Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Can we quarantine all them Irish Gob****es in England who went to Cheltenham and are still flying out after the latest government announcement cancel the ferries and flights, let the English with the Boris herd mentality look after them.

Downlinz wrote: »
    What are people buying?

Dried food, frozen food and as much booze as they can fit in the leftover space in the trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

We’re in real trouble when Iceland shelves are stripped bare :P

Iceland has over 100 cases now, people probably don't want to risk it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Interesting article on BBC website saying worst case scenario would be 80% of UK population infected. However best case scenario, if delay tactics such as closing down workplaces etc and delaying this until summer with more people out in the fresh air, the number infected could be as low as 20%. Maybe clutching at straws, but I'll take anything right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Always the same in this country.

No panic, no panic, PANIC, buy everything in sight.

Had we mild panic two weeks ago from the public and government we wouldn't need mass panic today.

Exactly. The Government were like everything’s graaaaaand, Patrick’s day will go ahead and all meanwhile in Italy...

Varadkar finally bowed to the pressure of the ECDC and now everyone’s in 100% panic. Measured panic would’ve been much more appropriate, and telling people this is not a normal thing to occur... Tesco Extra has about a 1.5km queue. About 7x busier than Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

505335.jpeg

6xi1byx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

The last place I’d be found in for the next few days is ANY supermarket.

The local Mace shop ten minutes away has everything we need and even if a little more expensive it’s great, and it’s good to support the local businesses, there is a top notch veg shop too that has artisan products, a butcher that will order what you want if what you want is not on display. I think we’ll be ok.

And in the spirit of things, ahem... I need to stock up the cellar, so have just rung in the order to the local off license, paid by card over the phone and it will be delivered this evening..oh and the chemist will also deliver scripts and other supplies..

No panic here!

Not sure if this is genuine :D. If so, please bunker down in your wine cellar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭KaneToad

poppers wrote: »
    Soap is made up od lipids same as bacteria/virus membrane. The soap disolves this membrane and once gone the RNA cannot survive

Soap and handwashing is the best game in town. This article here explains it very well:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/science-soap-kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Plus plus for this post. The virus is coated in a lipid layer that soap breaks down and makes the virus fall apart basically. It is by far the most effective way of cleaning your hands. Hand sanitisers do work but are less effective and should only be used when you can't get to a sink/soap.
    Soap doesn't break down any part of virus. It only makes virus difficult to stick on the surface so you can wash them off.

Buy bleach. That is what works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

Large queues outside Lidl, security guards only allowing a couple in at one time

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

pc7 wrote: »
    Honestly anyone in a lidl/tesco/aldi etc now, get the fook out of it, it will be crawling with germs, you are really putting yourself and others ar risk. Shop tomorrow, it will calm, today is not a good idea.

The poor staff havent a chance.
    And in retail, they wouldnt like anyone to call in sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The logic behind 'social distancing'.

https://miro.medium.com/max/670/1*PZesaMfoPxgYJBoQVtpmjQ.gif

This web page is a great resource for anyone wishing to inform themselves about the pandemic and it's evolution.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Large queues in every shop. Absolutely nobody following the advice to not stockpile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Facehugger in with the Cold War veteran flex.

Tell us huggsie, were you flying spy planes behind the Iron Curtain or some sort of M16 agent chasing KGB over the rooftops of Dresden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

laugh wrote: »
    505333.PNG

This is going on around the country right now.

hope all that milk goes sour

stocking up on perishables is the definition of stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

laugh wrote: »
    505333.PNG

This is going on around the country right now.

wtf is with all the milk, that's utter selfishness. We have a house of 4 and struggle to finish 2L of milk a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where are all the massive crowds coming from that are panic buying? I thought today was a normal working/school day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm not going near a shop for a few days and then I'll do it first thing I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Where are all the massive crowds coming from that are panic buying? I thought today was a normal working/school day.

lunchtime, also Thursday is welfare day isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Janey mack... The Who have added to the list of drastic measures being announced today

lawred2 wrote: »

Possibly some people are not just shopping for themselves, but also sick or disabled family member's or friends who cant do it themselves.

We'll be lynching people soon if we think they buy too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Don't go into shops right now. It's not a storm that will pass in two days. Things will settle down within a week. Packing into the shop full of clueless panickers all touching stuff and crowding together is not a good idea.

And the shops especially the big chains knew this would happen and have had chance to be ready for it. Like Musgrave who run Supervalu did last week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Always the same in this country.

No panic, no panic, PANIC, buy everything in sight.

Had we mild panic two weeks ago from the public and government we wouldn't need mass panic today.

Yep - I have my supplies at home which I gradually built up over the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Many of the people who were saying doing this was stupid 2 weeks ago will now probably be rushing to the shops; while those of us who planned earlier will be having tea at home. I don’t expect they will thank us for having spread across the load on the supply chain and reduced the chance of panic related incidents at the shops though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

If there's plenty stock around the country how will it cause major issues?

Because it will be in the wrong houses.
    Person A will have more toilet roll than the need
    Person B has none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

lawred2 wrote: »

Indeed.
    Milk and its derivatives - surely one of the main export products of Ireland?

Being in a shop right now is stupid. - None of them in the pictures wearing gloves or face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

We are just animals with clothes really.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Janey mack... The Who have added to the list of drastic measures being announced today

Keep Townsend away from kids all the time. Not just with the Corona virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I was just out, had to get something in Dunnes. Queues down the aisles like at Christmas.

Queues of cars trying to get into Supervalu as well. This was about an hour after the announcement.

So glad I stocked up yesterday! Shop was virtually deserted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement