Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Btw where's the love for Pat the baker this time?

DXMIBz3X4AEpDia?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

All secondary schools and colleges closed from tomorrow for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

Scotty # wrote: »
    I got notification from the DDSL (largest league in the country) and the NDSL before Leo even finished his speech that all activity was suspended.

Same here.
    Our soccer club messaged all coaches at 12.
    Obviously expecting it and had a message ready to go.
    Still waiting on our school to say what's the schooling plan if any for the closed weeks; they'll probably wait until all the kids have been collected so they don't have to listen to 'Karen'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Ireland doesn't really do social unrest in my experience of the place. Even in the midst of major financial meltdowns, we got on with it.

I don't think this will be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

And one of our kids is still in nappies, so doesn't use toilet roll. I can only imagine how much bog roll a house with 3 teenage sons would use in a week!

Many cultures wash their asses after a log, people used dock leaves in the days gone by, wsh your ass if you run out of paper, its not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I expect civil unrest in the coming weeks. Looting, theft of supply deliveries etc. In Indonesia there is home looting by gangs posing as 'containment officials.'

I also expect partial internet and cellular network shut-downs in a similar period. To 'curb panic'.
    I expect none of this will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

We were all slowly stocking up so this kind of stress on the system wouldn't happen! That's why buying every tin of beans in the shop is unwise. Not because they will run out!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Please do not go into packed shops today, social distance yourself, do the shop online if you can, the shops will be open tomorrow and the next day and the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

patnor1011 wrote: »

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Xertz wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't really do social unrest in my experience of the place. Even in the midst of major financial meltdowns, we got on with it.

I don't think this will be any different.

Only when there's snow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Fcuk the water, we need to panic buy jacks roll.

Surprising the number of homes with no tap water.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

patnor1011 wrote: »

Source?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Stocks are absolutely tanking, European stocks down around 10% and US 8%.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Castleknock Lidl is madness. Went in to do a normal daily shop to find a queue of cars out on the road to get into the car park and queues of people down the isles waiting for the tills with trolleys of stuff. Took an hour and a half to get a some milk and bread!
    Machine gunning these panic buying idiots would drive the societal IQ much higher. Someone on another thread hoped they'd also stock up on condoms to prevent the birth of more mouthbreathing morons. Like I've said before and history has shown, never ever underestimate the sheer bloody minded stupidity of the Mob in action.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

tuxy wrote: »
    Surprising the number of homes with no tap water.....

I know and the reservoirs and lakes completely flooded :D

Why buy water and why so much loo paper??

People really are dense these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The company I work for has a bio-sciences department that do high level consultations and they say we should be shut down and working from home. :rolleyes: but ignore the experts and wait for the bureaucrats.

Edit: Fair play to TCD for listening to their experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Boggles wrote: »
    Source?

Some Varadkar guy I believe. Suely a made-up name...

Went in a few hours ago to a supermarket to try and stock up a few things for my at-risk parents, had to walk out.

The idiocy on display is something to behold. Fresh fruit and veg mostly gone but tinned untouched. Queues out the door. Evil eyes building up. Really disappointing to see, wouldn't like to see what would happen in an actual disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

sudzs wrote: »
    I was in one of the big Tescos yesterday and ALL the pasta was sold out. All except the wholewheat stuff! The hoarders are willing to starve rather than eat wholewheat!!!

Apparently kitchen paper is tortuously inline toilet paper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LRNM wrote: »
    You'd be braindead to sit around twiddling your thumbs while a natural disaster looms over the world.
    Do you legit think this is going to blow over in less than a month and everything will be grand?

and do you think you're stocked up for over a month?

do you think today's buying will carry anyone over into the second half of April if everything goes to sh!t?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gmisk wrote: »
    I expect none of this will happen
    Exactly G, though I suspect some posters are pulling the skeletons outa themselves in their tear stained bedsits hoping it will.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

nthclare wrote: »
    Satellite towns like Gort, Oranmore and Kilrush might be ok to shop in.

I think I'll give Ennistymon a miss still

I'm in a satellite town and it is bonkers. Queues to park, no bog roll etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 12 March 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-03-11_2.png?itok=-Ikk3Fe0

The exponential growth of daily cases in Europe continues.

The daily figures are now WORSE than China's were at their peak.

Yesterday's reduced figures were a glitch because of difficulty reporting Italy's figures.

:-(

Larger version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Boggles wrote: »
    Source?

Source? Your having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Source?

What about primary schools and pre schools?

Home schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I feel surreal, like there's some kind of disaster movie on every tv, radio, website etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

What about primary schools and pre schools?

Home schools?

Have you any access to news at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Heartening to see the crowd numbers have held up at Cheltenham.

Not everyone buying into the mindless hysteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Reading the actual research papers coming out of China and elsewhere - as opposed to the summaries elsewhere - experience teaching statistics and epidemiology in university, being a Consultant in the Irish healthcare system with 30 some years of medicine and hospitals behind me and yes, some extrapolation because it isn’t like they’ve done randomised controlled trials on all this stuff.

If I’m doubt feel free to look at what I was called insane for posting ten days ago and where we are now. I’ve been the first person to say a number of things which have come to pass.

In my day job I don’t argue with patients. It is my job to present them the facts, the research etc, leaven it with my own clinical experience and understanding of how research interacts with the real world and then allow them to make their own informed choices.

I’m TRYING to inform people here. If you choose to disbelieve this then that’s fine. I believe I have an ethical and moral obligation to try to inform at this time. I am not, however, going to argue or descend into justifying everything I say to everyone who wants to nitpick it.

You’ll believe what you want to. And now lunch is over and I need to go treat patients.

What’s with all the patting yourself on the back?

All anyone had to do was look at China and Italy to see where we were heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

JJayoo wrote: »
    Lad I know in Dublin has two Italian housemates, they have been in country for 6+months. The lad comes back to house lastnight to find it full of sleeping bags. His housemates have taken in 10, yes 10, of their friends who have flown in from Italy. They are from the worst infection area and were too afraid to stay so why not hop on a cheap flight to Ireland. Imagine how many other Italians are getting out before the flights shut down on friday

****ing hell. People are scum, pure and simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement