in shops as people buying tins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Soap doesn't kill virus and bacteria. Washing hands with soap is effective because of the rubbing/rinsing motion. You can't apply that when cleaning surfaces and door handles

that is true. Same that you don't need hot or warm water - water would have to be boiling point to be effective.

Soap loosens bacteria and means it washes off and down the sink - hence the requirement for decent washing time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People would've wanted them lynched 3 weeks ago if they suggested implementing these measures then. We had no cases and Italy had only 3 at that stage. Enough with the stupid revisionism FFS.

Yeah. I cancelled a minor event this week and I'd several people telling me that I was "being completely over the top" and "do you have OCD or something"

People can be extremely fickle and utterly unreasonable about these things and always have great wisdom in hindsight, despite being utter morons in foresight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

tenor.gif?itemid=4625854

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

There will be nothing left in the shops for the people who went to work today, nice reward for providing the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Aldi in Ballyfermot. It's packed but not completely crazy. Queues barely moving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

More horse****, i lived through the 80's, and the recent recession with a mortage on my back and children, you can be wise and strategic without ****ting yourself.

I have food stocked, because i always have for years, and recently bought it slowly over weeks preceding this....... actually when china announced it had a major issue.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    You think that shutting down schools etc 3 weeks ago would've been tolerated when no other country was doing that in Europe at that stage. The experts on boards (who even now still think this is just a bit of a bad flu) would've lost their shiiit.

Ahh, so wait until someone else does it, then its ok, more crap

we should have reacted when it was confirmed in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

And both sides of the iron curtain stood up and applauded facehugger99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I've seen a lot of comments (both here and public statements) along the lines of 'The WHO has commended Ireland on doing a good job.'

I'm genuinely interested to know why we value their opinion, and advice, so much? Is it simply because they are the WHO?

I listened to this podcast last week, and the journalist is not impressed AT ALL with the WHO as an organisation.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts/209-front-burner/episode/15764334-u.s.-scrambles-to-contain-covid-19-and-its-a-problem-for-everyone

Essentially, they f*cked up big time for the Ebola outbreak in 2014. They said that they would do some soul searching and make some changes. However, she points out that their budget (and presumably by extension, their resources) have not increased at all since then.

The bit about the WHO is pretty short, and starts at around the 10 or 11min mark.

I have no idea if she's right or not, so I'm interested to know if anyone else has come across similar information. Or is she swimming against the tide of opinion here? I feel it's important, because all through the development of Covid-19, the Irish Govt and health officials have repeated over and over 'we are following WHO advice'.

WHO depend on governments for funding and many of them have reduced their contributions since 2008.

I think they are doing an excellent job, they warned the world in January that this disaster was coming down the tracks.

It's not their fault that so many sat with their fingers up their asses doing nothing, until they were staring down the barrel of the gun.

Their advice is just that 'advice' and is not written in stone. They always say it should be adapted to local circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Dailymail have stated that Boris’s strategy is ‘herd immunity’. I think his strategy is Not to follow the lead of EU countries so that the U.K can stand out and this is political posturing and because of the economy.

Fry: "I heard one time you single-handedly defeated a horde of rampaging somethings in the something something system"

Brannigan: "Killbots? A trifle. It was simply a matter of outsmarting them."

Fry: "Wow, I never would've thought of that."

Brannigan: "You see, killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down. Kif, show them the medal I won."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

laugh wrote: »
    There will be nothing left in the shops for the people who went to work today.

Shops get re-stocked and will remain open!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

There will be nothing left in the shops for the people who went to work today.

People who go to work regularly are probably a little less likely to be panic buying excessive amounts of toilet roll and pasta anyway... we'll be fine on that front, there isn't going to be a food shortage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

DOCARCH wrote: »

Wait and see, the store room only holds so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

silver2020 wrote: »
    that is true. Same that you don't need hot or warm water - water would have to be boiling point to be effective.

Soap loosens bacteria and means it washes off and down the sink - hence the requirement for decent washing time

It's not true! Soap is a surfactant and kills bacteria. Also destroys viruses. Surfactants disrupt bacteria cell membranes and virus coatings and kill them. It's actually far more effective than alcohol based hand sanitizers. There's some science for all the hand sanitizer panic buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I bought fresh vegetables and meat and cooked loads of different dishes. Then I portioned them into the tubs you get in the Chinese and froze. Living on pasta isn’t good for you. Cook and freeze nutritious meals. Probably loads of veg in shops as people buying tins.

Where did zi say I eat pasta. Frozen veg is just as nutritious as fresh. Fresh just tastes better to most people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

I would suggest steering well clear of the shops today. - how many of those panic buyers are wearing gloves and masks?

Surely the object of the game is either:
    - get infected and recover early while there is still a health system/ventilators

or

- Don't get infected.

Wuhan didn't run out of food.

• Advertisement

Never seen so many people in a supermarket on a weekday- trollies are stacked to the brim- much more so than Christmas week- panic buying is truly alive in Ireland this week

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wait and see, the store room only holds so much.

OK...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not true! Soap is a surfactant and kills bacteria. Also destroys viruses. Surfactants disrupt bacteria cell membranes and virus coatings and kill them. It's actually far more effective than alcohol based hand sanitizers. There's some science for all the hand sanitizer panic buyers.

Take your science right the **** out of this thread. We are here for rumours and over-reactions! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Retr0gamer wrote: »

When we're licking our hands clean are we supposed to do it for 20 seconds or 20 minutes? I can never remember.

Where did zi say I eat pasta. Frozen veg is just as nutritious as fresh. Fresh just tastes better to most people

Birds eye frozen peas FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Aldi in Ballyfermot. It's packed but not completely crazy. Queues barely moving

Panic food buying is simply unnecessary. There isn't a supply chain issue. But panic buying will ensure one. The irony.

Never seen so many people in a supermarket on a weekday- trollies are stacked to the brim- much more so than Christmas week- panic buying is truly alive in Ireland this week

....and all giving each other the virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Croohur1

Shops will remain open yes, but a lot of staff won't be able to work as at home minding kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Facehugger99 and cockroaches will be the only survivors after the end of the world. Both having already survived the Dinosaur extinction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

DOCARCH wrote: »

I'm in retail. Panic buying will cause major issues. There is plenty of stock to keep things going for months (Brexit was handy of one thing) in the warehouses around the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement