Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wouldn't go to Sligo even in the good times, they're a rabid bunch there at the best of times.

I am from Sligo and this is complete bollocks... we're actually far worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Why? Cause you were upset you have a child?

That's a lame response to a mother who needs to feed her baby, as I said you'll always get sociopathic psychopaths on these threads.

Soulless gomals, fishing for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

As above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Why? Cause you were upset you have a child?

Why the sarky unhelpful comment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Depends how many live in your house. 4 in our house - 2 adults 2 kids. Go though at least one a day. Say 8 week. If someone if trying to stock up for say 2 weeks, that's 16 toilet rolls. And many want to stock up for longer. It's just simple maths.

one a day! no wonder you've one cold hand, your other must be wrapped in bogroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Omackeral wrote: »
    I hate this and love it in equal measure.

Bravo.

You can take him seriously because the way he talks and holds his chin slightly up wilst appearing gravitas appeals to you. If you dig down into his history and performance as housing/defence/and agri ministries
    you may form a different opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Just got sent a chainmail type text message... apparently hot water and lemon will cure the virus and kill cancer handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Sadly all this panic buying shows just how much some in society take notice of WHO etc
    The advice was not to panic,to all work together to push back this virus
    Instead it's turning into "every man/women for him/herself"
    Selfish right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Don't go into shops right now. It's not a storm that will pass in two days. Things will settle down within a week. Packing into the shop full of clueless panickers all touching stuff and crowding together is not a good idea.

100% this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

eldamo wrote: »
    the supply chains aren't dead yet, there will be silly stuff going on in the supermarkets over the weekend.

The shelves will be restocked by tuesday.

Correct, the supply changes are in very good shape as it happens. Once there are people to stock the shelves, it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It was decided on Tuesday, not last week

Thursday last week we were informed
    Trinity kind of let the rabbit out of the bag , but few coped it.
    And it will be for more than two weeks.
    What does it matter either way.
    There closed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Everyday I wake up with these nerves in my stomach, I think long term the anxiety and stress could be more damaging overall ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Was in the D4 strong hold of Tescos Merrion, traffic problems getting in, q's really long with people looking fearful and to top it all some poor guy having a fit on the ground, this just added to the panic, I was there for a litre of milk and some vitimin D supplements. I left without the milk got the Vit D in the pharmacy.Also some of the ohone network appears to be down in South Dublin so that adds to the calm.

People should calm down, they have not flattened the curve when it comes to buying stuff, I think we will not starve.

I am involved in the cafe business and people are stealing our toilet roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Scotty # wrote: »
    I got notification from the DDSL (largest league in the country) and the NDSL before Leo even finished his speech that all activity was suspended.

Great to hear those leagues taking matters into their own hands. FAI itself though is in relative paralysis:
    “The Football Association of Ireland will make an announcement on plans for all footballing activities under its jurisdiction after a meeting with Government, Department of Health officials and other national sporting bodies this afternoon,” the Association said in a statement.

Source is 1hour old: https://www.the42.ie/sport-shutdown-in-ireland-5043416-Mar2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm sat here WFH rubbing sanitiser all over my body, and I'll tell you what, I feel indestructible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

SHOPS HAVE GONE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have. For all the sound people offering to help a few elderly folks, there are more absolute arseholes bashing trolleys into each other and abandoning their cars on double yellows and in disabled bays. Real wanker behaviour on display out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Steve F wrote: »
    Sadly all this panic buying shows just how much some in society take notice of WHO etc
    The advice was not to panic,to all work together to push back this virus
    Instead it's turning into "every man/women for him/herself"
    Selfish right?

It happens everywhere where the reality kicks in at a certain point, either a jump in cases before or strict measures now. It'll subside but it's completely normal that people get spooked,none of us are rational in uncharted territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Mango Joe wrote: »
    This post is like a mini-essay on knee-jerk cause-and-effect in a public health crisis with no logic deployed in the interests of self-awareness.

quiet yourself there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

I thought the panic buying of toilet paper was a joke until I saw it today. I had to fight my way through a mob of old ladies just to get a couple of hundred rolls for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

INMO Trolley Watch figures for March 12th 2020

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

Big improvement over the last few days.

But still 106 beds short in Irish hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Everyday I wake up with these nerves in my stomach, I think long term the anxiety and stress could be more damaging overall ...
    might be just trapped wind,try bending up and down and hopefully it goes away

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

lawred2 wrote: »
    I've read and listened to many commentators and not one has detailed outcomes like this!?

What's this based on?

Where is China getting all the healthy lungs from?

Reading the actual research papers coming out of China and elsewhere - as opposed to the summaries elsewhere - experience teaching statistics and epidemiology in university, being a Consultant in the Irish healthcare system with 30 some years of medicine and hospitals behind me and yes, some extrapolation because it isn’t like they’ve done randomised controlled trials on all this stuff.

If I’m doubt feel free to look at what I was called insane for posting ten days ago and where we are now. I’ve been the first person to say a number of things which have come to pass.

In my day job I don’t argue with patients. It is my job to present them the facts, the research etc, leaven it with my own clinical experience and understanding of how research interacts with the real world and then allow them to make their own informed choices.

I’m TRYING to inform people here. If you choose to disbelieve this then that’s fine. I believe I have an ethical and moral obligation to try to inform at this time. I am not, however, going to argue or descend into justifying everything I say to everyone who wants to nitpick it.

You’ll believe what you want to. And now lunch is over and I need to go treat patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Don't go into shops right now. It's not a storm that will pass in two days. Things will settle down within a week. Packing into the shop full of clueless panickers all touching stuff and crowding together is not a good idea.

Missus just came back from a normal Thursday shop, apparently that bad she saw someone removing toilet wipes from someone else's trolly!

She just came home with her normal 9 rolls and muttering disbelief at how people are reacting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

hawkwing wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned you can only buy one box of paracetamol...

That's been the case for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

F*cking nuts out! Took me an hour just to get a few things 6 usually gotten on a thursday. Saw someone with trolley load and they didn't have enough to pay so someone off to bank while other waited.

Ardkeen stores nuts with backlog for parking and ar*eholes leaving their car there while they head off to the hospital. And very few people using the sanitizer

One thing I did notice was people coughing openly and mostly older people doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

If im off work for the next week, ill have the bait digging fork in the car, rods packed etc
    I love fishing and foraging.

Without living in fear, i think its times like this we've to use our natural instincts and prove to ourselves we can get through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m just back from the my local super value. It was absolute carnage. I’d advise anyone not to go near the shops for the next few days unless necessary, it’s totally ridiculous. They were playing “pump it up” in the shop while everyone was running around manic buying ****. It wasn’t helping lol.
    All I needed was bagels ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

It happens everywhere where the reality kicks in at a certain point, either a jump in cases before or strict measures now. It'll subside but it's completely normal that people get spooked,none of us are rational in uncharted territory

Well said
    Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

SSeanSS wrote: »
    To clarify this not quote from me. Was sent this earlier and i replied saying 'it's scaremongering BS ', however im not so sure now after a bit of googling "https://mobile.twitter.com/PenIslandCafe/status/1238083412021387265

1. 20% of people will be hospitalised.

2. Many of these will develop Bilateral Interstitial Pneumonia.

3. Even if you survive this episode the long-term consequences can be devastating. There are many types of interstitial lung disease but mean survivals range from 2.5 to 7 years. Let's be optimistic and assume that with this it is 5 to 10 years. "

What do people think, do ye think is there a reason to be a lot more concerned? I can see a lot of people are abused on this forum for stating their opinions as fact, I am in no way doing this or purposefully adding to peoples worry.

That's confirmed by the daily stats
    Deaths + Critically ill = roughly 20%
    Pneumonia damages the lungs permanently, that's also true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,602 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Cannot keep up with the thread

12 hours that changed ireland

Good to see they've relaxed the testing criteriia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement