Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you had no symptoms why would you have got tested?????

I'm not sure. They both felt ill but not the typical symptoms so decided to be asked to be tested for it.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

We have plenty of Grass.

I'll be getting an ounce in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I can wipe my hole for the next 17 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Ireland is a net exporter of food products. That will stand to us.

Exactly. I dont think many farmers will be off work for 5 weeks.
    Business as usual.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Why are we not all eating soap?

Panic buyers cleared the shelves and left none for us :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Supervalue online site down.

Who said don't panic.

The irony is all the people hyperventilating while shopping are sure to boost our infected count in 2 weeks time when they start getting sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Someone needs to have a word with that person about milk.

think il wait til next week for a shop 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You all had weeks to stock up. Weeks. All a rush now
    This is it exactly, a few extra bits in the trolly last few weeks no big stress now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shirazhyder84

Went to a supervalue here in south dublin to have my lunch, the manager there was requesting everyone to calm down as they have plenty of supplies for everyone and will keep on restocking as there are no supply issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Absolutely mental out there except Iceland for some reason. Like Christmas without the turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Local Aldi is blocked!!! This is mental, people are going hysterical over this!!

Reminds me of the African plague of locusts!

They strip every shop in minutes and move on to the next one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Honestly anyone in a lidl/tesco/aldi etc now, get the fook out of it, it will be crawling with germs, you are really putting yourself and others ar risk. Shop tomorrow, it will calm, today is not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Damages the lipid layer on the virus structures though. Renders them inactive, and also the soap makes it easier to remove from the skin with rinsing.

Soap is made up od lipids same as bacteria/virus membrane. The soap disolves this membrane and once gone the RNA cannot survive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not true! Soap is a surfactant and kills bacteria. Also destroys viruses. Surfactants disrupt bacteria cell membranes and virus coatings and kill them. It's actually far more effective than alcohol based hand sanitizers. There's some science for all the hand sanitizer panic buyers.

+1 And washing up liquid is also a great soap. And you need to use barely any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Panic buyers cleared the shelves and left none for us :D

I have not checked since I have loads of soap.
    But is regular soap still easy to get in shops?
    It's far more effective than the hand sanitiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not. My children's school sent out a text saying schools closed from tomorrow. Why the fúck cant they just simply say 'school will close today at 3pm/4pm and will not reopen until 29th March. Then there is no ambiguity. I now have no idea if my kids school is open or closed tomorrow.

you have no idea?

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I can wipe my hole for the next 17 months.

You might starve to death but you'll have the cleanest sheriffs badge in Ireland doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

You can say people are idiots all you want, and they are completely overdoing the bulk buying, but the buying in bulk will cause a problem in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Always the same in this country.

No panic, no panic, PANIC, buy everything in sight.

Had we mild panic two weeks ago from the public and government we wouldn't need mass panic today.

macnug wrote: »
    Absolutely mental out there except Iceland for some reason. Like Christmas without the turkey.

We’re in real trouble when Iceland shelves are stripped bare :P

• Advertisement

Supervalue online site down.

Who said don't panic.

The irony is all the people hyperventilating while shopping are sure to boost our infected count in 2 weeks time when they start getting sick.

505334.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

LRNM wrote: »
    The moment I read the news article about schools and events closing I immediately grabbed my keys and went to the local and fueled up + got some essentials.

I was lucky I reacted so quickly. When I arrived there was only a handful of people getting things.

I spent about 15-20 minutes and by the time I was queueing for the tills people were arriving en-mass. The place was mobbed and there was a queue for petrol and the checkouts.

Still soap and plenty of food but I reckon give it a couple of hours and it's gonna be absolute mayhem,

This post is like a mini-essay on knee-jerk cause-and-effect in a public health crisis with no logic deployed in the interests of self-awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Will have to fight off every urge to eat like a king for the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The last place I’d be found in for the next few days is ANY supermarket.

The local Mace shop ten minutes away has everything we need and even if a little more expensive it’s great, and it’s good to support the local businesses, there is a top notch veg shop too that has artisan products, a butcher that will order what you want if what you want is not on display. I think we’ll be ok.

And in the spirit of things, ahem... I need to stock up the cellar, so have just rung in the order to the local off license, paid by card over the phone and it will be delivered this evening..oh and the chemist will also deliver scripts and other supplies..

No panic here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Seems like so many are illiterate when it comes to the household 101: have enough food in storage to get you tied over a whole week if you can't shop.
    Husband always thought we have a bit too much stocked. Jokes on you buddy, jokes on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Why are we not all eating soap?

You know what else has lipids, your insides :pac:

Always the same in this country.

No panic, no panic, PANIC, buy everything in sight.

Had we mild panic two weeks ago from the public and government we wouldn't need mass panic today.

Did you not listen to the HSE. They said there is a low risk chance of it coming here. Nothing to see carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not true! Soap is a surfactant and kills bacteria. Also destroys viruses. Surfactants disrupt bacteria cell membranes and virus coatings and kill them. It's actually far more effective than alcohol based hand sanitizers. There's some science for all the hand sanitizer panic buyers.

Plus plus for this post. The virus is coated in a lipid layer that soap breaks down and makes the virus fall apart basically. It is by far the most effective way of cleaning your hands. Hand sanitisers do work but are less effective and should only be used when you can't get to a sink/soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

laugh wrote: »
    505333.PNG

This is going on around the country right now.

Milk thats non perishable

• Advertisement

I’m going to freeze whole sinkful of soapy water- instant years supply-no hand sanitizers needed for me :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement