Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Boggles wrote: »
    I wonder what data Tony Holohan saw last night that brought the "lockdown" forward.

Huge jump in numbers tonight, if it was only 9 or 10 we would not have had today's announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hmmmm Corona Virus advice from an Italian Doctor.....?

That's like a child safety advisory from the Catholic Church.

You would be wise to take heed of advice provided by health professionals at the coalface right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Talisman

May have been posted before ... Michael Osterholm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Weeks ago those of us adding a little bit to our shops were called out as loons. As I pointed out at the time, when the panic around this sort of thing occurs, it occurs quickly. Got plenty without disrupting supply lines and not standing in a queue full of panicked people, some of whom may help spread the virus. But yeah, we were loons. There were some very derogatory posters at the time. Hope they quietly went from scoffing at us and stocked up a little in advance for themselves.

No need to be so smug about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Genghis wrote: »
    The first thing people do after the government announces a major plan to create social distance, is to see how quickly they can form mass indoor crowds crammed into every available supermarket.

They're going to decimate the low-IQ portion of the National gene pool :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

UsBus wrote: »
    The country is full of absolute idiots full stop. Sheep who couldn't make up their mind to buy a few extra bits the last few weeks. They wait for Leo to make a statement, while probably slating him here for every thing he does.

I for one am delighted with the government response so far, balanced, controlled, level headed, not hysteric or reacting to social media rubbish

I also bought small amounts since the end of Jan start of Feb, but i do not agree with you on the government, they dithered and should have taken the initiative.

I was so infuriated to keep hearing them over the past couple of weeks saying they will only act on the advice they are given.

Are they not elected to make the decisions?

Bunch of ****ing wasters with no balls and have condemned more people to illness that could have been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

this is how the loons get their +1 on everyone else. :pac:

Boggles wrote: »
    I wonder what data Tony Holohan saw last night that brought the "lockdown" forward.

That is the most pertinent question asked here today and I really hope we get an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I just did an online shop - what's the big hoohaa! Lads 'stocking' up for weeks. 30 minutes on the computer and I'm in the same position as them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Reading the actual research papers coming out of China and elsewhere - as opposed to the summaries elsewhere - experience teaching statistics and epidemiology in university, being a Consultant in the Irish healthcare system with 30 some years of medicine and hospitals behind me and yes, some extrapolation because it isn’t like they’ve done randomised controlled trials on all this stuff.

If I’m doubt feel free to look at what I was called insane for posting ten days ago and where we are now. I’ve been the first person to say a number of things which have come to pass.

In my day job I don’t argue with patients. It is my job to present them the facts, the research etc, leaven it with my own clinical experience and understanding of how research interacts with the real world and then allow them to make their own informed choices.

I’m TRYING to inform people here. If you choose to disbelieve this then that’s fine. I believe I have an ethical and moral obligation to try to inform at this time. I am not, however, going to argue or descend into justifying everything I say to everyone who wants to nitpick it.

You’ll believe what you want to. And now lunch is over and I need to go treat patients.

What speciality are you as a matter of interest? Did I see psych or am I confusing you with someone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Oh my god I never reply to you because you're clearly deluded but what a 180 you've done since yesterday.

Posted this back in thread 2.

Called it.

You should have followed my advice.

The only reason to stockpile some food is to protect yourself from the panic-merchants that will cause a run on the shops.

A self-fulfilling prophesy that they can smugly tell us they predicted would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

That is the most pertinent question asked here today and I really hope we get an answer.

I'd be surprised if it's less than 20 cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Do people in this thread expect the country to remain in their homes for the next month? Expecting zero social activity is naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

One thing in all our favour is everyone of us is descended from a long line of survivors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I agree that the DOH must have seen a sharp increase in newly discovered cases last night in order to bring the lock-down forward by a day. But I think we're doing more widespread testing now anyway, so a sharp increase in confirmed positives was always going to happen.

I do think the UK are going to bring out similar measures when their Cobra meeting finishes. Maybe Varadkar wanted to get in there first. Or maybe he got sick of waiting for a co-ordinated EU response, and decided that Denmark had the right idea.

I see that Vincents are looking for staff - medically qualified as well as admin staff. Not that I'd particularly want to put myself in harms way, but that's a real call out for help - will people respond?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I need a bit of positive news like a crack head needs a hit ..

It must be a significant spike in cases and evidence of wider community spreading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭spakman

I also bought small amounts since the end of Jan start of Feb, but i do not agree with you on the government, they dithered and should have taken the initiative.

I was so infuriated to keep hearing them over the past couple of weeks saying they will only act on the advice they are given.

Bunch of ****ing wasters with no balls and have condemned more people to illness that could have been avoided.

They are acting on the advice and guidelines of our top medical professionals and the WHO.
    I think you need to put trust in those people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s not the number of cases. It’s the fact that it is spreading in the community without being accurately tracked. Very hard to control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

AdamD wrote: »
    Do people in this thread expect the country to remain in their homes for the next month? Expecting zero social activity is naive

This is why the UK hasn't done it yet, apparently UK Gov being advised by behavioral scientists not to lockdown until absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement

But look, the poor bugger is hungee

He can have food but he must provide his own Bog-Roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Called it.

Do you want some sort of medal for pointing out something any idiot could discern?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Insane, only going to get higher...

UK coronavirus cases reach 590 – an increase of 134 in 24 hours

10 Deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Reading the actual research papers coming out of China and elsewhere - as opposed to the summaries elsewhere - experience teaching statistics and epidemiology in university, being a Consultant in the Irish healthcare system with 30 some years of medicine and hospitals behind me and yes, some extrapolation because it isn’t like they’ve done randomised controlled trials on all this stuff.

If I’m doubt feel free to look at what I was called insane for posting ten days ago and where we are now. I’ve been the first person to say a number of things which have come to pass.

In my day job I don’t argue with patients. It is my job to present them the facts, the research etc, leaven it with my own clinical experience and understanding of how research interacts with the real world and then allow them to make their own informed choices.

I’m TRYING to inform people here. If you choose to disbelieve this then that’s fine. I believe I have an ethical and moral obligation to try to inform at this time. I am not, however, going to argue or descend into justifying everything I say to everyone who wants to nitpick it.

You’ll believe what you want to. And now lunch is over and I need to go treat patients.

So 20% will get this serious, I dont suppose you have even an inkling or back of a cigerette pack idea of how many of that 20% might get this lung condition that shortens your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I think it will be 8
    Don't know why just have that number in my head all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

My money's on 35. Are we starting a pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

They’re politicians! They have no expertise in any of this stuff - that’s why we have government departments and expert advisors. The politicians make decisions based on the advice they receive. As it should be - unless you prefer a politician to go on a solo run based on something he read on the internet?

Ffs. Some people are never happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

AdamD wrote: »
    It's survival of the least complacent now.

We need to encourage government action on the flights coming in and out of Ireland. We are going to be bombarded by people traipsing through Ireland from Europe to get to USUK.

Please support petition here:
    https://www.change.org/Covid-19IE

Also please do not believe that it is ok to contract this virus, it is massively debilitating and drastically reduces your lifespan.
    https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/
    That 'experts' are saying "most cases will be mild" is mind-boggling and incredibly damaging to public health.

Called it.

Oh right, so you still think we're losing our minds over nothing then like you repeatedly said? I'm not going to bother finding quotes because you know you were saying that, constantly, over several of these threads. I didn't stockpile all at once last week when the penny dropped, nor am I doing so now. We had enough supplies back in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

ZX7R wrote: »
    I think it will be 8
    Don't know why just have that number in my head all day.

If it's around 8-10 each day we can manage that. But if it gets into the launch pad a la Denmark we will have hundreds in jig time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

spakman wrote: »
    They are acting on the advice and guidelines of our top medical professionals and the WHO.
    I think you need to put trust in those people.

And who is telling them when to make the moves?

We are really about a week and a half behind where we should have been, when northern Italy went into quarantine, we should have then know this was in Ireland and closed schools in a planned and coordinated manner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement