Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

What’s the story with workplaces, surely they’ll follow suit now that the government have closed schools and colleges. What’s the point of the policy otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

If every person on the planet took reasonable measures to avoid spreading the virus to and contracting the virus from the 4 people closest to them, i.e. the person to their left, their right, in front of them and behind them then surely we could contain this thing. If we all just think locally, in that small a circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I am currently in South America and am debating whether or not to return to Ireland soon as a result of this? What would you do if in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

wakka12 wrote: »
    I really doubtit will be any more than 7-10 new cases here. There doesnt seem to be any noticeable level of community transmission. I think it might actually be contained in Ireland.

There is nothing to suggest it can be contained, let alone is contained in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

tuxy wrote: »
    So no indoor gatherings of more than 100 people but planes with over 200 people are fine?

199 good

201 BAD

I would love to know where these crowd 'figures' come from, every country seems to have different figures.

Same about the indoor/outdoor 'safe' crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Working from home from tomorrow - gonna be so strange, never worked from home before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,604 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Mr. Trump sounded unwell yesterday

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1238115796758519808

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Amirani wrote: »
    Nope, there's a bullet pointed list of reasons behind the actions taken at every stage. It's quite scientific and unemotive.

A large part of the reason for the change today was updated guidance from the European Centre for Disease Control. It's no coincidence we're seeing a shift in focus across most EU nations today.

But sure, it's your online petition that's doing it all :D

I sure that's true but Government Depts and politicians are watching the public opinion on this too on sites like this and otherwise. It would be foolish to think it doesn't come in to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If every person on the planet took reasonable measures to avoid spreading the virus to and contracting the virus from the 4 people closest to them, i.e. the person to their left, their right, in front of them and behind them then surely we could contain this thing.

Wait, there's someone behind me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Steve F wrote: »
    I think it's because there will be a lot more cases coming down the line.....

I agree I was takin the pee of another certain poster.

I posted a link yesterday that clearly shows once you have your first death you can certainly say you have well over 200+ cases in the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Will pubs be closed? Assuming shops will stay open obviously

Forced pubs closures will be the inflection point...then anarchy ensues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Mwengwe wrote: »
    I was fearing a bigger jump to be honest.

One paper I posted some time ago was mentioning a daily growth rate of 20-25%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

wakka12 wrote: »
    I really doubtit will be any more than 7-10 new cases here. There doesnt seem to be any noticeable level of community transmission. I think it might actually be contained in Ireland.

That's a very optimistic viewpoint imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I was a bit worried in the busy Dunnes earlier, I was looking for one thing that was sold out in SV but I got a few bits. Worried cos there were crowds; I was in and in under 15 mins, used the self service isle, bags instead of a trolley, and then use hand sanitizer when I got back in the car.

That's it now, I'm done with shops. I eat whatever is in the house for the next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I can genuinely recite the script of that film from memory at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wait, there's someone behind me?

Elderly couple behind me in aldi today just kept pushing their cart into me and then the ole f*cker coughed without covering his mouth at least he coughed into his wifes face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Candamir wrote: »
    They’re politicians! They have no expertise in any of this stuff - that’s why we have government departments and expert advisors. The politicians make decisions based on the advice they receive. As it should be - unless you prefer a politician to go on a solo run based on something he read on the internet?

Ffs. Some people are never happy.

FFS, it doesn't take a ****ing genius to see where it was going after where China ended up start of last month.

As soon as it landed in Europe, the EU leaders should have already been planning to shut down the EU, its only put off the inevitable.

Anyway, theres no point arguing about this ****, we all need to work together now with respect for each other and stop the worst from happening.

we need social cohesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I agree I was takin the pee of another certain poster.

I posted a link yesterday that clearly shows once you have your first death you can certainly say you have well over 200+ cases in the region.

Oh sorry.Thanks for the clarification.

This thread is getting so cloudy now its getting harder and harder to decipher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Reading the actual research papers coming out of China and elsewhere - as opposed to the summaries elsewhere - experience teaching statistics and epidemiology in university, being a Consultant in the Irish healthcare system with 30 some years of medicine and hospitals behind me and yes, some extrapolation because it isn’t like they’ve done randomised controlled trials on all this stuff.

If I’m doubt feel free to look at what I was called insane for posting ten days ago and where we are now. I’ve been the first person to say a number of things which have come to pass.

In my day job I don’t argue with patients. It is my job to present them the facts, the research etc, leaven it with my own clinical experience and understanding of how research interacts with the real world and then allow them to make their own informed choices.

I’m TRYING to inform people here. If you choose to disbelieve this then that’s fine. I believe I have an ethical and moral obligation to try to inform at this time. I am not, however, going to argue or descend into justifying everything I say to everyone who wants to nitpick it.

You’ll believe what you want to. And now lunch is over and I need to go treat patients.

Hmmmm..... Rational, logical thinking expressed lucidly and clearly in precise and measured terms.

You must feel so, so lonely on this thread :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You tell us.

It's called a question, sarky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

theguzman wrote: »
    I am currently in South America and am debating whether or not to return to Ireland soon as a result of this? What would you do if in this situation.

How isolated are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

fritzelly wrote: »

standing beside both him and Pence

who are BNO news anyway? Are they legit or just another fake news internet 'news' desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

199 good

201 BAD

I would love to know where these crowd 'figures' come from, every country seems to have different figures.

Same about the indoor/outdoor 'safe' crowds.
    Low enough to do some good, high enough that there is a reasonable chance they'll be followed.

Balancing act depending on advice received and temper of a given population.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

lawred2 wrote: »
    standing beside both him and Pence

Could be like Designated Survivor :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Ireland barely 50 cases and we re shutting down

We Italians thought the same when the first case showed up, or the second, or the 50th... look where we are now.
    So please, don't try to be braver or smarter than us. Anticipate it, or you'll find yourselves in the same mud we are in now.
    I hope others can learn from what we didn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I was a bit worried in the busy Dunnes earlier, I was looking for one thing that was sold out in SV but I got a few bits. Worried cos there were crowds; I was in and in under 15 mins, used the self service isle, bags instead of a trolley, and then use hand sanitizer when I got back in the car.

That's it now, I'm done with shops. I eat whatever is in the house for the next week or so.

Got any pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Third ambulance to visit clayton hotel clonshaugh today.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

theguzman wrote: »

I supposed to fly out to Buenos Aires tomorrow. Also debating whether to go now. Are there restrictions where you are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

"For it is before the walls of Minas Tirith that the doom of our time will be decided, and if the tide be not stemmed there, then it will flow over all the fair fields of Rohan, and even in this Hold among the hills there shall be no refuge".

That's where we are folks, the time to see whether we're a selfish narrow-minded bunch of post-colonial westernised ****wits, or whether we're a people who survived near-genocide, centuries of religious, political and economic oppression, and understand that there are entirely other ways of living that you can embrace if you want your loved ones to survive, and for a little while we can do whatever is necessary if it means the vulnerable are protected as best we can.

If you ever sang a rebel song and felt your heart swell, this is what you were singing about: self-sacrifice for the greater good, swimming against the tide, doing the unthinkable. Staying in when you want to go out, telling the landlord/bank to go whistle, looking after your neighbours and washing your fecking hands.

And there'll be plenty of time for another re-read of Lord of the Rings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ireland barely 50 cases and we re shutting down

I dont get it, Ive lived through the troubles, 2 gulf wars, afghanistan, the Ukraine, scores of african conflicts and not to mention the balkans. And not a bother till now, pansies

You are seriously unlucky with your holiday choices.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement