Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

What speciality are you as a matter of interest? Did I see psych or am I confusing you with someone else?

He gets a lunch break, so that should narrow it down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

I'd be surprised if it's less than 20 cases.
    >50 would be a natural trigger point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Fergal Bowers is in the know and has hinted at larger numbers. 20-30 I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Candamir wrote: »
    They’re politicians! They have no expertise in any of this stuff - that’s why we have government departments and expert advisors. The politicians make decisions based on the advice they receive. As it should be - unless you prefer a politician to go on a solo run based on something he read on the internet?

Ffs. Some people are never happy.

THE EFFIN TAOISEACH WAS A DOCTOR! If he make some decisions no one can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

AdamD wrote: »
    Do people in this thread expect the country to remain in their homes for the next month? Expecting zero social activity is naive

No. But one of the reasons Italy is fúcked is they saw it as a holiday and carried on as so without social distancing.

Let's not be Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

tuxy wrote: »
    I have not checked since I have loads of soap.
    But is regular soap still easy to get in shops?
    It's far more effective than the hand sanitiser.

Washing up liquid. I use it for greasy hands as it's more effective on fats/grease than the liquid soap I have. I'll bet the stuff is pretty effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Another meltdown on the stock markets in New York and it's only opened 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Candamir wrote: »
    They’re politicians! They have no expertise in any of this stuff - that’s why we have government departments and expert advisors. The politicians make decisions based on the advice they receive. As it should be - unless you prefer a politician to go on a solo run based on something he read on the internet?

Ffs. Some people are never happy.

And yet people will go to mass gatherings like Cheltenham, holidaying in infected areas and hitting supermarkets like a newly opened donut shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

In this crisis some businesses will do really well, such as shops, suppliers, food producers and the like. It would be great if they could take on employees from the hospitality industry on short term contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I really doubtit will be any more than 7-10 new cases here. There doesnt seem to be any noticeable level of community transmission. I think it might actually be contained in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Another meltdown on the stock markets in New York and it's only opened 20 minutes.

Their clocks went forward last weekend! 1hr 20 mins :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

https://www.change.org/Covid-19IE

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/

If you think that then you're grossly misinformed.

Unilateral responses has caused ALL of the momentum we've seen. Cancelling parades all over the country made the government act.

"Hysteria" over school closures led to today's shutdown.

If we want to change the Zeitgeist, we have to express our opinion somehow. Trump has invited free movement between America and Ireland. We still have free movement to the EU. How do you think people from the Schengen region are going to attempt get to America?

Nope, there's a bullet pointed list of reasons behind the actions taken at every stage. It's quite scientific and unemotive.

A large part of the reason for the change today was updated guidance from the European Centre for Disease Control. It's no coincidence we're seeing a shift in focus across most EU nations today.

But sure, it's your online petition that's doing it all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pray for Tom Hanks

MV5BNWI4ZjZmMGUtMzU0NS00NGUzLWJiMDItZWI3ZDMxNjQ5NWU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,960_AL_.jpg

He doesn't look good, at least he's got a ventilator though.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Just as a matter of interest. Would countries like Spain. Portugal. North African countries get less outbreaks of the common cold and flu. Than countries with our climate. I always remember a cousin saying he lived in Spain for a few years and never got any head cold . And never seen many with it either. If this is true surely our bodies might have a higher tolerance to fighting any virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

wakka12 wrote: »
    I really doubtit will be any more than 7-10 new cases here. There doesnt seem to be any noticeable level of community transmission. I think it might actually be contained in Ireland.

Admire/envy your optimism lad

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

On the news earlier they implied that the decision to close schools etc. Was driven by information from the testing centre. My guess is that they are seeing established community transmission (hope I am wrong, though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Boggles wrote: »
    Leo reminded me of Bill Pullman in Independence Day.

"We will go on"

Actually reminded of another speech he did in that film where he asked people not to fire guns at the spaceship and evacuate in an orderly and calm manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Drumpot wrote: »
    So 20% will get this serious, I dont suppose you have even an inkling or back of a cigerette pack idea of how many of that 20% might get this lung condition that shortens your life?

Nobody knows yet. lets say 2 to 4%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So no indoor gatherings of more than 100 people but planes with over 200 people are fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

THE EFFIN TAOISEACH WAS A DOCTOR! If he make some decisions no one can!

He was a GP - still not an expert. He’s a politician now, and his job is to take advice from actual, current experts and make decisions based on that, not what was current in GP land 15 years ago.

I can’t believe anyone needs to be told this.

• Advertisement

All these people with their freezers jammed to capacity and the fridge overflowing ....and then the electricity goes out and doesn't come back for 2 weeks.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

dan786 wrote: »
    Insane, only going to get higher...

UK coronavirus cases reach 590 – an increase of 134 in 24 hours

10 Deaths.

I was fearing a bigger jump to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Will pubs be closed? Assuming shops will stay open obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Actually reminded of another speech he did in that film where he asked people not to fire guns at the spaceship and evacuate in an orderly and calm manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Oh right, so you still think we're losing our minds over nothing then like you repeatedly said? I'm not going to bother finding quotes because you know you were saying that, constantly, over several of these threads. I didn't stockpile all at once last week when the penny dropped, nor am I doing so now. We had enough supplies back in January.

I'm not sure what your confusion is.

People are panicking and acting hysterically as I predicted. It was imminently sensible to protect oneself against the mindless goons who rush to the shops because Leo made a speech.

Nothing I have posted has been contradictory to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Don't bogart that joint, bud..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

EDit wrote: »
    On the news earlier they implied that the decision to close schools etc. Was driven by information from the testing centre. My guess is that they are seeing established community transmission (hope I am wrong, though)

Pretty much. Essentially they are getting a flavor of the real numbers and from them they can extrapolate up.

The numbers may not be high this evening, the real data is how many positive tests versus tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,604 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Don't be scaremongering now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Pheonix10 wrote: »

If what Leo says happens pubs will be limited to 100 people. So no large night clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Wibbs wrote: »
    Machine gunning these panic buying idiots would drive the societal IQ much higher. Someone on another thread hoped they'd also stock up on condoms to prevent the birth of more mouthbreathing morons. Like I've said before and history has shown, never ever underestimate the sheer bloody minded stupidity of the Mob in action.

i absolutely loath these morons that horde **** up if they just stopped and thought for a min.. but no... off we go 3 tons of pasta and 400 rolls of bog roll please!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement