Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

On a plus note.

Brexit was a blessing in disguise.

The bit of padding we built up will help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not very many tests, meaning that they were targeting suspected cases I guess.
    I meant more ROI is doing the same but a much lower proportion coming up positive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Clonshaugh , off n32 beside Supermacs

Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Some perspective on Italy's record on Deaths due to seasonal flu
    From the International Journal of Infectious Diseases
    Volume 88, November 2019, Pages 127-134
    In recent years, Italy has been registering peaks in death rates, particularly among the elderly during the winter season. An average of 5.2 million cases of Influenza per year with 68000 deaths in the study period 2014-2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

nthclare wrote: »
    I hope not to be honest.

Anything that doesn't involve close human contact between different households should be totally a-ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

We won't have a vaccine in time.
    But now it's time for some real changes, for example having a global or at least an European organization that is funded just as well as CERN is so to deal with creating vaccines with no regards for profit - this is why we don't have SARS and MERS vaccines, the profit to be made is too low and no publicly funded entity was able or tasked to create any. Maybe if we had those it would have been much faster to have one for this.
    We can continue to look into those black holes if we get to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

dougm1970 wrote: »
    in northern ireland there have been 246 tests, with 18 positives.
    That is nuts. Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I feel so, so sorry for private businesses dependent on discretionary spending at the moment. It must be very frightening and distressing.

It would help if some sort of financial assistance were made available. There should be active discussions about what could be done.

The UK is halting all business rates for the coming year I believe.

We saw over that last week or so, business online (educational equipment) for us would be very quite until the HSE press conference and they we would get the equivalent of a days sales in the hours after that. 2 days ago, that changed, it's grount to a halt, we sell to schools and creches, no orders from them and about an 80% drop in private sales

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Some perspective on Italy's record on Deaths due to seasonal flu
    From the International Journal of Infectious Diseases
    Volume 88, November 2019, Pages 127-134

Tut tut...you aren't even allowed mention the flu here or attempt a comparison. You will be sanctioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Secondry problem

Economic issues lead to humanitarian issues. Obviously we won't end up as a third world country but you can see the scale and how many more people die in poorer countries especially from things like the flu etc. Corona is serious but not the only thing that can kill you.

Remember people here want a complete overhaul of the health services, which relies on a large tax intake.

Have to say my grandmother's nursing home has been great. When the decision was made to close all homes we had a text within minutes. They had a conference call with a HSE rep the next morning which they informed of us beforehand and then let us know the outcome immediately afterwards. We've just gotten a msg to let us know they will be keeping their doors closed for now. We can ring anytime to speak to our family members and they update that everyone is good so far!

They have said if there is an urgent situation arrangements can be made. Presumably if your family member is very unwell. In my grans nursing home there is an emergency exit on every corridor (think most modern homes are the same) and if my gran was unwell for example we could enter that way and avoid all communal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I know this is a fast moving thread but can someone, ANYONE, PLEASE explain the Irish infatuation with "it's not affecting me so it must not be too bad". It's the same when there's a red weather warning in place, one side of the country could break off and float away due to wind and you'd had idiots on the other coast saying the warning wasn't needed.

This country needs to be put into lock down, schools need to be closed. Why are people so adamant that this isnt the case?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

This country needs to be put into lock down, schools need to be closed. Why are people so adamant that this isnt the case?

Normalcy bias as mentioned on other threads, they just can't see it, Wuhan won't happen here, Italy won't happen here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

quokula wrote: »
    0.0007% of the population of the island have the virus. That means you'd want to have a good hundred thousand people turn up at the home before there was a likelihood of some of them having the virus. And since the people that do have the virus or are suspected of having it are already being isolated, that chance is even lower.

There's a reason why most experts aren't recommending condemning elderly people to isolation and enormous mental health damage for what is still a vanishingly small chance of causing harm. If the numbers change, the advice will change.
    Your number is wrong because most people don't get infected directly by aerosol transmission!

Most people get infected by touching an infected surface like a door handle and then touching their mouth or nose.

So you can see a single infected person just going shopping in a town can leave their virus for hundreds or thousands of people a day if they contaminate a well used door handle. They will never meet in most cases. The virus can survive for days on plastics and stainless steel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-03-11.PNG?itok=hnFVDZr_

Lower numbers of daily cases in Europe today mainly due to Italy's lower numbers.

Same thing happened on the 3rd of this month.

Perhaps they are too busy with their tsunami of very sick patients.

pc7 wrote: »
    Normalcy bias as mentioned on other threads, they just can't see it, Wuhan won't happen here, Italy won't happen here etc.

I'm born and bred in Ireland like most of us here I would imagine. What the hell is wrong with these idiots? Why can't they see what's slapping them in the face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I think that's exactly what the EUs response has been. Economy first, people second, they'll pile us on a fire to keep the money rolling, and that's essentially what will happen.

It was such an illogical myopic response though, surely it was obvious that a scenario of prolonged widespread disease would have much worse economic reprecussions than shutting up shop for two or three months.

Similarly Ireland as an Island had a golden chance to avoid death and economic chaos, but even now we sit patiently waiting for a peak of inevitable disaster to be reached rather than attempt to put measures in place to prevent it.

It's all so bizarre, too bizarre to be attributed to stupidity, it's nearly ripe for some sort of conspiracy theory.

You didn't learn that from the financial crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I know this is a fast moving thread but can someone, ANYONE, PLEASE explain the Irish infatuation with "it's not affecting me so it must not be too bad". It's the same when there's a red weather warning in place, one side of the country could break off and float away due to wind and you'd had idiots on the other coast saying the warning wasn't needed.

Are you supposed to panic if you're on the coast where the warning wasnt needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

There are very few stating that; like with the abortion/ssm ref's, the public is going to have to drag the government over the line.
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The society with the biggest risk of social breakdown is the US. Expensive healthcare coupled with high rates of gun ownership and underlying social tensions.

The prison population is over 3 million. An outbreak among inmates, confined in close proximity could overwhelm hospitals.

Lmao if you think they are going to prioritise people in prisons for treatment.

• Advertisement

JMNolan wrote: »
    Are you supposed to panic if you're on the coast where the warning wasnt needed?

Jesus ****ing christ.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm born and bred in Ireland like most of us here I would imagine. What the hell is wrong with these idiots? Why can't they see what's slapping them in the face?

Fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to say, that's the second time in a few days that a case has popped up in a country I'd never heard of.

That's because Paris is actually a city ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Spook_ie wrote: »

Beasty's eye is twitching already

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

There is very little balance in these posts, Whatever the agendas and motivation on here it’s not for the greater good. I’m not sure do people just want to skive from work.
    Bottom line is out and about people are worried but no one I’ve spoken to at work (engineering based) will entertain the idea of a lockdown. They all have bills to pay and realise the economy is also vulnerable to an overreaction.
    Anyone I’ve spoken to believe the precautionary advice re hand washing and large crowds are sufficient and realistically all we can do short of breaking down society to cave man times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There is another one for the deniers.

Think about this how long will it be before places like this start letting people go?

Economic damage will be massive with this thing.

Its going to be massive either way.

Had Harris and the government shut down Italian flights 2 or 3 weeks ago, banned travellers coming to rugby matches that didn't exist, enforced isolation for anyone returning from Italy, advised employers to do the same, we'd be looking at miniscule numbers now. Daily life and the economy could have continued as normal.

Instead they failed to implement those early measures and now we have to move to the "nuclear" lockdown phase because the numbers will be too many, the contact tracing impossible and the isolation inadequate.

They procrastinate and delay at every stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

murphaph wrote: »
    Your number is wrong because most people don't get infected directly by aerosol transmission!

Most people get infected by touching an infected surface like a door handle and then touching their mouth or nose.

So you can see a single infected person just going shopping in a town can leave their virus for hundreds or thousands of people a day if they contaminate a well used door handle. They will never meet in most cases. The virus can survive for days on plastics and stainless steel!!!

Roughly 10% get infected from surface transmission.

90% came from family/close contact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement