Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    On Classic Hits 4FM, callers phoning in with panic shopping stories - all since Leo's announcement.
    Tesco Clarehall shut for 30 mins for H&S issues due to amount of people inside and outside.
    Lidl Portmarnock milk supplies gone...add your own.

This is so fckin stupid.

utterly depressing

also a little concerning given those are our locals :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Canonfan wrote: »
    You can always try Asian supermarkets, Polish supermarkets etc, they should be less crowed and stock lever should be good.

I would rather starve than eat the Polish cabbage stuff that comes in a glass jar. :pac:

Joking aside - not a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Ninthlife wrote: »
    This spike in panic and rush to the shops was inevitable and well known to most who have been following events.

It was always going to go from containment to delay phase and based on this I prepared sensibly over the last couple of weeks. Nothing drastic, nothing crazy but enough.

This phase of delay will hopefully be successful but i will continue to sensibly prepare for the coming weeks in case it escalates to the third phase

How are you preparing if you don’t mind me asking?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Many of us did this in “preparation” of the stupidity of others.
    Exactly. I knew this would happen. Been buying a little bit extra for a few weeks now but had planned on the weekend shop tonight. I'll get by until the restock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Canonfan wrote: »
    You can always try Asian supermarkets, Polish supermarkets etc, they should be less crowed and stock lever should be good.

I'll fight for that sauerkraut until my knuckles bleed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Graces7 wrote: »
    If they had big beefy security men by the tills... ;)

Got me one of those. Will eat him over the next two to three weeks or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

The people who are criticizing others for "panicking" are idiots imo.

Nobody is panicking like the keyboard warriors in here let on, nobody is off having a full of riot. It's not exclusive to this country either.

And people who simply have the sense to know that a global pandemic being announced with essentially half the country shut down for the first time in decades will require some extra essentials are doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

And it will be restocked overnight. Supplies are not “cut”.

Exactly !!!!
    WTF is all the panic shopping about ??? Retail Ireland have said that there is no problem with the supply chain and the have contingecy plans in place to ensure supermarkets remain stocked...

And can anyone please enlighten me as to the carnage re toilet rolls, seriously WTF is that all about ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Other than toilet roll and cleaning products what else do people see flying off shelves that might be difficult to get?

Downlinz wrote: »
    Other than toilet roll and cleaning products what else do people see flying off shelves that might be difficult to get?

milk

eggs
    pasta
    potatos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LRNM wrote: »

Nobody is panicking like the keyboard warriors in here let on, nobody is off having a full of riot. It's not exclusive to this country either.

And people who simply have the sense to know that a global pandemic being announced with essentially half the country shut down for the first time in decades will require some extra essentials are doing the right thing.

sure

just some "extra essentials" - that's what's usually considered to be panic buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Exactly !!!!
    WTF is all the panic shopping about ??? Retail Ireland have said that there is no problem with the supply chain and the have contingecy plans in place to ensure supermarkets remain stocked...

And can anyone please enlighten me as to the carnage re toilet rolls, seriously WTF is that all about ????

Two Irish positions:
    1. Sure, be grand
    2. PANIC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

[QUOTE=Cee-Jay-Cee;112806940 Nopoint having 500,000 teenagers off school and wandering around in hoards, theyd be better off in school at that rate.[/QUOTE]

Not literally though. I doubt any environment they'd be in would be as big a risk for virus transmission as the classroom. Plus you'd hope most parents would be responsible and keep them at home most of the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Yes, but they are making it worse!
    By packing themselves together in shops with no masks or gloves, pawing everything - what do you think that'll do to the figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Supervalue online site down.

I have supervalu shopping site up..

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Slight problem in that those who stockpile on essentials/soaps/hand sanitizers are forgetting that other people require them to get through this.

Braindead, the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I was mocked to the high hilt for my "prediction" when i sent those PM's by people here last night. My other "prediction" was re the number of cases.

Unfortunately start now to watch the real numbers come in now we are in lockdown as they are calling it.

PS
    They were not predictions

In my job security we were aware of collages and universities been closed since last week.
    Why did I not post anything about it because I signed a confidentiality contract in my job.
    I don't think people realise you can not shut places like this without planning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

everyone piling into shops is just going to spread the virus

Need shops to start doing deliveries although that would be hard to manage I would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

You can bet the "just the flu" people will be front of the queue pushing over anyone and everyone to get what's rightly theirs.

lawred2 wrote: »
    sure

just some "extra essentials" - that's what's usually considered to be panic buying

You'd be braindead to sit around twiddling your thumbs while a natural disaster looms over the world.
    Do you legit think this is going to blow over in less than a month and everything will be grand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Genghis

The first thing people do after the government announces a major plan to create social distance, is to see how quickly they can form mass indoor crowds crammed into every available supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

The toilet rolls thing is nuts....

paracemetol, lemsips etc I could understand --> how much bog roll does one need ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''But Leo'' ''But Trump'' ''Leo'' ''Trump''

Shut the f*ck up ya tossers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Aldi specially selected Bat Soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Depends how many live in your house. 4 in our house - 2 adults 2 kids. Go though at least one a day. Say 8 week. If someone if trying to stock up for say 2 weeks, that's 16 toilet rolls. And many want to stock up for longer. It's just simple maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Are the schools going to re-iterate to students how important it is for them to stay away from towns/cities/shopping centres etc to prevent the virus spreading to elderly/sick in their neighbourhoods?? Nopoint having 500,000 teenagers off school and wandering around in hoards, theyd be better off in school at that rate.

Their parents can tomorrow when the schools are closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Summer2020 wrote: »
    How are you preparing if you don’t mind me asking?

Ive bought just extra items when food shopping, maybe a jar of pasta sauce, 6 pack of beans, noodles, oven bake bread rolls. Ive a chest freezer too which is handy

Also made sure to buy calpol, neurofen and packs of paracetemol, again not drastic just ensured ive a fresh bottle/pack in the house.

My kids are a little older but i told them what is happening and what may happen so they understand and dont get caught up in any social media hype.

Everything I bought will be used regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The wan on newstalk is giving some good advice, however her suggestion that this is only for a week or two is somewhat misleading, and dangerous.
    It's not a few weeks, but months.

One very, very good item of advice was for any 'smokers over 60', to seriously consider to *cease with immediate effect*.
    A Pharmasist can supply nico pathes, hypno-MP3s are also avalable to download.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

ZX7R wrote: »
    In my job security we were aware of collages and universities been closed since last week.
    Why did I not post anything about it because I signed a confidentiality contract in my job.
    I don't think people realise you can not shut places like this without planning

It was decided on Tuesday, not last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

GAA: We are canceling all matches and training effective immediately, and ask clubs to minimise social contact.
    FAI: We'll meet with health board and govt officials later to take up their valuable time as they have nothing better to do, and also further meetings ourselves afterwards before getting back to you.

Source: https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-ireland-taoiseach-5043337-Mar2020/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement