Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jester77 wrote: »
    wtf is with all the milk, that's utter selfishness. We have a house of 4 and struggle to finish 2L of milk a week.

Some people just drink plenty of milk. I do, it would still take me an age to get through all that but when I go back to the parents house for Christmas, my parents fill the fridge with the stuff. Plus you can freeze milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Dude89 wrote: »
    Large queues outside Lidl, security guards only allowing a couple in at one time
    balls,I'm single :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,999 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yep - I have my supplies at home which I gradually built up over the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Many of the people who were saying doing this was stupid 2 weeks ago will now probably be rushing to the shops; while those of us who planned earlier will be having tea at home. I don’t expect they will thank us for having reduced the load on the supply chain and the the chance of panic related incidents at the shops though.

Many of us did this in “preparation” of the stupidity of others.

Never, ever, underestimate the stupidity of the masses. Ever.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

khalessi wrote: »
    I am sitting here awake tears in my eyes reading this, cant sleep as my one of my kids is worried Im going to die. It was the last question I was asked last night before they fell asleep.The second last question was whether they would get it and die.

How do I reassure them?

What do you suggest Pseudonym?

This is heartbreaking

Well kids will be fine. Last I saw there was only one death under 19 in China out of over 3,000 dead so kids can catch it but will live.

As to you, handwash, socially distance and isolate and if you don’t catch it it can’t kill you. Apart from work I’ve been a hermit for the last three weeks.

If you do think you get it seek medical advice ASAP. The steps today are really encouraging and I’m far note optimistic now than two weeks ago because they are finally being drastic about imposing socially isolating each measures.

With the steps today ALL of our chances of getting out of this OK have just gone up. So I’m actually at my most optimistic since the last three weeks.

So if they can understand it I’d tell them that the adults are doing all the right things and so long as everyone does the right things (handwashing, social isolation etc ) then everything will be fine.

Obviously you’ll have to adjust that message to be age appropriate.

But really I’m feeling much more positive about this and what’s to come for the first time in weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We got an afternoon slot for delivery today from super valu this morning. Before the speech though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭subpar

All those returning from Cheltenham should be asked to self isolate for 2 weeks
    otherwise it could undo the benefit of the new measures the Government announced this morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

They said I was mad stocking up on bog roll last week.

WHO IS LAUGHING NOW!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just back from my local Tesco. Completely cleared out of stock. I was an hour waiting in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Many of us did this in “preparation” of the stupidity of other.

Never, ever, underestimate the stupidity of the masses. Ever.

Its amazing to me that as this was inevitable, people just sat and waited until Leo made it official despite products like bog roll, tissues, cornflakes, porridge having long shelf lives and they're thing you'd get through anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lawred2 wrote: »
    one would have thought but cowardly management will try to leave it up to till operators to enforce that...

so... won't happen

If they had big beefy security men by the tills... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Aldi in Trim is a war zone right now nothing left

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

hawkwing wrote: »
    balls,I'm single :-(

You forgot about your invisible Other Half (invisible, not imaginary!! There's a difference!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,999 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just back from my local Tesco. Completely cleared out of stock. I was an hour waiting in line.

And it will be restocked overnight. Supplies are not “cut”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Yep - I have my supplies at home which I gradually built up over the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Many of the people who were saying doing this was stupid 2 weeks ago will now probably be rushing to the shops; while those of us who planned earlier will be having tea at home. I don’t expect they will thank us for having spread across the load on the supply chain and reduced the chance of panic related incidents at the shops though.

Same here, only thing i don't have enough of is booze. Will head down to Tesco just before closing time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

On Classic Hits 4FM, callers phoning in with panic shopping stories - all since Leo's announcement.
    Tesco Clarehall shut for 30 mins for H&S issues due to amount of people inside and outside.
    Lidl Portmarnock milk supplies gone...add your own.

This is so fckin stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just watching rte news there now.
    Only them and there reporters can manage to put such a negative tone to the measures that were interduced.
    People knew that these measures were coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are the schools going to re-iterate to students how important it is for them to stay away from towns/cities/shopping centres etc to prevent the virus spreading to elderly/sick in their neighbourhoods?? Nopoint having 500,000 teenagers off school and wandering around in hoards, theyd be better off in school at that rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Same here, only thing i don't have enough of is booze. Will head down to Tesco just before closing time :)

There will be nothing left in the shop except Corona ... perfect planning ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Well I'm glad for you guys the Irish govt have come good - and doing things too early may have been counterproductive anyway as you know how silly people are. Remains to be seen how UK deals with current state of play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

laugh wrote: »
    Wait and see, the store room only holds so much.

Deliveries!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

There will be nothing left in the shop except Corona ... perfect panning ;-)

I'm not sure if I would prefer a dose of Covid over that ****e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I was mocked to the high hilt for my "prediction" when i sent those PM's by people here last night. My other "prediction" was re the number of cases.

Unfortunately start now to watch the real numbers come in now we are in lockdown as they are calling it.

PS
    They were not predictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Are the schools going to re-iterate to students how important it is for them to stay away from towns/cities/shopping centres etc to prevent the virus spreading to elderly/sick in their neighbourhoods?? Nopoint having 500,000 teenagers off school and wandering around in hoards, theyd be better off in school at that rate.

Yeah it's the schools job...definitely not the parents..christ sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Jesus wept.
    That's what parents are for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,580 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a surfactant. It kills bacteria and viruses and is far more effective than alcohol based hand sanitisers.

Take that as information from a scientist that used surfactants to rupture cells as part of a project. We used it because it was better than alcohol.

Yep. The main reason why labs use IPA as a disenfectant is because it doesn't leave residue behind, but all doctors and anyone in a clean room will wash their hands with soap and water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

You can always try Asian supermarkets, Polish supermarkets etc, they should be less crowed and stock lever should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

This spike in panic and rush to the shops was inevitable and well known to most who have been following events.

It was always going to go from containment to delay phase and based on this I prepared sensibly over the last couple of weeks. Nothing drastic, nothing crazy but enough.

This phase of delay will hopefully be successful but i will continue to sensibly prepare for the coming weeks in case it escalates to the third phase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

tom1ie wrote: »
    weekend booked away in Sligo with the wife and kids starting tomorrow. Would you lot go or what?

I wouldn't go to Sligo even in the good times, they're a rabid bunch there at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Aldi in Trim is a war zone right now nothing left

3-ply aloe vera too good for the locals :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement