Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Depends how many live in your house. 4 in our house - 2 adults 2 kids. Go though at least one a day. Say 8 week. If someone if trying to stock up for say 2 weeks, that's 16 toilet rolls. And many want to stock up for longer. It's just simple maths.

And one of our kids is still in nappies, so doesn't use toilet roll. I can only imagine how much bog roll a house with 3 teenage sons would use in a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

LRNM wrote: »
    You'd be braindead to sit around twiddling your thumbs while a natural disaster looms over the world.
    Do you legit think this is going to blow over in less than a month and everything will be grand?

From current reality: shops are replenished daily in Italy and have been so in Wuhan during the outbreak
    Panic is a natural reaction, no judgement here. But it's not justified

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

kyote00 wrote: »
    The toilet rolls thing is nuts....

paracemetol, lemsips etc I could understand --> how much bog roll does one need ?

It one of two things:

COVID-19 gives you the sh1ts - fake news

There's an awful lot of people who are only starting to clean their arses properly this past week - highly likely lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, The Cove is one of the few politicians you can take seriously.

I hate this and love it in equal measure.

Bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm in Barcelona, all schools in Catalunya closed from tomorrow, good move.
    Working from home too, will be fun with the kids :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Downlinz wrote: »
    Other than toilet roll and cleaning products what else do people see flying off shelves that might be difficult to get?

Duck chicken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

If you want to force the government to take more proactive measures, show your support for this petition:
    https://www.change.org/Covid-19IE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

LRNM wrote: »
    You'd be braindead to sit around twiddling your thumbs while a natural disaster looms over the world.
    Do you legit think this is going to blow over in less than a month and everything will be grand?

the supply chains aren't dead yet, there will be silly stuff going on in the supermarkets over the weekend.

The shelves will be restocked by tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

To clarify this not quote from me. Was sent this earlier and i replied saying 'it's scaremongering BS ', however im not so sure now after a bit of googling "https://mobile.twitter.com/PenIslandCafe/status/1238083412021387265

1. 20% of people will be hospitalised.

2. Many of these will develop Bilateral Interstitial Pneumonia.

3. Even if you survive this episode the long-term consequences can be devastating. There are many types of interstitial lung disease but mean survivals range from 2.5 to 7 years. Let's be optimistic and assume that with this it is 5 to 10 years. "

What do people think, do ye think is there a reason to be a lot more concerned? I can see a lot of people are abused on this forum for stating their opinions as fact, I am in no way doing this or purposefully adding to peoples worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

Ha, all of you panicking and panic buying...

I bought my crossbow and shotgun weeks ago. I'm prepared for when all of you turn into Corona zombies!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Let them off, when the shelves are full again the others can get fresher produce.

Looks like my hoarding wasn't a bad idea after all, ive 6 bass on the top shelf of the freezer all gutted and wrapped in clingfilm.

Seatrout on the next one, all rod caught, within date of consumption frozen.

Stacks of mackerel down lower a few pollock and cod for Sunday.

At least I know what's going on the pan or into the oven :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

just tried to get baby formula and had to leave the shops :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Ive bought just extra items when food shopping, maybe a jar of pasta sauce, 6 pack of beans, noodles, oven bake bread rolls. Ive a chest freezer too which is handy

Also made sure to buy calpol, neurofen and packs of paracetemol, again not drastic just ensured ive a fresh bottle/pack in the house.

My kids are a little older but i told them what is happening and what may happen so they understand and dont get caught up in any social media hype.

Everything I bought will be used regardless
    I think someone mentioned you can only buy one box of paracetamol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The level of panic buying is a bit disgusting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Omackeral wrote: »
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, The Cove is one of the few politicians you can take seriously.

I hate this and love it in equal measure.

Bravo.

Simon Cov-id?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lawred2 wrote: »
    hope all that milk goes sour

stocking up on perishables is the definition of stupid

Milk freezes well; I only have access to fresh milk every 2 weeks so always freeze some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Why? Cause you were upset you have a child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

GAA: We are canceling all matches and training effective immediately, and ask clubs to minimise social contact.
    FAI: We'll meet with health board and govt officials later to take up their valuable time as they have nothing better to do, and also further meetings ourselves afterwards before getting back to you.

Source: https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-ireland-taoiseach-5043337-Mar2020/
    I got notification from the DDSL (largest league in the country) and the NDSL before Leo even finished his speech that all activity was suspended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Satellite towns like Gort, Oranmore and Kilrush might be ok to shop in.

I think I'll give Ennistymon a miss still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

eastie17 wrote: »
    And now they're all going to be sitting on social media with nothing else to do for the next 3 weeks. God help us all with the ****e they will come out with

Maybe we could get this thread locked down and only accounts created before 6pm this evening can post? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It would be good if pavee point gave a press conference, calling on travellers to refrain from flocking to A+E to visit relatives as is their custom, staff will be under enough pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

SSeanSS wrote: »
    To clarify this not quote from me. Was sent this earlier and i replied saying 'it's scaremongering BS ', however im not so sure now after a bit of googling "https://mobile.twitter.com/PenIslandCafe/status/1238083412021387265

3. Even if you survive this episode the long-term consequences can be devastating. There are many types of interstitial lung disease but mean survivals range from 2.5 to 7 years. Let's be optimistic and assume that with this it is 5 to 10 years. "

What do people think, do ye think is there a reason to be a lot more concerned? I can see a lot of people are abused on this forum for stating their opinions as fact, I am in no way doing this or purposefully adding to peoples worry.

I think that there should be a reputable source for this. Otherwise it's BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Why? Cause you were upset you have a child?

1/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

kyote00 wrote: »
    The toilet rolls thing is nuts....

paracemetol, lemsips etc I could understand --> how much bog roll does one need ?

It is because when someone sneezes 100 people sh1t themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Genghis

Government should have considered panic buying. I understand in Italy the retailers and government stressed the following:

1. One of only 3 legitimate reasons to leave your home was to buy groceries (other two being significant family occasions and essential work).

2. Retailers promised to keep their doors open, their tills manned and shelves stocked, but stressed this could only be done if people didn't panic.

This well considered approach has worked, normal supply is available, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Jeez baby formula is so simple....

Boy meets girl, girl meets boy, both like each other etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

SSeanSS wrote: »

That came from this forum last night.

Nobody is verified on this site so take everything with a pinch of salt, but he/she does seem to know their stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

jester77 wrote: »
    wtf is with all the milk, that's utter selfishness. We have a house of 4 and struggle to finish 2L of milk a week.

When I was a teenager, we as a family of five got through 4L of milk a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Slovakia (currently 16 confirmed cases) has just announced:
    - Border checkpoints
    - Restriction of international travels
    - Closure of schools, entertainment and leisure infrastructure, sports centres, ski resorts, swimming pools, and night clubs
    - Closure of shopping centres during the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

And one of our kids is still in nappies, so doesn't use toilet roll. I can only imagine how much bog roll a house with 3 teenage sons would use in a week!

Tell them to start using a sock FFS :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement